Got orders to Korea

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I just left Kunsan, and got here to Eglin, AFB FL. Kunsan is ok man, for the first 6 months, after your "Mid-Tour" all you want is to be home, and back with your car. Exercises aren't that bad, know your shit (SABC, ROE, MOPP conditions) and their a breeze, really just extra SVTP time for me except in a gas mask.

Yes, A-town is still there, and the imported money sucking prostitues are still roaming in every bar. Don't get sucked into that, plus everyone has been inside of those women. A wedding ring just attracts them more, there looking for a way to the U.S.!

The pay is decent because your only bill is the internet, and drinking. Also, be prepared to do overtime on whatever program you get put on, everyone there has a "I'm only here for a year, who gives a F*CK attitude", so you're going to have to fix others mistakes before you.

Good luck, and you usually get whatever overseas tour you ask for. FYI if lakenheath is on your Follow on list, thats where your going to go lol.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Come on Matt... One tour. Just do one tour.... and then you can say it sucks. LOL I would go back especially if I need to do my KD time.

Can't do it! Too many hot chicks in the continental US for me to leave.

I wouldn't be opposed to going back to Europe though.

speedsun

Established Member
I just left Kunsan, and got here to Eglin, AFB FL. Kunsan is ok man, for the first 6 months, after your "Mid-Tour" all you want is to be home, and back with your car. Exercises aren't that bad, know your shit (SABC, ROE, MOPP conditions) and their a breeze, really just extra SVTP time for me except in a gas mask.

Yes, A-town is still there, and the imported money sucking prostitues are still roaming in every bar. Don't get sucked into that, plus everyone has been inside of those women. A wedding ring just attracts them more, there looking for a way to the U.S.!

The pay is decent because your only bill is the internet, and drinking. Also, be prepared to do overtime on whatever program you get put on, everyone there has a "I'm only here for a year, who gives a F*CK attitude", so you're going to have to fix others mistakes before you.

Good luck, and you usually get whatever overseas tour you ask for. FYI if lakenheath is on your Follow on list, thats where your going to go lol.

weren't you at the crestview meet at hooters the other week?

i'd imagine all of my oconus follow ons will be denied. I'm a 4.5 yr SrA with no line number and married. I would need 3 years overseas and 1 year back stateside retainability since afpc is jewing everybody around and rolled back hyt.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Are you doing 12 month unaccompanied? I'm looking for a duty station after Fort Bliss and Korea wouldn't be bad. I see your a Fister, so where are you getting stationed and could you take your family with you?

Pm sent. Some personal stuff I keep out of the public forum:beer:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
weren't you at the crestview meet at hooters the other week?

i'd imagine all of my oconus follow ons will be denied. I'm a 4.5 yr SrA with no line number and married. I would need 3 years overseas and 1 year back stateside retainability since afpc is jewing everybody around and rolled back hyt.

Yes, I was at the Crestview meet. Hey atleast your not like a few 7 year SrA I work with. I've been in 3 and tested for staff this year, pretty confident i'll have a line number also.

In the new terms of HYT Yes, you're right. You might not get overseas, but I'd still put some on there. Do you like Florida? Eglin is taking on TONS of people and we DON'T DEPLOY! :beer:

Stanger00

Established Member
Things must of changed. I extended 18 months to get my follow-on before I did my Kunsan tour. MPF screwed up my orders in Korea and gave me 24 month tour instead of an accompanied 36 month. I must of put that I was going alone since I was in the middle of a divorce. I ended up having enough retainability to squeeze out another stateside tour before I got out. 4 assignments in 7.5 years! Plus tdy's deployments.

Edit: will they really keep you from an overseas assignment of HYT is an issue? That's dumb because you could make rank while you are on your short tour and thus become eligible but may have to extend or re-enlist.

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Things must of changed. I extended 18 months to get my follow-on before I did my Kunsan tour. MPF screwed up my orders in Korea and gave me 24 month tour instead of an accompanied 36 month. I must of put that I was going alone since I was in the middle of a divorce. I ended up having enough retainability to squeeze out another stateside tour before I got out. 4 assignments in 7.5 years! Plus tdy's deployments.

Edit: will they really keep you from an overseas assignment of HYT is an issue? That's dumb because you could make rank while you are on your short tour and thus become eligible but may have to extend or re-enlist.

Yes, you could make rank. Unfortunatley the AF isn't willing to take that expensive of a risk. Traveling to overseas locations and making all the extra cash in COLA is a benefit, and they would rather give that option to troops not taking 8+ years to make E-5. It's much more expensive for them to bring you back to your home of record from overseas incase you DONT make that rank in time VS. moving you within the CONUS.

speedsun

Established Member
Yes, I was at the Crestview meet. Hey atleast your not like a few 7 year SrA I work with. I've been in 3 and tested for staff this year, pretty confident i'll have a line number also.

In the new terms of HYT Yes, you're right. You might not get overseas, but I'd still put some on there. Do you like Florida? Eglin is taking on TONS of people and we DON'T DEPLOY! :beer:

trust me I put eglin down for a follow on along with luke. I've deployed once with my unit and it wasn't bad I'd just care not to go again to Kandahar. Knowing my luck I'll just fill a slot in Korea for a year and get stationed right back at Hurby

Yes, you could make rank. Unfortunatley the AF isn't willing to take that expensive of a risk. Traveling to overseas locations and making all the extra cash in COLA is a benefit, and they would rather give that option to troops not taking 8+ years to make E-5. It's much more expensive for them to bring you back to your home of record from overseas incase you DONT make that rank in time VS. moving you within the CONUS.

pretty much, I start ALS next month so hopefully I'll get that line number in August and not have to worry about.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

LoL wut?

And I bet you will be bossin them there SrA around like a champ you big'ole (S)Sgt...:bored:

nitrovic

Established Member
I was in Osan in 96-97, I had a blast in Korea (and that was before the "internet craze).

I visited Kunsan (I played on the USAF basketball team) a few times. As others said, the downtown is not as good as Osan, but the brotherhood seemed better. Smaller bases make for better friends I guess.

CO_SVT

Established Member
trust me I put eglin down for a follow on along with luke. I've deployed once with my unit and it wasn't bad I'd just care not to go again to Kandahar. Knowing my luck I'll just fill a slot in Korea for a year and get stationed right back at Hurby

pretty much, I start ALS next month so hopefully I'll get that line number in August and not have to worry about.

Well being from AFSOC it's likely you will go back to AFSOC be it either Cannon or Hurby, but good luck. What's wrong with Kandahar? I know it isn't IDEAL but there are worse places...

Last edited:

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
LoL wut?

I just left Korea, everyone that had Lakenheath as their follow-on got it.. I know of no one who actually liked it after being there..

And I bet you will be bossin them there SrA around like a champ you big'ole (S)Sgt...:bored:

You must be one of those slow burning SrA? All I said is I was confident when leaving the test room...I'll take more money every time the opportunity is presented, not looking to BOSS anyone around, how much pull does a SSgt really have, not a whole lot...

BlackedSVT

Established Member
Dude...Korea is a blast if you want it to be. Work Hard, Play Hard.
Make sure you get out and see Korea though

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You must be one of those slow burning SrA? All I said is I was confident when leaving the test room...I'll take more money every time the opportunity is presented, not looking to BOSS anyone around, how much pull does a SSgt really have, not a whole lot...

Negative. I could go on and on about how I think you and others like you are the problem with the Air Force. But I will refrain in respect to the OP. But do not spread false info (your "get whatever base you want" BS) and not expect to get called out, especially when a follow up post is about your extensive AF career to include a condensing attitude about people who currently out rank you.

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
Negative. I could go on and on about how I think you and others like you are the problem with the Air Force. But I will refrain in respect to the OP. But do not spread false info (your "get whatever base you want" BS) and not expect to get called out, especially when a follow up post is about your extensive AF career to include a condensing attitude about people who currently out rank you.

I said you USUALLY get whatever Overseas base you want, meaning you will get one of the ones you put on your list (A choice of 8) because it's cheaper to keep you overseas once your already there..

Look up the word Usually...let me know if that means your 100% going to get it.

Yes, I'm sure I am whats wrong with the A/F and you're what keeps the planes in the air right? you came into a thread bashing a SrA motivated to make SSgt saying I'm looking to Boss troops around, and you don't know a thing about me or my ethic. You are a true leader my friend, and yes you CURRENTLY out rank me, but by your extensive ignorance I would expect this to be a past tense statement in the future, since you've already lost a line number once and took three times to make it...CHIEF SrA of the AF right??

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
OP go to Gimhae AB if you get a chance and get the spicy chicken at the chow hall on base. Pretty ****ing delicious. I don't drink soju but from what I'm told by the people that do the GwangJu soju is the best kind (GwangJu is a city). Up at Suwon there is a Chinese place outside the gate just past the train station that has some ****ing amazing chonpong (spelling/pronunciation I have no idea). I do a lot of traveling around to our COBs and am not allowed to eat at the chow halls so finding food is a high priority.

I said you USUALLY get whatever Overseas base you want, meaning you will get one of the ones you put on your list (A choice of 8) because it's cheaper to keep you overseas once your already there..

Look up the word Usually...let me know if that means your 100% going to get it.

Yes, I'm sure I am whats wrong with the A/F and you're what keeps the planes in the air right? you came into a thread bashing a SrA motivated to make SSgt saying I'm looking to Boss troops around, and you don't know a thing about me or my ethic. You are a true leader my friend, and yes you CURRENTLY out rank me, but by your extensive ignorance I would expect this to be a past tense statement in the future, since you've already lost a line number once and took three times to make it...CHIEF SrA of the AF right??

What is your job? Before you ask I'm a 3D1X2 Cyber Transport (damn you Air Force for coming up with one of the gayest names ever:cuss:). Just wondering.

Last edited:

speedsun

Established Member
Well being from AFSOC it's likely you will go back to AFSOC be it either Cannon or Hurby, but good luck. What's wrong with Kandahar? I know it isn't IDEAL but there are worse places...

smells like shit? haha

still waiting on a follow on :(

CO_SVT

Established Member

LOL are you really bringing your rank into a car forum????

smells like shit? haha

still waiting on a follow on :(

It does stink by the poo pond, but the whole place doesn't smell like it, unless you are up wind of it. I'd rather be here than Bagram.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread