Got my gears in today

F8tlByte

colorchngnSVT
Established Member
If your not sure how exactly to do it.... Just pay the $$ and have a pro do it for u. I think (but could be wrong) its only like 200-250 for install. Otherwise, do alot of research and give it a shot

MKSVT

Dosen't Wheel Hop
Established Member
If you have never done it before, i would recommend taking it to some who has or is a mechanic..

lazerred96

Established Member
I have never done a gear swap before. I have been reading alot on it and think I could do it if I had the right tools. But I'm almost thinking by the time I buy the tools and pay to have the bearings pressed I could have paid someone to do it.

Slow95Cobra

Certified in SVT by Ford
Established Member
Gears are something that you want to have done professionally........

yup, you dont know how many people come to the dealership asking questions and wanting spec and stuff for the swap. usually in the end they bring the car with a nice "whine" in the rear end. sucks to have it done twice...

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
Do the gears yourself. Save the moeny . It is simple to do. Before I did mine I was super nervous and stuff but just follow a write up its simple. Here look at one of my olds threads read through the write ups.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437649

Honestly if you have any mechanical inclanation you can do it.It was my first time.I have no gear whine at all. The most frustrating part is getting backlash correct. That is what took me a few hours. The rest was simple. Very simple. Make sure you have a place to get your bearings pressed. I always like to make sure I have all the proper tools before any project and have thourougly read all instrouctions. :beer: Pressing the bearings will cost you 20$ and dial indicator guage you can rent and a torque wrench. So you really dont need any special tools.Do it yourself and laugh at everyone when you have an extra $300 in your pocket! :banana:

Last edited:

roush24

Established Member
Or you can find somebody to do it like a mechanic on the side...i had a guy put my gears in for $100 so i made out pretty good on that end.

Toasty

Established Member
Do the gears yourself. Save the moeny . It is simple to do. Before I did mine I was super nervous and stuff but just follow a write up its simple. Here look at one of my olds threads read through the write ups.

http://svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437649

Honestly if you have any mechanical inclanation you can do it.It was my first time.I have no gear whine at all. The most frustrating part is getting backlash correct. That is what took me a few hours. The rest was simple. Very simple. Make sure you have a place to get your bearings pressed. I always like to make sure I have all the proper tools before any project and have thourougly read all instrouctions. :beer: Pressing the bearings will cost you 20$ and dial indicator guage you can rent and a torque wrench. So you really dont need any special tools.Do it yourself and laugh at everyone when you have an extra $300 in your pocket! :banana:

I have all the required tools in the garage and still paid someone else to install my gears. I build 5.0 engines for people as a hobby and been very successful at it, but would still rather pay someone to do my gears...

For 99% of the people out there, paying someone to do it is their best option.

fourvalvegt

Established Member
they really arent that hard to do but if you can find a good deal on it then just pay to get it done because once they whine they will always whine

1997cobrasvt

Established Member
I have all the required tools in the garage and still paid someone else to install my gears. I build 5.0 engines for people as a hobby and been very successful at it, but would still rather pay someone to do my gears...

For 99% of the people out there, paying someone to do it is their best option.

I really dont see why you are saying this...I understand you are mechanicly inclined..so gears should be an easy install. This is just like installing a clutch everyone says to take it to a professional. When in reality that is also very simple to do. I understand if you dont feel like doing it (lazy) no offense. If you got the money I guess pay someone. I have the money but prefer to do all my own work.People tend to treat there own things with more care. But if the op is curious to see if it is doable in an average garage in a weekend , yes it is.Just read up on it.If you take your time and achieve proper backlash you will not have any whine.All you need is a dial indicator!That is what takes the longest, the rest is cake. . :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread