Got gas - car ran for 20 seconds tops - won't start.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
video post #2 Got gas - car ran for 20 seconds tops - won't start.

So I usually hate using BP but I was running low and they were the only 1s around where I was at the time. So I pulled in and asked bin ladens cousin to give me 20 bucks regular..nothing out of the ordinary of what I usually get while on the go..yea we can't pump our gas in Jersey. Anyways, I get gas, give him the money , pop the car in first and roll to the exit. I pull out and literally did not make it more then 15ft before the car completely stalled out and came to a stop. I tried to start it back up, it cranked then fired up for a split second then shut off. It reached maybe 300 rpms max..yes Three Hundred. So I tried once more this time I thought to give it a little gas to get the rpms going..same thing, it wouldn't pass around 300. Now thinking this guy gave me the wrong gas I walked all of 15 feet to the gas station and question this guy..just my luck he doesn't speak English and didn't understand me when I asked for a receipt(i paid cash.) Luckily this specific gas station does not pump diesel fuel so I don't have to worry about that. Question is, what is going on ? I had the car towed back to my house. 2002 GT and I do not have a CEL - Video in post 2

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Sorry to hear about the shitty luck man! These kinda of problems are always hard to figure out online. Lets start with the fuel pump, you can hear it coming on correct? I would venture a guess to say yes since the car will actually fire for a split second so it's got to be getting something. Unless something is restricting the flow to the rails, clogged filter perhaps? I would seriously think it's bad gas, just to coincidental right after getting fuel for the car to stutter and die.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
Thanks man, just got home and grabbed a bottle of starter fluid to check if it was fuel delivery or a spark problem. Car started up for a few that way so onto the fuel system. Gonna pull the fuel filter off after dinner and see if i can get some compressed air through it. Also when I cranked it after putting some starter fluid through the system I noticed I was shooting some water or something (didnt have a smell) out the tail pipes which I believe is either the fluid or the bad gas or lack there of.

dwatt

Established Member
I had the same problem in December. I filled up with gas and made it maybe 200 yards from the gas station before the car started running rough. I stopped and it turned off and would not restart.

I changed the fuel filter and pump and it worked again.

Dark02Pony

Established Member
replaced the pump and the filter as well. Pulled the filter off and got mainly water so dropped the tank only to find a watery mess. All up and running again.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Glad to hear you got it sorted out man, scares me to hear stories like this lol

JustCallMeJack

X-JACK-X
Established Member
I am new here and relatively useless as far as info, but my father had to replace the FP on his 01 GT due to water in the tank, and he now has abstained from getting anything besides Ethanol free gas. He let the car sit for a year, though, and he thinks the Ethanol ruined it. Glad you got it running. BP FTL

Cbarr300

Established Member
Quick lesson I learned after replacing many fuel pumps... With full fuel tanks. A lot of times when you run a tank low the fuel pump is allowed to run hotter. You get to a gas station and fill it up with cool gasoline. That gas runs over the hot pump and causes failure. Of course water in your tank can cause that too haha... Just sharing knowledge

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread