Got a WRX (PSA)

04SVTF

Established Member
I personally like the bug eyes. Aside from the front mount, what other known mods does it have? My buddy's 18 STI with a downpipe and tune spanks my stock RS.

Blades

Established Member
I personally like the bug eyes. Aside from the front mount, what other known mods does it have? My buddy's 18 STI with a downpipe and tune spanks my stock RS.
So I just went to a good shop that fixes Subarus.. Motor was identified as a JDM (higher compression), td04 turbo.. Lots of muppety items - ebay silicone hoses, ebay intercooler, (knock off of HKS) BOV.. Its like the original owner spared no expense on the suspension (real expensive HKS stuff) and brakes (ProDrive).. but he wasn't as kind to the power mods - corners seem cut.

The CAI is a real POS too. It's like it has sponge material for a filter. These crap mods don't jive with some decent mods (like injectors and fuel rails are top notch). I think it was modded nicely.. and then easy to take off items were.. taken off and sold; replaced with crap. Who knows. It's getting a compression test done too.

The real issue.. the real title of the thread should be.. Some car dealers are baaadd.. But we all know that.. It's just that they lied so badly, they should be punished. The passenger side brake caliper was loose, the battery was not tied down (and positive side was an inch away from intercooler piping!), etc etc. These are problems that could harm people if they were under the impression that the car was moderately driveable. It's okay to embellish on the car, all these guys do that.. it's that there were safety issues and those lies can hurt people.

edit: also forgot to add that the 6spd swap is indeed from a Legacy and not exactly from a STi. The difference is the control over where power goes..

Also.. I really like the RS. I still might buy one. What is LE?

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Owning a WRX/STI is not... "I hope it doesn't **** up", it's "when will it **** up". My buddies opened up a Subaru specific repair shop the other year and have been making a killing. The shop usually has between 10-15 cars parked in it at all times with gasket, ringland, bearing issues.

Blades

Established Member
Owning a WRX/STI is not... "I hope it doesn't **** up", it's "when will it **** up". My buddies opened up a Subaru specific repair shop the other year and have been making a killing. The shop usually has between 10-15 cars parked in it at all times with gasket, ringland, bearing issues.
I'll do my best to be the exception. All of my cars run great with excellent drivability.. and my TBSS has a _lot_ done to it. Then again, this is my second jpy car. Once again proving that people who tout the party line that American cars break down are completely full of shit. This is why I don't go to GT-R meets, ****ing full of those snobs.

04SVTF

Established Member
WRX and Evo

Both are extremely unreliable, but fun until they do break.

The Evo's with the 4g63 were pretty damn reliable. The EJ25 in the STi's is no slouch either. I think the biggest issue is they can be had for cheap and can be modded cheaply as well. This puts them in the hands of inexperienced drivers/modders who drive the piss out of a poorly modded car.

Blades

Established Member
Good news.. Compression test was somewhat benign.. I say somewhat because there was a larger than avg variance between pass and driver sides but that could also be the result of a need-to-change timing belt. Spark plugs did not match at all.. and aside from the one (yes one) I changed because I was curious*.. they were all loose.. So this supports 04SVTF's above theory.. You can also throw SRT-4s into that inexperienced drivers/modders lot.

*Curious just how bad it was to change.. I did the easiest plug/coil change and it still sucked.. It's really really bad.

Blades

Established Member
Compression is a solid 170+ on all cylinders after timing belt was sorted. So.. no blown motor. I may end up replacing some of the ebay parts with.. actual parts.. I mean, the BOV toots out even when it's not in boost.. I mean. heh, how is that possible? Got those whistle tips.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
The Evo's with the 4g63 were pretty damn reliable. The EJ25 in the STi's is no slouch either. I think the biggest issue is they can be had for cheap and can be modded cheaply as well. This puts them in the hands of inexperienced drivers/modders who drive the piss out of a poorly modded car.
Aren't the 6-speed transmissions in the EVO made of glass? I thought that was why the 5-speed transmission swap was so popular.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Even better.. this has a bunch of STi parts (transmission for sure) and who knows what else.. I'm tempted to go down this rabbit hole.. Hell, I at least have to wait until I get my license plate in the mail to sell it.. This is what happens when you whimsically bid on eBay.. I'm probably the only one that does that.. If only the Ford dealer played ball on the Focus RS I was looking at.. 43k was a bit much for what it is. Getting tangential, I'll post any updates.. Maybe the big plot twist is that this won't be a mess of a car.

Don't do it. I did and it cost me a ton of money. You will never be finished with it.

Blades

Established Member
Don't do it. I did and it cost me a ton of money. You will never be finished with it.
I have a budget in mind for any fixes/upgrades.. and if it does not work out... I'll sell it in good condition to someone else.. take a massive write down if necessary.. As it stands right now, I could not morally justify selling it in it's current condition. It could hurt someone with it's bullshit loose caliper (due to wheel bearing rattling), not-tied-down battery or anything else that could harm the driver.. I might sound a bit Ned Flandery.. but I refuse to pay the scam forward. Like I said, the motor is in good condition (miraculously) and I'm not going to shoot for the moon with it.. So.. yeah.. fixing what is broken is my objective. But seriously.. thank you for the honest feedback.. There is a fixed amount that I can lose and I'm comfortable with that amount. I can always drive the other cars, eh?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
There's a kid by me who must be collecting these hunks of junk. He's got 6 blue ones parked in his driveway like they're going to be a collectors item one day.

scott_0

Established Member
I always fondly remember seeing an sti while out with my wife years ago, I mentioned how I liked the car, and she says "ewwww they're for homos, doesn't my brother have one of those" but she was dead ass serious and yes her brother owned one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread