Got a speeding ticket last night...

LightningLou

Established Member
I know, I know not another thread about this... So I got a speeding ticket last night on I-75 for going 92mph in a 70mph. I was cruising about 80mph the whole way but sped up towards the end because I had to take a piss pretty bad and thought I missed my exit. Yeah it wasn't smart, I know. Cop didn't care he was looking to write me a nice ticket. Anyways, long story short the officer caught me with Laser and my V1 didn't go off until he already nailed me so I really didn't have much time to react. The Sheriff was sitting in the emergency turn around in between the guard rail with his car in the breakdown lane of both sides of the interstate with no lights on which seems very dangerous if not illegal to be sitting there trying to collect some revenue in such a spot. I didn't see the officer until right as I passed him and saw him throw his lights on. Well I did some research and apparently according to this law:

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

There was no way I could have spotted him in the dark at night from 500 feet away and he had no reflective material of any sort on his vehicle. If my car broke down and I pulled over to fix it I would have definitely crashed right into his front fender. Do I have a chance with this in court at all? There is also no court date listed on the ticket. Where there's a space to write down the court date he just wrote "30 days" in there which is when the fine is due from the date given. He also wrote 401 for the location when it was definitely I-75. Any help here? I have a clean record and would like to keep it that way so what would be the best way of approaching this without getting this hit on my record and paying high insurance premiums. Thanks!

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I know, I know not another thread about this... So I got a speeding ticket last night on I-75 for going 92mph in a 70mph. I was cruising about 80mph the whole way but sped up towards the end because I had to take a piss pretty bad and thought I missed my exit. Yeah it wasn't smart,

So you admit to speeding...

Cop didn't care he was looking to write me a nice ticket.

You were operating your vehicle in a manner which screamed "Write me a nice ticket."

Anyways, long story short the officer caught me with Laser and my V1 didn't go off until he already nailed me so I really didn't have much time to react.

You should sue the makers of the V1.

The Sheriff (I seriously doubt it was the Sheriff) was sitting in the emergency turn around in between the guard rail with his car in the breakdown lane of both sides of the interstate with no lights on which seems very dangerous if not illegal to be sitting there trying to collect some revenue (or was in fact trying to enforce the law, which is his job)in such a spot. I didn't see the officer until right as I passed him and saw him throw his lights on. Well I did some research and apparently according to this law:

§ 40-14-7. Visibility of vehicle from which device is operated

No stationary speed detection device shall be employed by county, municipal, college, or university law enforcement officers where the vehicle from which the device is operated is obstructed from the view of approaching motorists or is otherwise not visible for a distance of at least 500 feet.

Unless the vehicle was just over the crest of a hill or around a curve, it appears he was within the statutory limitations.

There was no way I could have spotted him in the dark at night from 500 feet away and he had no reflective material of any sort on his vehicle. If my car broke down and I pulled over to fix it I would have definitely crashed right into his front fender.

Unless you plowed into the shoulder lane at full speed, you should have plenty of time to react, lights or no lights from the stationary vehicle.

Do I have a chance with this in court at all?

Why should you have any chance of winning? The fact his vehicle was off the road had no affect on you speeding. Now if you crashed into him and got cited for that, then maybe a shot.

There is also no court date listed on the ticket. Where there's a space to write down the court date he just wrote "30 days" in there which is when the fine is due from the date given.

Perfectly fine to do, depends on the agency & local courts.

He also wrote 401 for the location when it was definitely I-75. Any help here? I have a clean record and would like to keep it that way so what would be the best way of approaching this without getting this hit on my record and paying high insurance premiums. Thanks!

The officer can amend the citation. As for help...

• 1. You admit to speeding
  • 2. You admit to being stopped by the officer
  • 3. You admit to receiving a citation

Suck it up as a learning lesson, pay your fine, and move on.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
So you were going 22mph over the speed limit and admitting to it, yet you think it is officer's fault for giving you a ticket?

