Got an 04 lightning and need help!!!

mu5tangman

Established Member
Just bought an 04 and it runs fine but when you smash on the throttle it sputters and then finally kicks in. It has a COG system installed and I believe a smaller pulley and a JLB cai. PLEASE help anyone. Thanks.

SVT2122

Established Member
Is the truck bogging? It "falls on its face" when you go WOT? Or is it the tranny down shifting?

LSUstang05

Established Member
clogged fuel filter maybe? I'd replace the fuel filter and go from there. That is relatively cheap and may solve the problem. Until you get it figured out, I wouldn't mash the throttle though. If it is a fuel issue you run the very real risk of blowing your motor.

Rook

Established Member
is it throwing a code or anything. could be plugs or vaccum leak. what is youre vaccum reading on your guage. yes it could be fuel filter its usually not that easy. is it smoking what kind of fuel have you been running. does it idle good

LSUstang05

Established Member
I didn't even think of plugs...good point. If I were the OP, I'd be hoping it's just a clogged fuel filter. Changing the plugs on these trucks is a huge pain in the ass and tracking vacuum leaks is never fun or easy. But think on the bright side, you don't have to worry about having blown a plug out of the heads lol

jerardogav

Established Member
Also try cleaning the MAF my buddies lightning was bogging cause of that just go to an autoparts store and buy some Mass air sensor cleaner

speedfreek88

-Skinny Pimp Racing-
Established Member
Also try cleaning the MAF my buddies lightning was bogging cause of that just go to an autoparts store and buy some Mass air sensor cleaner

i had this problem last summer on my 04 and this fixed it... clean the intake tube with the cleaner while ur at it!

wicked90lx

Established Member
Do it all......... do tha plugs, filter and clean tha mass air. whats tha worst that could happen? pick up a lil hp? hell change or clean tha air filter while ur in there

MrClean

ADDICTED
Established Member
Since you just bought the truck, I would check to see if it has a flip chip since it didn't come with a hand held. Someone may have loaded the stock tune into it when they traded it in. Before you go spending money on parts get that checked first.

Joe, do you have any other mods besides the CAI and a 6# pulley?
Do you know what size pulley is on the blower?

Users who are viewing this thread