Got a ticket!! I don't agree with it and pissed.

jzepp

Established Member
I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years. I spot a police officer about 500 feet behind me. I was the only one in front on the road. My radar detector is going off and i slow down to around 38-40 once i notice the speed limit was 35. I continue to drive at 40mph tops for about half a mile. I see cop speed up and get behind me. He pulls me over and said that he has been clocking me at 48mph for the past minute.

What!! first off.......bullshit!! I was specifically looking at my speedometer. THere is no way i was doing 48 and my speedometer is dead on. How can he just lie like that?? He was wrong. I will be going to court and tell the judge this. Will this make my case worse??

MANbearPIG11

super cereal
Established Member
should say how he got your speed, either speedometer, laser, ect. whenever you get pulled over ask to see the laser, if its done by his speedometer it is easy to get thrown out of court. good luck

SNCBOOM

Established Member
should say how he got your speed, either speedometer, laser, ect. whenever you get pulled over ask to see the laser, if its done by his speedometer it is easy to get thrown out of court. good luck

lol wut?! Don't give advice if you know nothing about the topic at hand.

To the OP, you admit that you were speeding and your radar detector was going off. I don't really see how this is much of an issue.

But hopefully everything works out in your favor. I would contact a good traffic attorney if you want to have it reduced.

Last edited by a moderator:

jzepp

Established Member

To the OP, you admit that you were speeding and your radar detector was going off. I don't really see how this is much of an issue.

But hopefully everything works out in your favor. I would contact a good traffic attorney if you want to have it reduced.

I can see getting a ticket for 18mph over the speed limit like he said i was doing, which i dont agree with? I didn't think 3-5 mph over the speed limit would warrant a traffic stop. I don't know who can keep their foot on the gas at a constant low speed with going over or under a bit in the mileage.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
You kinda left out what speed you slowed down FROM when he tagged you.

Agreed! Hum, slowed down to 38-40 mph from what? I really don't think you should be pissed at all. Bottom line is you were speeding. We have established you were speeding, now all that needs to be argued is the cost.

MANbearPIG11

super cereal
Established Member

you have the right to ask to see the laser, the cop CAN refuse. if the cop says that he clocked you using his spedometer he can give you a ticket. it boils down to the device (laser or vehicle) if its been calibrated or not.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I haven't had a ticket in over 10 years. I spot a police officer about 500 feet behind me. I was the only one in front on the road. My radar detector is going off and i slow down to around 38-40 once i notice the speed limit was 35. I continue to drive at 40mph tops for about half a mile. I see cop speed up and get behind me. He pulls me over and said that he has been clocking me at 48mph for the past minute.

What!! first off.......bullshit!! I was specifically looking at my speedometer. THere is no way i was doing 48 and my speedometer is dead on. How can he just lie like that?? He was wrong. I will be going to court and tell the judge this. Will this make my case worse??

If you slowed down to about 40 that means you were going in excess of 40, therefore 48 might be right on.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

Are you really claiming that pacing tickets are easy to get dismissed? If so, what is your basis for this claim as it is not correct?

txyaloo

Established Member
you have the right to ask to see the laser, the cop CAN refuse. if the cop says that he clocked you using his spedometer he can give you a ticket. it boils down to the device (laser or vehicle) if its been calibrated or not.

You have the "right" to ask the officer to see his johnson, but there is no law that says he must just as there is no law that says he must show you the laser/radar gun. You're 19 and still in high school. You probably shouldn't be giving advice about legal issues.

Hlistr_07RR

Angel's Daddy
Established Member
I see you're in MD, care to say which jurisdiction it was?

Also I don't really see a question, just a thread where you're upset you got a citation for doing something you admitted doing. ??? :shrugshoulders:

Quik Z06

Established Member
Well it's already been mentioned, but when you said you slowed down to about 40, then that means you were above that. You said you spotted him behind you, but do you actually know how long he was back there?

jzepp

Established Member
I made a left through the light and then saw him in my rear view mirror. I was going maybe 43mph or so. I slowed down once i saw him and maintained a speed of somewhere between 35-40mph all the way up the road. His light turned green and i was watching my speed and him in my rear view mirror. A mile up the road he stops me and says that he clocked me doing 48mph all the way up the road. This is not true.

txyaloo

Established Member
I made a left through the light and then saw him in my rear view mirror. I was going maybe 43mph or so. I slowed down once i saw him and maintained a speed of somewhere between 35-40mph all the way up the road. His light turned green and i was watching my speed and him in my rear view mirror. A mile up the road he stops me and says that he clocked me doing 48mph all the way up the road. This is not true.

Why were you watching him so closely? I really don't pay any attention to LEOs behind me unless I know I was doing something wrong and expect to get stopped.

jshen

Established Member

My 2 cents..First I gather you have had prior tickets...and you use a radar detector for??? avoiding speeding tickets..My take is that you speed otherwise you wouldn't need a radar detector. I NEVER gave a warning ticket to someone with a RD as I figure one who uses them..had their warning. Lastly you admit to speeding and your angry? And to make this better...you want to call the officer a liar? I would love to prosecute your case!!! Heck I would love to just be there..

If you go into court with that explanation, you may exit court through the "to jail" door...

And for the putz that thinks pacing is easy to get thrown out- I never lost one as an officer and never lost one as a prosecutor..I don't prosecute traffic violations except as PC to stop on felony cases...They are very easy do...

Users who are viewing this thread