Got a ticket, leo's(COBRA90GT, jspoon54)

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I had just got a ticket today and by no means am i complaining. I know i was speeding(69/55) just was one of those days that i let loose for less then 5min and this is what i get.

Anyhow, i know the ticket carries a $130 fine and 3pts but i was wondering if there is anyway to get the points dropped? I have no problem paying it but just cant afford the added ins(and yes i know if i cant afford it then dont do it) should i go in early and talk to the officer that issued the ticket and see if i could work something out with him and like get the ticket lowered to a non moving violation or something along those lines? What should i say? This is my second ticket(other was 4 years ago btw)

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited:

paintballpyro1

Established Member
I dont think so. I know they dont do the thing(forgot the name) were if you dont get a ticket in 6months it gets dropped any more.

COBRA90GT

The Joe is rockin'
Established Member
Were you written up for 69 in a 55 or were you actually speeding "faster?" Just want to know if the officer cut you a break on the ticket itself - ie, he caught you doing 88mph and wrote it up as a 69/55 violation. If you were going a "lot" faster than 69, it's going to be tough to get the ticket drastically reduced without the help of a traffic lawyer who knows the judge/prosecutor.

Yes, you could try talking to the officer before the hearing or the prosecutor as well - but the judge may or may not be very lenient. If you cannot afford to take a hit on any type of moving violation, you are going to want to find a good traffic lawyer as mentioned above.

However, it sounds like you have a few things going for you. Your driving record sounds like it is pretty good. As long as you were courteous and not argumentative during the traffic stop itself, most officers won't have a problem with the judge "lowering" the offense, etc. More often than not, if the judge wants to cut somebody a break, they will ask the officer at court "if he/she has a problem with lowering the violation" for the offender. Being polite during the traffic stop can go a long ways if the ticket winds up being fought at court.

If you do choose to handle it yourself, be truthful at the hearing and display remorsefulness. Don't try to BS though, judges see that all too often in their courtroom and they will see right through it.

If you are able to request and receive an "impeding traffic" violation, it should carry zero points from SOS. Or, maybe the judge will agree to a "5 over" violation instead, if they aren't comfortable with reducing it down to impeding. Certain district court judges will dismiss violations (as long as it is only a civil infraction, and not a misdemeanor traffic offense) if the officer fails to show. It doesn't happen very often, but depending on the court itself, there is a slim possibility (or the court will reschedule the hearing).

Keep in mind that your insurance company may issue their "own" version of moving violation "points." Just make sure you are aware of the differences between SOS and insurance company "points."

Which district court is this out of btw (can PM me if you prefer) ?

Users who are viewing this thread