got pulled, fighting it

Menasor

was comming home from work
got up near wallmart, slowed down cuz there are useually cops there.
got past the cop spot and excelerated, then one got on right infront one me. so i slowed down agian
he was haulling ass so i prusude thinking all was fine
he took it up well over 100, he was just in sight while i proceded to do excess speeds.
i get up top of the hill near ex86
i see he is stoping so i slow down
then half way down the hill a second cop with no lights not even head lights throughs them on right behind me
i pull over.
they ask how fast i was going i say about 75
they ask how fast i was going when i first saw him get on, i say about 80.

my ticket says 85.
i was doing well over that, plus it doens't say radar on the ticket so i am thinking they had no clue. just a good guess
i also got no front plate and something else i can't read. i think it says view obscured, i have an air freshener hangn from the rear view. the front plate, i have no clue how cuz he didn't go infromt of me car.
the total ticket price is 447
279 for speeding
78 for the view thingy
and 93 for the plate.
i am gona fight this so any help is good help.

jshen

Established Member
Lesson #1

No flame intended...but you don't know what kind of call officer was responding to, if any, but to speed up & follow is pretty much asking for trouble. The officer behind you was probably pacing you which is legal. Then again maybe they were both working together to see if someone would follow an officer at excess speeds. In my old days, it was done all the time. I would be going to a call only to see some guy following me at speed. If someone got to my call before me and canceled me....that guy following ALWAYS got a ticket. I might add, I never lost one in court and the judges don't like citizens following officers.

My .02 worth

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Here in CA our CHP cruisers have both forward and rear-firing radar, so he/she can read your speed coming or going, stationary or moving. Following them at a high rate of speed is not recommended. :beer:

Menasor

ok, i talked to the state trooper up the road from me.
he said i'm a dumb ass.
but he did tell me the whats what.
it is ilegal for them to be going excess speeds without lights on.
he told me the best defence to use. here goes.

i was cruzing along, slowed down cuz i know this spot is patroled by
cops. then all the sudden this cop gets on the highway doing over 80mph.
i was told by a state trooper that in instances where the police are
speeding past me with no top lights lit on idel.
that i should get the plate number and call it in at my convieience.
so i proceded to follow the oficer up the hill at speed of 80
he the excelerated well up over 120 mph. i decelerated cuz there was no
hope of getting said plate number.
cruzing at 75 i crested the hill, saw the officer stopping. i slowed
down to the posted limit, 65. then right behind me a trooper with no
headlights not even top lights turned everything on at once.
i pulled over and was very polite and respectable.
obviously they were pissed at me for atempting to get his number,
because i have all the other rediculious charges on the ticket as well as
speeding.

so there ya go. and i don't think he was answering a call cuz he stayed there, he was the one that wrote the ticket. if he had a call his partner would have wrote it no?

on a side note while i was sitting there a third cop went by and stopped someone else for speeding about 1/4 mile ahead of me.

sharkbite

Filthy
Established Member
You might be able to get the speeding dropped, but they'll still probably get you for the license plate. I'm guessing the car in front noticed your plate missing when you followed. I get pulled over every once in a while by a cop that was in front of me and noticed the front plate missing.

jshen

Established Member
Not a very good excuse

IMHO, most judges will see through that ...quickly. Granted I was an officer back in the old days....but there were plenty of times when I did not activate emergency equipment but exceeded speed limit. For example, the how many times have you seen blue lights activated only to have the motorist slam on brakes and come to a complete stop in the middle of the road....Happened too many times to count when I had emergency call necessitating me get there in a hurry..only to have the blue lights slow me down. Another example, a crime in progress. I am not going to tell bad guy I'm coming by using siren and lights.

We to have code section addressing using emergency equipment but. I work "very closely" with LEOs now and understand why, at times, they don't use lights....Again, no flame intended but I would try a different route. "Sorry Judge- I wasn't paying attention to the speed.

Good luck

jshen

Established Member
You're Welcome

We are all "CAR GUYS" and to any extent I can help you...give me a "pm" :beer: :beer:

Ginsu

Established Member
Re: Not a very good excuse

Originally posted by jshen
IMHO, most judges will see through that ...quickly. Granted I was an officer back in the old days....but there were plenty of times when I did not activate emergency equipment but exceeded speed limit. For example, the how many times have you seen blue lights activated only to have the motorist slam on brakes and come to a complete stop in the middle of the road....Happened too many times to count when I had emergency call necessitating me get there in a hurry..only to have the blue lights slow me down. Another example, a crime in progress. I am not going to tell bad guy I'm coming by using siren and lights.

We to have code section addressing using emergency equipment but. I work "very closely" with LEOs now and understand why, at times, they don't use lights....Again, no flame intended but I would try a different route. "Sorry Judge- I wasn't paying attention to the speed.

Good luck

It has happened to me many times with my emergency equipment activated. I do not know how many times I had the pucker factor strong enough to make all the cushion of my car's seat completely disappear when a motorist slammed on the brakes in their lane of travel and right in front of me. Not only did the seat need replacing but also the steering wheel usually got bunt, and steering column also seemed to be a bit looser ,during the oh shit evasive action. And that was followed closely by a passionate punch to the dash board while cursing profusely. Though it is a liable gamble to hall butt without lights and siren on, but most of the time I got to priority calls quicker. Blue lights seem to make motorist loose their minds!! Remember.....yield to the right most lane for emergency vehicles!!!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by DaBigJC
ok, i talked to the state trooper up the road from me.
he said i'm a dumb ass.
but he did tell me the whats what.
it is ilegal for them to be going excess speeds without lights on.
he told me the best defence to use. here goes.

i was cruzing along, slowed down cuz i know this spot is patroled by
cops. then all the sudden this cop gets on the highway doing over 80mph.
i was told by a state trooper that in instances where the police are
speeding past me with no top lights lit on idel.
that i should get the plate number and call it in at my convieience.
so i proceded to follow the oficer up the hill at speed of 80
he the excelerated well up over 120 mph. i decelerated cuz there was no
hope of getting said plate number.
cruzing at 75 i crested the hill, saw the officer stopping. i slowed
down to the posted limit, 65. then right behind me a trooper with no
headlights not even top lights turned everything on at once.
i pulled over and was very polite and respectable.
obviously they were pissed at me for atempting to get his number,
because i have all the other rediculious charges on the ticket as well as
speeding.

so there ya go. and i don't think he was answering a call cuz he stayed there, he was the one that wrote the ticket. if he had a call his partner would have wrote it no?

on a side note while i was sitting there a third cop went by and stopped someone else for speeding about 1/4 mile ahead of me.

Good luck with that defense!!! No judge in this world will buy that story.

Also, you exceeding the speed limit to get his plate number is in violation of the motor vehicle code, so it isnt justified.

Lastly, I dont recommend "perjuring" yourself in a court of law!

You plain and simple played the game and got caught, there is not mitigation for that.

Users who are viewing this thread