I heard somewhere that Rosie O'donnell is blaming the spoon for being fat...

Pay the ticket and stop crying.

LightningLou

Established Member
So you admit to speeding...

You were operating your vehicle in a manner which screamed "Write me a nice ticket."

You should sue the makers of the V1.

Unless the vehicle was just over the crest of a hill or around a curve, it appears he was within the statutory limitations.

Unless you plowed into the shoulder lane at full speed, you should have plenty of time to react, lights or no lights from the stationary vehicle.

Why should you have any chance of winning? The fact his vehicle was off the road had no affect on you speeding. Now if you crashed into him and got cited for that, then maybe a shot.

Perfectly fine to do, depends on the agency & local courts.

The officer can amend the citation. As for help...

• 1. You admit to speeding
  • 2. You admit to being stopped by the officer
  • 3. You admit to receiving a citation

Suck it up as a learning lesson, pay your fine, and move on.

Well yeah I admit this because I'd like some help here to keep my record clear and premiums down. I know this was a mistake and I realize the cop can alter the ticket but there is no court date listed and information is skewed on the ticket. The officer was definitely not visible up to 500ft. I have bright headlights and fogs and still didn't see him until he was right at my door. Only his headlights were visibly sticking out on my side on the highway as I passed. Thanks for your help though. He was definitely a local County Sheriff and I didn't even think they patrolled I-75.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
How did the positioning of the officer's vehicle affect the fact you were speeding? If you can link the two, then I will advise how to mitigate the citation. Failure to be able to link them and I will not help.

LightningLou

Established Member
So you were going 22mph over the speed limit and admitting to it, yet you think it is officer's fault for giving you a ticket?

I heard somewhere that Rosie O'donnell is blaming the spoon for being fat...

Pay the ticket and stop crying.

Okay I wasn't speeding is that better?? I know I looked down at my speedo and it said 80mph when my V1 went off so he may have clocked someone else. It was just before my exit. I actually was getting off the exit and had to pull into a burger king off the exit. I wasn't the only car on the road going that fast. I got passed several times by speeding minivans and suv's trying to make it to soccer practice.

Guess I shouldn't have posted this here. Thanks for the help.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
Okay I wasn't speeding is that better?? I know I looked down at my speedo and it said 80mph when my V1 went off so he may have clocked someone else. It was just before my exit. I actually was getting off the exit and had to pull into a burger king off the exit. I wasn't the only car on the road going that fast. I got passed several times by speeding minivans and suv's trying to make it to soccer practice.

This is not a "Hey, I broke the law and don't appreciate personal responsibility... How can I beat this?" forum...

LightningLou

Established Member
How did the positioning of the officer's vehicle affect the fact you were speeding? If you can link the two, then I will advise how to mitigate the citation. Failure to be able to link them and I will not help.

I'm just saying, according to the law he was in the wrong there as well was he not? I know you're a cop and all, but c'mon that's some pretty shady way of trying to make some money especially if it's illegal. I have seen cops in the trees before but never in the middle of a narrow breakdown lane that's about as wide as the length of his car.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
Well yeah I admit this because I'd like some help here to keep my record clear and premiums down. I know this was a mistake and I realize the cop can alter the ticket but there is no court date listed and information is skewed on the ticket. The officer was definitely not visible up to 500ft. I have bright headlights and fogs and still didn't see him until he was right at my door. Only his headlights were visibly sticking out on my side on the highway as I passed. Thanks for your help though. He was definitely a local County Sheriff and I didn't even think they patrolled I-75.

I think LT is alluding to the fact you were stopped by a Deputy Sheriff. You're never going to be able connect the positioning of the Deputy to your speeding citation, so I wouldn't even try. The best way, I have found, when it comes to advice in DS or a lawyer is to go with the lawyer. It's black and white. As soon as you admitted to speeding and then attempted to place it on the positioning of the Deputy, you lost. If you're concerned about premiums and such then lawyer up. If not, pay the fine. But my best advice for you is to just drop out of this thread and do not take anything personal.

