Got killed in Australia.....

Jiffy

Established Member
OK - so this will be a head scratch for you all, so apologies up front but it happened about 6 months ago and I read here a lot so wanted to contribute.

I have a 2002 Cobra, 2003 S/C Cobra drivetrain except the IRS is still the '02s 3.27:1, so with the taller T56 gearset it's way over-geared. Runs 2.81 pulley, makes about 10lb boost (according to the cluster gauge) and turns 419rwhp.

Pulled up at a set of lights, noticed a black FPV F6 Typhoon behind me (Australia remember - 4.0L 6 cylinder Turbo, 6-speed auto, 4 door Ford sedan - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPV_F6) which was the later FG series. These are 310KW (or 420HP) std but lots of torque in a very broad curve.

We nailed it off the lights when they went green, I spun a little in 1st, then cleanly into 2nd, 3rd and about to change into 4th when it just sailed past me and pissed off into the distance! Very impressed (possibly modded but who knows?) - he slowed and we shared 'thumbs-up' then he cruised off. Didn't get a chance to speak to him, but nice l0oking car - sorry, no video, but here's a pic of one...
post-57692-13231512571225860862.jpg

Last edited:

b_dike

Established Member
Man when I race, I just say we went to Mexico... Australia might be taking too far.

Your probably making more like 12lbs. 10lbs is just how high the stock gauge reads. Either way, cool story, and nice death. I'm sure he was modded.

2013GT'ed

Established Member
I....really like that car. THAT is the four door fun sedan we need from ford.

Det_riot

Established Member
There is a fellow I follow on Instagram with one of these, daily driven, pump gas, Bitch clicks off 9's all day long.

Jiffy

Established Member
the latest version is a S/C Coyote, code-named the "Miami" engine, makes 335KW (or about 440hp) in stock form but can easily be pumped up, but no intercooler so the gains are limited. They're a really nice car to drive, very comfy (similar to the comfort of the Pontiac GTO's and G8's you guys got from Australia).

Ford Australia ceases production of these cars in 2016 - great shame, the straight 6 is a great Australian design, commonly getting 500,000km's with no trouble...

fgx-xr8-review-Car-Advice.jpg
2014-ford-fgx-falcon-xr8-3.jpg

Last edited:

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I love love love the FPV cars. I even joined fordforums.com.au to see your point of view.

I'm sorry that Ford is ending production in Australia. I think they had a good thing going there, with standalone engineering and styling and development. I hope it will come back. Falcon is so cool.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I would kill for an FPV Falcon Ute. This is like the holy grail.

Let's not forget that Australia invented the Coyote! They had it in Ford vehicles in Aussie land long before it was available here!

KushBandit

Established Member

Jiffy

Established Member
If I recall correctly, the 5.4 was a loose copy of the 2000 Cobra R motor - a DOHC truck 5.4 block & Aussie everything else for cost reasons and to meet local manufacturing content thresholds. They wanted something with more grunt than the 5.0 Windsor back in the early 2000's and the SVT S/C 4.6 was too expensive to buy & install, so they looked into the 5.4 SOHC, then decided that a DOHC was the way to go. The 5.4 block was Canadian sourced IIRC and the crank & heads were Australian manufactured from 2002/3 until about 2012/3 when they started using the 5.0 S/C Miami engine. The 5.4 was not a bad engine, but always struggled to match to 6.0 & 6.2 Holden (Chevy) motors until the Miami wiped the slate clean. Holden put an LSA engine in the HSV but it still loses out to the Miami on the dyno, but the Ford cars are a generation behind...

I'll get some video links and post them soon.

Users who are viewing this thread