Got me a Cobra PICS!!!

mikev08826

Established Member
Got me a deal and some work to do!!! The sychros in 2nd and 5th are funny. When shifting into second the trans will grind unless you shift it just right (which I mastered on my 30 mile journey back home), and if you don't shift under 1200 rpm into 5th the gears also grind. Also needs motor mounts.

I guess my question is

How difficult are the motor mounts on the 4V to change?

I picked up a tranny for $450 and the motor mounts will be about $80 from ford.

All in all should be about a $6,000 cobra with 77k on the clock (tax and all the B.S. included.)

Another question is, I'm pretty sure this car has been beat to shit, not so much because the synchros went (10 year old car & 77k), but because the motor mounts are shot. Is this somewhat of a common problem you guys experience???

Also, how bullit proof are the motors?

IMG_1911.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I was thinking the car was beat on because of the low mileage broken motor mounts. It's funny you are thinking the same thing.
I've got 123k on the clock and still on my stock mounts.

The car looks real clean though.
As far as the T45 goes, they are pieces of shlt. Did you buy a used trans? Or is it rebuilt?

Btw, welcome to the site!

Last edited by a moderator:

Black96SVT

Dont Give Up
Established Member
looks good, good luck with the work on the Cobra
for the trans.. they seem to go often with some people so its a hit or miss. The motor mounts I am not sure about on but I am sure someone can help with that one

bvysochin

Established Member
Good find man.. Not bad for the price at all with that mileage.. esp. considering its a vert! Damn T45's.. Last few cars that we've bought we've ran into the same thing as you.. I think it's really the owners and the way the cars were driven.. Last one we picked up has 147k on the clock.. original ADULT owner, and original tranny and it feels AMAZING! .. Picked up a 96 GT with 80k.. 3rd, reverse, and 5th all grind like hell.. Young owner.. didn't know wtf he was doing.

What makes you think the motor mounts are shot? If they are shot, I don't think it's anything to worry about as they are probably towards the end of their time. They're fairly easy to replace, not too bad.

These motors will last as long as the owners take care of them.. I've seen em knock like hell at 80k, and the last one we picked up with 147k still runs like new with perfect compression.

I suggest you do a compression test asap and swap the plugs while you're at it..

Congrats!

mikev08826

Established Member
badass98svt said:
I was thinking the car was beat on because of the low mileage broken motor mounts. It's funny you are thinking the same thing.
I've got 123k on the clock and still on my stock mounts.

The car looks real clean though.
As far as the T45 goes, they are pieces of shlt. Did you buy a used trans? Or is it rebuilt?

Thing is, it's bone stock except for the weld in flows. Even down to the pony in the front grill. I do know that the original clutch went at 56k, and in the GT's we usually get 80k+ out of them (without FI). Maybe the 2 owners ago the guy had it beefed up and returned it to stock. IDK.

Allegedly the trans is out of a cobra that cought on fire with 29k on it. For $450 bucks I figured it's worth a shot. He said if it didn't work he'd take it back, I believe him. He's a local mustang nut and builds chassis and tunes on a mustang dyno.

I've also got a 2000 GT that I recently put a vortech on, so I'm pretty familiar with mustangs, just not the 4V.

mikev08826

Established Member
bvysochin said:
What makes you think the motor mounts are shot? QUOTE]

Lol, well, let's just say you can feel the motor shake when you accelerate in 1st...Their pretty bad.

I'm assuming it's the motor mounts anyway, the motor seems to run like a champ other than accelerating in first with the RPM's too low.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
I remember seeing that Cobra for sale, and hell yeah you got a deal:eek: you from around Chicago?

mikev08826

Established Member
Chrome98Cobra said:
I remember seeing that Cobra for sale, and hell yeah you got a deal:eek: you from around Chicago?

Word. I picked it up on the chicagosvt.com board about two months ago. The B.S. loan company the dude got the loan from finally got off their asses and sent the title. So now I can register it and take it to the shop to have it fixed. Just in time for 3 months of salt. :cuss:

This is more of a summer toy as I drive my 2000 2V as a DD.

Chrome98Cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I saw it on Chicagosvt too, I was gonna buy it and clean it up and resell it because it was such a good deal:-D but good luck its a nice car and just needs a little TLC.

98cobra4.6

Blow me away.....
Established Member
The driver side mm dosent look that hard to do, but the passenger side looks like a bitch.

mikev08826

Established Member
Chrome98Cobra said:
Yeah I saw it on Chicagosvt too, I was gonna buy it and clean it up and resell it because it was such a good deal:-D but good luck its a nice car and just needs a little TLC.

Yeah, I might see if it can't pull $8,000 - $8,500 in the spring. A low mileage black on black cobra vert shouldn't be tough to get rid of in nice weather.

I'm near 355 & 55

Mechanic

I am a Honky
Established Member
I think I remember the guy who owned that car. Lived in the city. A little tlc goes a long ways on these cars.

ju015dd

64 valves
Established Member
just go ahead and drop your k, will take you about 1.5 hr to get to the mm. they are easy to get to this way.

Users who are viewing this thread