Last edited:

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I'm just saying, according to the law he was in the wrong there as well was he not? I know you're a cop and all, but c'mon that's some pretty shady way of trying to make some money especially if it's illegal. I have seen cops in the trees before but never in the middle of a narrow breakdown lane that's about as wide as the length of his car.

Besides it being dark out, was there anything obstructing the view of the vehicle (hill crest, curve, billboard, etc.)?

musclefan21

Established Member

Now you are lying.

Pay the ticket and move on.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Jesus Christ people, take responsibility for your actions. I didn't try to make ANY excuses or discrepancies when I got my ticket. :nonono:

And I was 18 ticketed for 80 in a 55.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
If you really want to TRY to kep your record clean, go to court and tell the judge you really don't know EXACTLy how fast you were going, but that it was a very STUPID mistake on your part. Depending on how long you have held a driver's license, the judge may help you out a bit.

Just sayin'.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member

So, you were exceeding the speed limit by 22 mph and endangering others but the only reason you were stopped was for revenue generation?

Also there are reflectors on the side of the headlights that your high beams should have hit.

But, if you think that what the officer did was illegal take it to court and explain it to the decision maker in the black robe.

Be sure to let us know how it works out.

Beerdog80

Crazy Oklahoman
Established Member
So, you want to keep your premiums from going up. Don't get traffic tickets. That simple.

You also said he tagged you with a Lidar. That means he pointed it's beam, directly at your vehicle. See how that works?

Unless you have a lousy driving record already, one ticket will not make your insurance jump that much.

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
I know, I know not another thread about this... So I got a speeding ticket last night on I-75 for going 92mph in a 70mph.

Cop didn't care he was looking to write me a nice ticket.

The Sheriff was sitting in the emergency turn around in between the guard rail with his car in the breakdown lane of both sides of the interstate with no lights on which seems very dangerous if not illegal to be sitting there trying to collect some revenue in such a spot.

Perhaps he wasnt looking to write you a ticket, you were looking to get a ticket. You just admitted to going 22mph over the limit because you had to piss. Why is sitting in a breakdown lane dangerous? If you were breaking down, you likely wouldn't be going 22mph over the limit, or even the limit for that matter. Just because a cars lights are off, does not mean the reflectors are broken.

Get some common sense before you come and make a post like this.....

olefafl

Established Member
How close was he when you got hit by the laser?
Was it dark?
Did you have your low beams on or high beams?

Stinger2011

Established Member
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the speeding ticket, but I don't see why you should get out of paying the ticket because of where he was parked. If anything, maybe talk to his boss about where he was parked (probably won't do any good) but you might as well pay the ticket, bro.

PS. I'd like to go ahead and reserve the right to bitch about getting a speeding ticket in the future now. I know it's gonna happen and i'm gonna be pissed.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I don't blame you for not wanting to pay the speeding ticket, but I don't see why you should get out of paying the ticket because of where he was parked. If anything, maybe talk to his boss about where he was parked (probably won't do any good) but you might as well pay the ticket, bro.

PS. I'd like to go ahead and reserve the right to bitch about getting a speeding ticket in the future now. I know it's gonna happen and i'm gonna be pissed.

When you're stopped, remember, hate the game...not the player. :beer:

LightningLou

Established Member
How close was he when you got hit by the laser?
Was it dark?
Did you have your low beams on or high beams?

Maybe 50-100 yards away. Yes, it was pitch black out. I had my low beams on and fog lights. I got hit with the laser and had no idea where it was coming from I couldn't see a cop anywhere until right as I passed and he threw on his lights.

Thanks for the help broski's. Sorry if I offended any LEO's by coming in here and posting this... I got a ticket for 85 in a 55 when I was 17 and paid ridiculously high premiums until I was about 20 and it was off my license. Not trying to go back down that road if ya know what I mean.

Users who are viewing this thread