Got in a wreck what should i do

TBone2532

McQueen = My Hero!
Established Member
The other night a got hit by an old lady turning left that did not yield. She hit me in the back left, right infront of the rear tire well sending me into a 360 degree spin causeing $6,000 in damages. Now my mom is threatening to sell my car because it is unsafe and i would die if that happens! I want to keep fixing it up performance wise, but i think i need to get a 4 point harness to make my mother happy, ya'll know if momma aint happy no one is happy. I have a tan interior so it is hard to find good seats and i really dont want to have to change the interior. Any suggestions? Its my car but i am not 18 yet so it is in her name. I pay for it and everything.

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
So who's car is it? Yours or your mother's? :bored:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Make sure your seats are able to support the harnesses. What kind of car do you have?? It wasn't your fault was it?? So why would she want to sell your car??

TBone2532

McQueen = My Hero!
Established Member
It is an 01 GT, and she does not want me to get killed so i need better seats. I have not been able to find seats that support harnesses that look good with a tan interior

bbp42d

shakin not stirred
Established Member
TBone2532 said:
The other night a got hit by an old lady turning left that did not yield. She hit me in the back left, right infront of the rear tire well sending me into a 360 degree spin causeing $6,000 in damages. Now my mom is threatening to sell my car because it is unsafe and i would die if that happens! I want to keep fixing it up performance wise, but i think i need to get a 4 point harness to make my mother happy, ya'll know if momma aint happy no one is happy. I have a tan interior so it is hard to find good seats and i really dont want to have to change the interior. Any suggestions? Its my car but i am not 18 yet so it is in her name. I pay for it and everything.

get it fixed i guess. i hope no one was hurt in the process.

hunterp

Established Member
I'm having a little trouble following your mom's logic (no disrespect intended). You get into an accident and she threatens to sell your car? Is she going to do this everytime something happens to you? I'm failing to see the logic here unless she really hates your car to begin with and was looking for an excuse. All cars are required to pass crash standards, etc and you'll generally have the same chance of walking away from a crash in Mustang that you would with any other car. I doubt a harness is really going to help you in this case and in some areas you'll open yourself up to a ticket since race harnesses are illegal on public streets in some areas.

Last edited:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
wals9331 said:
His car...in her name. Nothing wrong with that. My car is in my dads name...

Then he can sell it right out from under you. Thus it's not YOUR car.

Mr.Shortround

Established Member
you'll open yourself up to a ticket since race harnesses are illegal on public streets in some areas.

That's because most are not DOT certified, however some are and are perfectly legal. (although not very comfortable to wear driving around town.) I'm also curious as to how a harness is going to protect you any more than a normal seatbelt. :shrug:

hunterp

Established Member
Mr.Shortround said:
That's because most are not DOT certified, however some are and are perfectly legal. (although not very comfortable to wear driving around town.) I'm also curious as to how a harness is going to protect you any more than a normal seatbelt. :shrug:

Not only are some not DOT certified, but in some states, motor vehicle laws state that a seatbelt must have some ability to retract and allow passenger movement. A lot of the harnesses simply strap you in since they assume (correctly) that you'll be racing with them and won't be fiddling around too much with the stereo and AC.

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
Booyah said:
Then he can sell it right out from under you. Thus it's not YOUR car.

My dad wouldnt do that. Plus i couldnt afford insurance on it. It would cost more then the faucking car :bash: .

My dad has only driven it once though...so if it is his car, it would suck to be him :thumbsup:

03Cobra19

Established Member
hunterp said:
Not only are some not DOT certified, but in some states, motor vehicle laws state that a seatbelt must have some ability to retract and allow passenger movement. A lot of the harnesses simply strap you in since they assume (correctly) that you'll be racing with them and won't be fiddling around too much with the stereo and AC.

Seat belt perfomance specs are federal standards. FMVSS.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
stock seats are best for road safety imo... I don't know why she thinks you'll get hurt. People get in wrecks all the time in all sorts of cars and don't get hurt. Does she want you driving a full size truck now?

TBone2532

McQueen = My Hero!
Established Member
Actually, yes she does want me driving a full size truck now which would really suck. Thanks ya'll for your help, it is much appreciated

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
TBone2532 said:
It is an 01 GT, and she does not want me to get killed so i need better seats. I have not been able to find seats that support harnesses that look good with a tan interior

I think black seats look good in a tan interrior, gives it some contrast. I have a black car with tan interrior and whenever I get new seats they will be black.

poopnut2

Lifelong Vagetarian
Established Member
My car is in my moms name. Saves me about $100 a month on insurance. Why doesn't your mom want you to do die? I thought all moms were waiting for the day their kid dies....................don't they?

Get some tan 01/03 cobra seats.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Sucks about the car, hope it gets fixed. Your mom's logic doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I guess if she doesn't want you hurt or killed, maybe she should start forcing you to stay only at home and never leave the house. I know she needs to be worried, but selling a car over a wreck you didn't cause or do anything to initiate? I would rather die a crash happy than in some big suv not happy. Good luck with the car, hopefully you can talk your mom out of selling it.

Users who are viewing this thread