Got rid of my wheel hop...

sir-blah

Established Member
I got my new suspension put in and got to test it at the track. Even dumping the clutch at 5k I didn't wheel hop. I wanted to lower the car, but I couln't get in and out of my driveway with a normal setup so I called up AirRide.

Video 1
Video 2

YGETV8

Established Member
Does it work without the dog?! LOL!

Looks nice... may I ask what that sets a guy back and how hard it is to install?

sir-blah

Established Member
The ride is awesome. What is nice is I can make it ride harder or softer without much time at all. The body roll is much less pumped up, or it can ride like a boat on a softer setting. It was in about the $1500 range for everything. I got a little deal from airride when I ordered it because it was the first one they had sent out.
I will try to get a better video for the few people who have asked. I only had a memstick at the time. Until then, here is a pic of the solenoid and tank setup.:
DSC00129.JPG

And the Controllers:
DSC00133.JPG

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
I never though I'd see a cobra hitting switches. lol

How doe the car handle compared to stock? Does it corner better. This may be an alternative to coil overs.

Do you think it's possible to get a full write up?

J15BIG

Established Member
i was thinking of coil overs soon but maybe air ride is the way to go? need more info though...

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
I never though I'd see a cobra hitting switches. lol

How doe the car handle compared to stock? Does it corner better. This may be an alternative to coil overs.

Do you think it's possible to get a full write up?

The car handles all around better than stock. Cornering is very precise. It can be adjusted to have near 0 body roll. I haven't played to rough with it in the twisties yet but from what I have had a chance to do, it does very well. A MM coil over was my first choice, but after talking to AirRide they guaranteed that this system would perform as well and have more adjustment. The main difference being that height and ride adjustment would be as simple as hitting a button. I can drive my car around at an inch off the ground all day, then go pick up three adult passengers and not bottom out or have to bust out the ride height adjustment tool.

At the track on Friday night I was able to get my 60' time down lower than I ever have before with no change other than the suspension. With the ability to change front, rear, right, and left ride height on a switch weight transfer is easy to dial in. My previous best 60' was a 2.0xx and I would be lucky to reproduce it. This time with the airride I was able to be consistently in the 1.8's and as low as a 1.680. And remember this is a vert.

I don't know for absolute that this is better than the coil over system for something as specific as say an auto-x car, but it is much more flexible for a car that is driven. The coil over drop was just out of the question for me since I would be locked out of my driveway with it.

hj16

Established Member
Originally posted by dgussin1
This may be an alternative to coil overs.
David, please make sure to note the following:

Coilovers = 30lb weight reduction
Air-Ride suspension system = 100~?lb weight ADDITION

I think the choice is obvious:idea:

sir-blah

Established Member
Originally posted by 04blackmach
Holy shit! You added a minimum of 150 lb:eek:

The whole kit, in boxes didn't weigh 150lbs. The bags are lighter than springs, the only real added weight was the tank and solenoids.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
Of course you know that the first to try a new mod is morally and legally obligated to post a complete and detailed write up with pics....:)

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Originally posted by sir-blah
I got my new suspension put in and got to test it at the track. Even dumping the clutch at 5k I didn't wheel hop. I wanted to lower the car, but I couln't get in and out of my driveway with a normal setup so I called up AirRide.

Video 1
Video 2

Cool setup. Off topic but wheels and size are those? Your car looks great!

Venix

Venomous Productions
Established Member
did yall happen to see the other bottle in the trunk? A new set of pills, and that weight addition will disapear really fast.

sir-blah

Established Member
Sorry, gonna be A day or two, I had a little problem with a tire being slashed and a bad scratch on the trunk. I took it into the body shop but forgot to get the vids. I will get it ASAP.

sso2028

Established Member
sounds like you put in a straight axle 8.8 set up i didn't look at your video but if you did that then you did not by anymeans get rid of the wheel hop with the irs with street tires. i think that is what everybody is looking to do.

Users who are viewing this thread