Got my first ticket....

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
Well, it had to happened eventually. On my way down to San Jose on 580 to visit my dad, I was pulled over by highway patroll. I was in the fast lane passing cars (left most lane out of 4 lanes) The cop wrote the ticket out for "76+" in a 65..... it sounds kinda bad........

I think I have to go to court in Richmond "omg crime town?" I believe, even though it is not where I live. Is this right? What can I expect in terms of penalties. Im 17, 4 months away from being 18, so my parent will have to come. What should i say?

EDIT: lol btw, I was kinda nervous during the stop and may have been talking strangly, so he did that "follow my finger with your eyes thing" and asked if i had been drinking...

Last edited:

AZSnake98

NVWSSV
Established Member
EDIT: lol btw, I was kinda nervous during the stop and may have been talking strangly, so he did that "follow my finger with your eyes thing" and asked if i had been drinking...

Bahahaha!!! thats funny.

oldmodman

Established Member
McFly- asked if i had been drinking...[/QUOTE said:
And you answered "not yet, but wait till I get home!"

But seriously folks,

Pay the ticket, request traffic school, and do it on the internet. Cheaper than "in person" traffic schools, at least in L.A. County it is.

Watch your mirrors next time.

motoman991

Banned
*removed by moderator*

Please READ the guidelines for this forum and post constructively, on topic and not just for your own amusement.

thank you for your cooperation.

Last edited by a moderator:

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
McFly said:
Well, it had to happened eventually. On my way down to San Jose on 580 to visit my dad, I was pulled over by highway patroll. I was in the fast lane passing cars (left most lane out of 4 lanes) The cop wrote the ticket out for "76+" in a 65..... it sounds kinda bad........

I think I have to go to court in Richmond "omg crime town?" I believe, even though it is not where I live. Is this right? What can I expect in terms of penalties. Im 17, 4 months away from being 18, so my parent will have to come. What should i say?

Give the court a call, the clerk should be able to help you out. They may waive the appearance and let you pay through the mail. Almost every court in CA now recognizes on-line traffic schools so you should be fine.

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
oldmodman said:
Watch your mirrors next time.
I was! This guy was waaay back. I saw him when he was finally comming towards me, and I couldnt tell if it was a cop car or a car with a bike rack on it until he was closer.

Any more advice? Like how much will it cost?

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
I had a ticket a few years back for 11 over on a surface street, not highway. Ticket was $158 I believe, plus 40ish dollars for online traffic school.

Antagon

Established Member
I just did court for a similar ticket yesterday, came out to 109$ plus traffic school

CobraChris08

Why you pushing me?
Established Member
Don't sweat it. It's your first one and hopefully your last. You were only doing 11 over. Like others said. Pay the ticket and request traffic school.

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
I just got my ticket in the mail, but need a little help with what exactly to do.

It says:

"You have been cited with the following violations:
CVC 22349 -SPEED VIOLATION

Clear this citation on or before the due date of 07/12/06 by doing ONE on the following:
1) Pay $124.00
2) Appear in court at 3:30 any Wednesday except holidays.
heck in at the Clerk's office.

NOTICE: You are eligible for traffic school if you have not attended within the past 18 months. If you decide not to attend, your automobile insurance may be adversely affected. To attend traffic school, do not pay the above bail. Instead, check this box [ ] AND PAY FEE OF $148.00"

Ok, well everyone else I know who has gotten a speeding ticket has been required to go to court for it, but from what I read, I'm not sure if it wants me to. Does anyone know if I can send in the money without appearing? I think the officer said my "court date" would be on June 12th, but did that mean I had to go. This is in a different county BTW.

UCBeau

If you want to contest it, try ticketassassin.com, if you want to do what most of us do and just pay bail and do traffic school, follow the directions on the ticket :)

McFly

Pants!
Established Member
Well, I posted this because Im kind of confused. Every single person I know who has gotten a ticket has had to go to court for some reason. Do I not have to? Why would this be?

UCBeau

IIRC, my 1st ticket was on the 8, going out to school. I called the court, sent the bail money, and had to do traffic school by a certain date and that was it. My 2nd ticket I felt was unjust, so I fought it using ticketassassin.com and won and got my 350 bucks back.

crizzut

Established Member
mswaim said:
Give the court a call, the clerk should be able to help you out. They may waive the appearance and let you pay through the mail. Almost every court in CA now recognizes on-line traffic schools so you should be fine.

except orange county, among a couple more :mj:

sharkattack

2003 Cobra Silver
Established Member
You do not have to go to court. Just follow the instructions on your courtesy notice. If you go to court, they will then sched. you a hearing/ trial where you can fight the ticket. Speeding/ CHP, here's a hint.... You will lose. Pay the traffic school option and be done with it, lesson learned.

The court date you were given was for if you wanted to appear. Not mandatory.

I have been to the Bay Muni court in Richmond more times than I can count for people who want to fight tickets. CHP always shows. Richmond PD rarely shows unless it's a traffic officer. Good luck.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread