Got screwed on a reman from Ford

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Way back in '05, I cracked a head on my '66 restomod. A buddy of mine works in parts at my Ford dealer and he said he could get me a '93 Cobra reman long block from the Ford Parts catalog. With my discount it was $1900. I bought one in June of '06. Well, I already had another project going and didn't get around to doing the '66 until now. First, I find out it doesn't have GT40 heads. I don't know what they are, but there's a "T" in the casting. My buddy thinks it's possible it's a truck head. I had a Comp Cam put in so now I see what cam came out of the reman. Wasn't able to figure what the hell it was. Pull a head off and it's got cast pistons. The only thing that is Cobra on the reman was the Crane Energizer rockers. Everything else was garbage. The rebuild tag on the motor had the correct Ford part no. for a '93 Cobra... F3ZZ6V012BBRM. Dealer Engine Sales out of Indianapolis, IN did the rebuild. They essentially did the bait and switch. Funny thing is that I'll be in Indy next week for the MCA show. I probably shouldn't give them a visit... you'll probably see me on the news that night! :fm:

floodstang

Established Member
I know what you mean. I bought a reman H.O. short block around '91 and it had Badger brand cast pistons. I don't know what cam was in it, I put a B303 in it before I installed it. That engine took a beating though!

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
It does suck but at the same time why didn't you check it back in 06 when you got it? Also in 05-06 how many reman 93 cobra short an long blocks are actually out there. This just kinda lesson learned deal. Always check the product an 1900 bucks for a cobra motor reman is a good deal btw.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
me32, it never occurred to me to check that what I got is actually a Cobra motor. If I bought it from a private individual on eBay, yeah sure, but I got it from Ford and you just trust it is as advertised. I'm not really blaming Ford for it, other than the fact that they used a company that pulled the wool over the eyes of their customers. BTW, Ford doesn't use Dealer Engine Sales anymore. Yes indeed, it is a lesson learned. The $1900 price tag probably should have alerted me. I picked up some aluminum heads with 2.02 intakes and with the cam I put in it, I'll end up with about 100 hp more than a stock Cobra motor. It was a costly lesson though :burn:

WillyB93

Established Member
Just bring a buddy and bail money if you do pay a visit to them. LOL What are you bringing to the show?

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I got a bunch of buddies that'll be there and my sister-in-law's uncle lives there... he probably knows a good lawyer! :rolling: I'm taking my Boss to the show. I'm not really into the show scene, but 11 years after I bought it in boxes, it's finally done! :banana: I figure an MCA show is a good way to "authenticate" the restoration. I took to the Buffalo Motorama in March as part of my local club's display and it did very well. Dan Woods of "Chop Cut Rebuild" said he loved the car.

9426731797_49cab605da_c.jpg

Are you going?

WillyB93

Established Member
Looks good to me, I am planning on attending wit my SSP coupe. Me and a few buddy's will come in together, with another coupe and a couple 93 cobra's.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Based on what you said, I'm guessing it came with the Mustang GT heads. These have a casting number of E7TE. If it came with those heads, I'm also guessing it came with stamped steel rocker arms instead of the Crane 1.7 roller rockers that originally came on the 93 Cobra.

I wasn't even aware they made a complete reman engine built to 93 cobra specs. Ford does make new long blocks with GT40P or GT40X heads though.

See if you can take it back. Get a short block, rebuild the OEM heads and reinstall your original cobra parts.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
A friend of a friend also said it has the E7TE heads, but it does have the 1.7 Crane roller rockers. I got a brand new block I bought from Summit back in '96 or '97 when Ford dumped all their 5.0 blocks that I'm going to build a 327 stroker and sell that reman. I bought the reman back in '06 and just never checked it out. The part no. is FZZ3-6VO12-BBRM and it is still available from Ford parts.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
The part no. is FZZ3-6VO12-BBRM and it is still available from Ford parts.

It's actually "F3ZZ-6V012-BBRM". It should be priced around $2190 employee price (plus a $400 core charge), and it might a bit tricky to get. They're not discontinued, but they're not exactly available. Ford/GPD shows zero in stock or available. My distributor is checking into the exact status (out of curiosity). Generally in a case like this, they're out of rebuildable pieces, and are just waiting for cores to make their way through.

Users who are viewing this thread