Got around to the 13-5

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I've had my 13-5 kit since late last year, but my car had already been put up for the winter so I planned on waiting till Spring to install it . I got an invite to an open track event coming up Feb 28th on a Saturday (which never happens), so I thought I'd take the warm day we had last Saturday to get everything installed.

We did the 13-5 kit, lower pulley, spark plugs, and H-pipe all at once. It took all afternoon, which was annoying because it didn't need to be that involved. We got stuck on the starter bolt for the crank pulley. The puller kit I picked up didn't have anything suitable and all the bolt shops were closed. We had a hell of a time finding a 100mm bolt, but eventually found ONE at a NAPA warehouse. No one else had anything long enough. It was pure luck really. Time was an issue because we knew a huge ice storm was coming in that night and I wanted it back at home and all buttoned up before that rolled in.

As for the kit, I wasn't too impressed with the JLT heatshield, but everything else is kick ass. I didn't romp on it afterwards because I need to burn out all my winter storage fuel first, but a couple little 1/4 and 1/2 throttle bursts put a grin on my face. The light throttle and improved response made the mods feel like I'd done a gear swap, which directly speaks to my issue with the "lazy", reserved way the car feels from the factory. As for the exhaust? Heaven. I'm done. It sounds perfect now.

I'm not going to go into the kit any further since we've all heard the kit impressions. Just passing along my current status. Can't wait to try it out at the track. With the "dancing" I had to do with the throttle after the mods, I wouldn't be surprised if I run slower than my last visit. :dancenana:

IMG_1418_zpscu05ngbu.jpg

Last edited:

99VERT

Established Member
So you did the 10% lower? I have a IW 10% sitting in the garage with a 65mm SCJ T-body and JLT123 waiting to go on! I really need to get this done! I love the blue belt also!

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
So you did the 10% lower? I have a IW 10% sitting in the garage with a 65mm SCJ T-body and JLT123 waiting to go on! I really need to get this done! I love the blue belt also!

Yeah, ATI 10%. I agree with Railroad about the feel of the car. Since this vehicle is so electronically driven I think the changes in the computer tune really did more than I was expecting. My last Cobra had a mechanical throttle. I did the same mods (tune, can, exhaust, pulley) and it woke that care up too, but it just made it more of what it already was. As stated, these mods make this feel like a different car completely. It makes sense though, since you gain a lot of feedback from your right foot. The lightness and responsiveness of the pedal was a pleasantly unexpected surprise.

SteveWK

Established Member
Glad to hear you got the kit installed. It's too bad its not warmer out so you can get some seat time with it. I still get surprised as in oh shit with mine.

I will be at the track event too. We need to coordinate on that. I'll shoot you an email.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Glad to hear you got the kit installed. It's too bad its not warmer out so you can get some seat time with it. I still get surprised as in oh shit with mine.

I will be at the track event too. We need to coordinate on that. I'll shoot you an email.

Yeah, nothing like learning an additional new 100rwhp while throwing your car around a track on a cold, February day using stock rubber. lol

See ya there! :beer:

railroad

Established Member
Watch those stock tires. That rear will snap around very abruptly. I have the Van BMR parts, just waiting on warm weather.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Watch those stock tires. That rear will snap around very abruptly. I have the Van BMR parts, just waiting on warm weather.

Yeah, I've been to the same track on the stock tires in November before. Took it easy during the morning sessions and was able to go 100% that afternoon. I've got the BMR stuff on as well so we'll see how it goes. The 28th is SUPPOSED to get into the low 60's for the race. If so I'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread