got check from insurance- can i cash it??

cjguiles

Established Member
My mystic got hit about a month ago and its in the shop now getting fixed. When the adjuster came to check it out, he couldn't properly calculate the paint costs so all he did is cut me a check in my name and told me that I should bring the car to a shop, get their estimate and have them fax it over to the insurance and they will take care of it. Now can I just cash this check since its written out to me? The shop is working with the insurance directly.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Yes, but you will be responsible for that amount and your deductible off the total repair bill.

Last edited:

roadracer247

Established Member
cjguiles said:
Now can I just cash this check since its written out to me?

If I remember right your supposed to make that check out to me and send it my way...pm me I'm sure we can work something out. :thumbsup:

asskickn88

Established Member
I would wait untill the repairs are done to make sure that they gave you enough to cover the bill. I think if you cash it then you are stuck with what you got. I would just hold on to it till its time to pay for the repairs.

bb83

YOLO
Established Member
asskickn88 said:
I would wait untill the repairs are done to make sure that they gave you enough to cover the bill. I think if you cash it then you are stuck with what you got. I would just hold on to it till its time to pay for the repairs.

+1

UNCHAINED

former 03 ***** ;-)
Established Member
NO! or at least be sure of this first... if you cash that it is the same as you settling withthe company. like saying you acept their offer. better safe than sorry. good luck.

SpectorV

Established Member
most banks will hold that check for 5-9 business days to wait on it to clear as insurance checks have issues all the time so be prepared for that and dont throw a fit.

I personally would let the insurance company talk with the place fixing the car, as I did. That way you dont have to worry about it.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
DO NOT CASH IT UNTIL AFTER THE COMPLETION OF REPAIRS ON YOUR CAR.

This happened to me some years back. Deputy Sheriff was in "high speed" pursuit and lost control and hit my Trans Am. Well their insurance came out and agreed to let me have it fixed where I wanted and I had gotten 3 estimates to have it fixed and where I wanted it done was lowest. Well about a month after they (the insurance company) came to me and ask me to sign a check for the body shop owner to purchase the parts to fix my car. He was a small, one man shop, and could not afford to lay out over $3,000.00 on body parts. This was told to me by the insurance adjuster. Well I consulted my father and he said he did not see a problem with it. So I signed the check over to the body shop. Little did I know, which I do now after the reaming I got, that when I signed the check over to him it also signed over my rights of further collection of monetary payments. Long story short I, actually my father helped me, was out an additional $2,500.00. It was deceitful on their part but thats big insurance companies for you. I actually helped repair my car to help with the costs. We laid 8 hand wet sanded coats of lacquer, then laid all the decals including the bird on the car, and then proceeded to put 3 more coats of clear on it. You talk about looking as if you could stick your arm all the way to your shoulder into the paint it really looked that good. But I learned alot.

Don't cash the check yet. Also make sure the body shop's name is no where on the check. Sometimes I have seen insurance companies write out check and the body shop has to sign them also even if your name is first. So be careful.

cjguiles

Established Member
yeah i'm going to wait until all repairs are done and I actually have the car back, then about a week or so later cash it
Just checking it again, its made directly to me with no body shop names on it and states "in payment for-- payment for property damage coverage for loss on 5/23/06"

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
Go ahead and cash it. Unless it is written on the check, cashing it has nothing to do with the total pay out of your claim. It sounds like wvmystichrome accepted a settlement, he should have went through his ins. co. or a lawyer and let them deal with it. It also looks like he had additional work done that the ins. co. wasn't responsible for anyway, "8 hand wet sanded coats of lacquer" and "3 more coats of clear on it".

With every claim I've made I've received and deposited the payment without a problem. In the past I have received checks for insurance claims and had the car fixed for less, so I saved some of my deductible. The last time, when a tree limb fell on my truck, the repair was more than the estimate. The body shop faxed an addendum to the ins. co. and they received the check for the difference. I only owed them the amount I received plus my deductible.

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
WraithCobra said:
Go ahead and cash it. Unless it is written on the check, cashing it has nothing to do with the total pay out of your claim. It sounds like wvmystichrome accepted a settlement, he should have went through his ins. co. or a lawyer and let them deal with it. It also looks like he had additional work done that the ins. co. wasn't responsible for anyway, "8 hand wet sanded coats of lacquer" and "3 more coats of clear on it".

With every claim I've made I've received and deposited the payment without a problem. In the past I have received checks for insurance claims and had the car fixed for less, so I saved some of my deductible. The last time, when a tree limb fell on my truck, the repair was more than the estimate. The body shop faxed an addendum to the ins. co. and they received the check for the difference. I only owed them the amount I received plus my deductible.

No we decided to do the car right after we got screwed by the insurance company. NOT BEFORE! The extra work was paid for by me and my parents. I did not settle with the insurance company they tricked me into signing a check for parts to have my car fixed. They did not explain to us that it was a settlement. It said on check to pay for parts for repair. We did contact lawyers and they said at the time there was nothing we could legally do to get them to pay for the labor, paint and additional repairs.
I was just explaining to cjguiles to be careful and read the full check to make sure if it is cashed he won't be responsible for anything else. It pays to learn from others experiences. I have learned to LISTEN to others problems that might help me in the future. Just my 02 cents worth.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread