Got beat tonight......but it wasn't my fault I swear!

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
So I'm in Michigan from Philadelphia, visiting some friends and I brought my 03 SVTCOBRA along for the ride, and to bring her back to her birth-place. I haven't been doing many rips at all and then tonight I see this guy in an 06 GTO 6.0 and I figure what the hell. He had these stupid ass rims on it and I figured it would be an easy kill. Boy was I wrong, Everything that could've went wrong did. We were at a dead stop and went on green....I muffed up the launch, and then my tires spun through First, Second and a little in Third. I just didn't hook up at all!!! Still he only beat me by a car length, but winning is winning. I had to make a turn so I didn't get to ask him what he had. I know for a fact there was an exhaust on it, and I'm certain it was an automatic. I don't know what else he had done but he did have these gay-ass rims on it, that match the color of his Red GTO. All in all I wish I had another chance but tomorrow's another day, and maybe we'll meet again and I can finally HOOK UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
What kind of tires do you have that allow you to spin to 3rd gear? When my Dad had his 630rwhp Cobra it would hook in second with Nitto's. Are you confusing a little wheelspin when you shift with spinning through the gear?

04mach17

Established Member
What kind of tires do you have that allow you to spin to 3rd gear? When my Dad had his 630rwhp Cobra it would hook in second with Nitto's. Are you confusing a little wheelspin when you shift with spinning through the gear?

ur joking right? i have a solid axle with 4.10s, 500rw and rear drag setup with drag launch springs on my car and i can punch the gas in my cobra rolling at like 35mph in 3rd and spin sideways all the way through 3rd! thats on 295/35/18 perrellis! street tires on cobras just dont mix! your dad probably had drag radial nitto 555R's!

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
ur joking right? i have a solid axle with 4.10s, 500rw and rear drag setup with drag launch springs on my car and i can punch the gas in my cobra rolling at like 35mph in 3rd and spin sideways all the way through 3rd! thats on 295/35/18 perrellis! street tires on cobras just dont mix! your dad probably had drag radial nitto 555R's!

Well, yeah, they were drag radials. Still, this guy is making 420rwhp and is talking about spinning into 3rd. I drove a 440rwhp cobra on eagle f1's and it hooked up in 2nd in about 40 degree weather. Granted, I didn't powershift into second, but if I just did a quick shift on the 1-2 it would leave about an 8 ft hopping black mark, and a about 2 little hopping black marks on the 2-3 if powershifted. Idk, maybe they put some motor oil on the roads where you guys are from..:shrug:

Jeffrey_P

Established Member
Turn the keys in OP. No excuse man. :nonono:

Exactly.
Keep waiting for more kids to crash an excellent car ('03,'04). So far they haven't let me down.

The price of a Terminator today doesn't reflect the future.
I have had my car fooking crazy sideways more than once. With the Griggs GR-40 the car handles like a dream on the street and the track, very predictable.
31k miles since I bought it new, me thinks I know the car very well.
Puke on auto and SRA.
Jeff

03sLeEpeRSnaKe

Established Member
9COBRA4 I hear what you're saying but I didn't mention that the roads out here are absolutely horrid. There were 3 lanes and I was in the far left and him in the middle lane. My lane was all chopped up and messed up. Probably why I was still bouncing and spinning at the same time even when I hit Third. I usually Hook Up atleast by Second but it was cold, shitty road, and I muffed the launch. I'm not trying to make excuses, I was beat fair and square, but I just wanted everyone to know why I lost.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Makes sense OP. Traction and the driver mod is key.

When I had my 03 Cobra, on 275 Toyo RA1's, I would spin all through second, and part of 3rd on a cool day. On a hot day, that is a different story, haha.

It doesn't take much to spin the tires with 420 RWHP. OP - Is your car lowered? If so, that will negatively reflect on traction.

10thSVT_03

Doin it!
Established Member
I think the road condition had more of a effect on this than anything.. I run 315/30/18 Pirellis and on uneven pavement they are horrid even from a roll. But some flat surface concrete or asphalt the car just squats and goes.

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
Oh its easy to not have traction! Just get a set of 245 Nitto 555 Street tires(not the DRs) and you can spin all the way to 4th like me!

Hell, half throttle 1st gear launching at idle: fishtails the whole gear, half throttle 6500 rpm shift to 2nd(non powershift): fishtails the whole gear, 3/4 throttle 3rd gear shift: fishtails to about 6000 rpm, full throttle shift to 4th gear: spins some then finally hooks up.

What I just described to you was the pass I made at the strip on the dyno numbers I have listed in my sig(makes more now, but havent tracked it or redynoed yet). Still cut a 2.0 60 foot, haha. However, right now the spinning is keeping my rearend from blowing up. Hence the shitty tires.

mURI_temp_ce2e5936.gif

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
never really had much of an issue with street tires on my cobra until i went with the whipple. the car would hook very well in second. then when i got my nittos, it would dead hook in second once the tires were warm. if you're spinning all the way into third with only 421rwhp, well---you need new tires. my GTO had exhaust and an intake, and only made 344rwhp, before the tune. then it made 375, and mine's an ls2. also the gto's have more narrow tires.

congrats on losing to a heavier car, with at least 50 less rwhp than you, and narrow, low profile wheels. i guess it happens every once in a while, you just get too excited

Users who are viewing this thread