Got a ride in a GT3 Cup car at Sebring

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
So I got a once in a lifetime opportunity for us mere mortals to ride shotgun in a World Challenge spec Porsche GT3 Cup car around Sebring for 45 minutes with Pro driver L.P. Dumoulin at the wheel, who came in 2nd place with Alex Job Racing at the 2012 12 Hours of Sebring in GTC.

It was such an incredible experience, and I am now ruined, as that is the only car I want now, lol.

GT3 Cup Car Ride Along at Sebring - YouTube

Sirl

Established Member
Your ruined now!! LOL

Nothing will ever be good enough now.... LoL

Srsly, must have been amazing! I'm jealous!

Judging by what I think I saw on the Ipad lap timer, he's only about 30 seconds a lap faster
than me... !!!!! LoL

Last edited:

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Your ruined now!! LOL

Nothing will ever be good enough now.... LoL

Srsly, must have been amazing! I'm jealous!

Judging by what I think I saw on the Ipad lap timer, he's only about 30 seconds a lap faster
than me... !!!!! LoL

Yeah we hit a 2:12 on a damp track; the next day in the dry I believe he was 2:07's to 2:09's

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
than me... !!!!! LoL

While taking it easy with a passenger with nothing but a helmet. Time to drop a few more pounds from your car. :rockon:

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Joao Barbosa takes wife on a wild ride around Daytona highbanks in a 2 seater DP.mov - YouTube

kind of reminds me of this...lol....although I will say...I'd love to do both...but I would take this one over that! still badass man...how'd you get that hookup?

Yeah a DP would be insane. Personally I am just in love with the sounds of the GT3 Cup; the exhaust note, the sequential box that absolutely screams from the gear whine. As a huge ALMS fan, riding in a GT3 Cup car around Sebring with an ALMS driver was like a dream come true.

Got hooked up by the owner of the car. Real cool guy.

ba#97

Established Member
Yeah a DP would be insane. Personally I am just in love with the sounds of the GT3 Cup; the exhaust note, the sequential box that absolutely screams from the gear whine. As a huge ALMS fan, riding in a GT3 Cup car around Sebring with an ALMS driver was like a dream come true.

Got hooked up by the owner of the car. Real cool guy.

well you better get used to the dp cars etc because grand am and alms are merging next year! lol.

ba#97

Established Member
I don't find it gay at all. there are going to be multiple new classes and way more competition. I never like alms because of the low car count. this should fix that for sure. I believe 2 different gt classes as well now? there are two in alms already right? I believe the faster of the two will have its own class still and then the slower gt cars will be mixed into the existing gt class of grand am? Idk..I'm looking forward to it. oh and the rolex 24 this year should be awesome!

blacksheep-1

Established Member
ugh i know. it sounds like the LMP2 cars will be "dumbed down" to compete with the DPs.... gay.

The DPs and the LMP2 were running about he same speeds at the Daytona test, the DPs were about 30 mph faster on the straights though. the problem with ALMS is there are 50 classes and about 3 cars in each. Look at the grand am GS and ST classes, they green flag over 50 cars.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Maybe I was confused; I think it's the LMP1 class that's being eliminated, is that correct?

It was cool to see the Audi's at Sebring, but it looks like they may not be back unless its with a R8 LMS.

sonic cobra

Established Member
Very cool. So tell the truth. Any aches and pains after the session? I got a ride there in November in a well set up M3 of the V8 variety with a very experienced driver. It should be obvious from the video that that is one rough track. add the tremendous lateral G's and I actually had a bit of a stiff neck for a day or so. That turn 17 is punishing. I believe the only thing that passed us was a GT3. There were several there.
Like you I was ready to trade the Cobra for a new M3 until reality reared its ugly head.Unfortunately i didn't have a camera with me and wasn't wearing my glasses so couldn't see the info on his data recorder, but it was an awesome experience that I will not soon forget
thanks for the video.
PS, Sebring remains near the top of my bucket list

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
Very cool. So tell the truth. Any aches and pains after the session? I got a ride there in November in a well set up M3 of the V8 variety with a very experienced driver. It should be obvious from the video that that is one rough track. add the tremendous lateral G's and I actually had a bit of a stiff neck for a day or so. That turn 17 is punishing. I believe the only thing that passed us was a GT3. There were several there.
Like you I was ready to trade the Cobra for a new M3 until reality reared its ugly head.Unfortunately i didn't have a camera with me and wasn't wearing my glasses so couldn't see the info on his data recorder, but it was an awesome experience that I will not soon forget
thanks for the video.
PS, Sebring remains near the top of my bucket list

Haha to be honest, no aches or pains at all. In fact we did a session and a half, and I didn't want to get out!

Rotzs99

Established Member
I wish I lived in an ALMS market. You had me searching for where the closest one was, but they're all incredibly far away.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I wish I lived in an ALMS market. You had me searching for where the closest one was, but they're all incredibly far away.

You can usually find cheap flights for like $99 or so from Denver to San Fran through Southwest, which is basically where Laguna Seca is.

Users who are viewing this thread