Got Cams?

mr4teth

Established Member
Well now that I've decided to keep my car I'm thinking about cams.

I've been out of the moding mode for a while and was wondering who's doing what cams? Anything I should be concerned with ... (beside spend a ton of money)? :rolleyes:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cams are a great idea, we have a great s/c specific 5.4 grind for the GT500, they will produce 55-65 RWHP over stock with no other changes of the cams and re-tune. They do require our upgraded spring package however. The MMR custom cams are $1199 and are made for us by Comp and the Spring and Titanium retainer kit is $899. Both are a direct install with no modifications required to the heads. The springs can be installed with the engine in the car with a OTC spring tool and some patience. The cams will produce increased power across the entire power band and add a nice little lope to the idle! If you want to pull the engine and send it in we can install them for you, we can also arrange pick-up of the engine with our freight company, we can even upgrade the internals while we are in there!!

For the more serious racer MMR has the largest and highest HP cams available, capable of increasing hp by 125+ RWHP!! Please call for details and we can build a cam to suit your exact needs with the highest possible gains.

Please let us know how we can help!

Some MMR cam idle sound samples:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ZZq2Xr4eU&feature=related"]mmr 4.75 stroker turbo mustang gt - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ri2yz9dRqg"]mmr stage 2 turbo cams 2v - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDysLGfQKYc"]2010 MMR racecar First Start w/ stage 3 R cams - YouTube[/nomedia]

Many more on youtube- just search MMR cams

MMR
Modular Mustang Racing
1-877-MOD=POWR

outlaw%20launch%20new%202.jpg

Last edited:

cjgt500

Established Member
Must have :bowdown:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASCJ5ZzMbLs"]GT500 CRAZY CAMMED - YouTube[/nomedia]

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member
Only seen people do Ford GT cams and a write up in mmff on Justin Starkey's Comp Cam Mild street cam install. IMO, the cost dosen't justify the gain. However, justin lost a small portion of low range power below 4k, and only picked up 38hp and 1tq

2007 Shelby GT500 Comp Cams Install - VMP Tuning - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

They have a nice lope though, would sound nicer with a lower lobe seperation but probably wouldn't benefit in the power department.

[youtube_browser]-wHOIxXIsyU[/youtube_browser]

L&M sound quite nice too, dunno any real number gains though. Sound difference is most likey due to exhaust only.

[youtube_browser]5oujuTHUJeA[/youtube_browser]

can't find a GT cam video.

Would be a great install if all other parts of the field have been played. But as a power adder alone, not much there vs cost from what i can find.

Last edited:

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member

youtube is blocked at my office or I'd post a vid, if you search my SN on youtube there are several vids of the Shelby that you can hear the Ford GT Cams in a Shelby

IMO - cams are a "last in line" mod after you've exhausted the balance of power adding items. They are costly in both parts and labor to do.

Last edited:

mr4teth

Established Member
youtube is blocked at my office or I'd post a vid, if you search my SN on youtube there are several vids of the Shelby that you can hear the Ford GT Cams in a Shelby

IMO - cams are a "last in line" mod after you've exhausted the balance of power adding items. They are costly in both parts and labor to do.

I agree 100% but I'm at that line. I don't need anymore "dyno numbers" I want a cool sounding car to match what I already have. I'm estimating $3k-$4k but I'm also considering do some motor upgrades while we are in there. Didn't you build your motor? .... we might need to "chat"

mr4teth

Established Member
Only seen people do Ford GT cams and a write up in mmff on Justin Starkey's Comp Cam Mild street cam install. IMO, the cost dosen't justify the gain. However, justin lost a small portion of low range power below 4k, and only picked up 38hp and 1tq

2007 Shelby GT500 Comp Cams Install - VMP Tuning - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

They have a nice lope though, would sound nicer with a lower lobe seperation but probably wouldn't benefit in the power department.

L&M sound quite nice too, dunno any real number gains though. Sound difference is most likey due to exhaust only.

Would be a great install if all other parts of the field have been played. But as a power adder alone, not much there vs cost from what i can find.

Thanks for the vids .... they get me 3/4's :uh oh:! Any idea if those two were running headers? with or without cats?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
L&M built the motor in my Shelby - the Ford GT cams were in the car when I purchased it.

rw95gt

Yes, it's stock.
Established Member
How aggressive can you get with getting a nice "cammed sound" with out loosing power? I know its not possible to make it sound like a 408 stroker or anything but if cams ever went in my car I would want them to sound nice. The ones posted above sound good but I would want it to sound more aggressive. Porb not in the cards really with a modular.

bull3441

Established Member
I agree 100% but I'm at that line. I don't need anymore "dyno numbers" I want a cool sounding car to match what I already have. I'm estimating $3k-$4k but I'm also considering do some motor upgrades while we are in there. Didn't you build your motor? .... we might need to "chat"
do you have a built motor? wait till you open up the the motor and do it all at once. it's a lot of $ for the return. i base this off of my experience from my cam cost.

$1200-1500 cams
$900 springs & retainers
$2k+ for labor and degree cams
$250-500 re-tune

bull3441

Established Member
perhaps MMR can post some before/after dyno plots of 55-65whp on the same fuel. i have yet to see a cam swap make more than 38-42whp. i can only base this on what's available via searching and talking with owners who did the swap.

johnjon87

Established Member
perhaps MMR can post some before/after dyno plots of 55-65whp on the same fuel. i have yet to see a cam swap make more than 38-42whp. i can only base this on what's available via searching and talking with owners who did the swap.

Lund told me that he could have made a ton more hp because my cams were breathing so well but i wasn't set up for the right fuel.. I can't wait to c what he does with these new cams and proper fuel w/ e85 setup

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

shelby mark

Established Member
do you have a built motor? wait till you open up the the motor and do it all at once. it's a lot of $ for the return. i base this off of my experience from my cam cost.

$1200-1500 cams
$900 springs & retainers
$2k+ for labor and degree cams
$250-500 re-tune

thats a lot of cash for 50HP, that 50hp might gain you 1/10 second, just drop 100lbs and you get the same result

Users who are viewing this thread