Got a new dd!!...and a new set of problems...

04owmach

Established Member
So i traded in my 2012 fiesta s a week ago saturday as it had been once by a coyote and once when a lady backed into me in front of my house while my car was parked. I was just fed up with it and my commute dropped from 50 miles per day round trip to about 6 miles. Perfect time to upgrade to this...
IMG_20140927_074235_831_zpsdnycchvj.gif

its a 2014 st1 with 9700 miles on it. I was so excited and have been in love with the car. The car was supposedly a certified used car. When i test drove it it had a slight vibration from about 40 mph-50 or 60ish. Car had new tires on it and i figured a mix of tire balance being off or the fact it has a stiff suspension and low profile tires. Again not a bad vibration just noticeably there. I have been around cars that just had a misbalanced tire that were wayy worse. SO I took the car in today to the quicklane tire center to have them balance the wheels. They got it up on the lift and boy what a surprise... ALL 4 WHEELS were bent. So here i am now stuck with a car that was obviously wrecked in some way but not reported to carfax as it had a clean carfax. I was completely honest with the dealer when i traded my car in and gave them all the information on both wrecks even though the second wreck never showed up on the carfax or autocheck. Anyways I'm waiting to see what the dealer does before i release there name because right now they have said they will work with me but have kind of transferred me person to person over the phone. Here are the pictures of the rear wheels and videos from all 4 wheels i took today after coming home from the quicklane.
IMG_20140929_181452_058_zpse8jsf7v3.gif

IMG_20140929_181443_012_zpsmnkuakpm.gif

IMG_20140929_181351_538_zps6otfg7jm.gif

th_VID_20140929_180635_832_zpsnbfityay.gif

th_VID_20140929_180242_225_zpst9xize1e.gif

th_VID_20140929_180918_772_zpsqemsaikw.gif

th_VID_20140929_181234_156_zps3aolnulf.gif

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Wow that really sucks OP! Hopefully they take care of you quickly and fairly! My guess is they saw what happened with the Sawgrass Ford dealer and are now aware how quickly things can go sour for them if they do the wrong thing. Keep us updated

04owmach

Established Member
Yea it really sucks... I should have had them put it up on the lift and check it out BEFORE i took delivery but this is a HUGE dealer in central indiana and figured that as many cars as they sold just while i was there they had actually check it out. Also just so everyone knows you can click the last 4 pictures and that takes you to the photobucket videos.

94_Vert

Established Member
It doesn't necessarily have to have been in a wreck. It could have just been bad pot holes or aggressive speed bumps. Regardless, of course they should make it right for you. Give them some time, before you go all vigilante on them though.

matt87

Established Member
set of new wheels on the dealers tab and you'll be fine! g/l!

04owmach

Established Member
Yea i have been very patient and controlling myself while on the phone with them. Like I said I am trying to really contain myself and be the nice guy because they gave me a pretty good deal on trade in and sell price and based on that alond would do business with them again as long as this is taken care of. So my other question is should i let them repair the wheels if they say they can or insist on new wheels? never had this problem as other than hitting coyotes i have never been in any kind of accident or tore anything up.

Zemedici

Established Member
Those wheels can be fixed - not bad enough to warranty replacement. Good luck man let us know how it goes

whitevenum

Auto 1000whp= Insanity
Established Member
That sucks bro! The band doesn't look to bad, a good rim shop will straighten it out no problem. Have the dealer pay for it. Those cars a super fun to drive, congrats. I like the handling on them

Sick SVT

Established Member
A wreck isn't going to bend all 4 wheels unless it went all the way over a curb or something but in that case they probably would have broke and not just bent the lip. Most likely potholes. Easy fix. Don't sweat the accident thing. Let the dealer fix them or replace them for you and enjoy spirited driving!

Last edited:

Ibleedblue13

Established Member
Yea i have been very patient and controlling myself while on the phone with them. Like I said I am trying to really contain myself and be the nice guy because they gave me a pretty good deal on trade in and sell price and based on that alond would do business with them again as long as this is taken care of. So my other question is should i let them repair the wheels if they say they can or insist on new wheels? never had this problem as other than hitting coyotes i have never been in any kind of accident or tore anything up.

Lol sorry man but they gave you a good deal because they knew they were selling you someone else's problem. I would insist on new wheels personally, but i'm also the type to lose my shit when people try to **** me. Car dealers are to be trusted as much as cops

Troponin

Established Member
Do you think that the wheels bends are causing the vibrating though? I do think it's odd that they are all bent. I also agree that having them repaired would be a reasonable offer. It's on record now, so if you have any future issues, then it should be easier to escalate the options to potentially replacing them.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Sounds to me like someone thought they were getting a sporty economy car, the previous owner, and ended up driving it like an economy car and just hit every pothole they could. If the dealer wants to fight it suggest 1k bucks cash back in your pocket and put it towards some aftermarket rims...yank those off install your new tires. Hvae a rim shop fix the bent wheels and resell them.

2004TBV

Living the dream
Established Member
Happend on my wife's Taurus. Noticeable vibration at highway speeds, so I took it back and come to find out both front rims were bent/warped. They replaced all 4 wheels and tires no questions asked. You should be good bro. Good luck anyhow though.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
without seeing more than the pics it doesnt appear to be that bad. did the tire center actually remove the wheels and check the balance on each? its possible those minor bends threw the balance off, which can be fixed by rebalancing. it appears to me that those bends were caused by a gorilla installing the tires and being a little overzealous with the pry bar. and yes, its an easy fix. but if they rebalance ok, not really necessary.

if that tire center didnt check the balance, have them do so. have them rebalanced. find a place that can road force balance them if you can. see if that works. then send the bill to the dealership. they'd be much quicker to pay for that than buying 4 new wheels. or even have the dealership do this so you dont have to put any $ out.

you'd be surprised at how many people's wheels look like that on the inside. especially DDs. people take the car to the tire shop for new tires. installer does this, puts them right back on the car. nobody notices the damage done.

unless there's more going on that we cant see in the pics. if the previous owner drove over a small curb or something. that could explain all four being dented. then maybe just had the car realigned.

04owmach

Established Member
without seeing more than the pics it doesnt appear to be that bad. did the tire center actually remove the wheels and check the balance on each? its possible those minor bends threw the balance off, which can be fixed by rebalancing. it appears to me that those bends were caused by a gorilla installing the tires and being a little overzealous with the pry bar. and yes, its an easy fix. but if they rebalance ok, not really necessary.

if that tire center didnt check the balance, have them do so. have them rebalanced. find a place that can road force balance them if you can. see if that works. then send the bill to the dealership. they'd be much quicker to pay for that than buying 4 new wheels. or even have the dealership do this so you dont have to put any $ out.

you'd be surprised at how many people's wheels look like that on the inside. especially DDs. people take the car to the tire shop for new tires. installer does this, puts them right back on the car. nobody notices the damage done.

unless there's more going on that we cant see in the pics. if the previous owner drove over a small curb or something. that could explain all four being dented. then maybe just had the car realigned.

Steve, I never even thought that it could be from that. That would make sense seeing as the outside lip shows no sign of any damage at all. Bad thing is the dealer is an hour away and service is only there till 5 and they said they need to look at it because my "certified" warranty doesn't take effect for 30 days. I knew I should have worked with my dealer I bought my last two cars from but they didn't have any used ones and a new one was going to be a month out plus it's hard to get a dealer to deal on a car they specifically buy from another dealer for you

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member

Damn, I didn't know a tire installer could bend a wheel. Probably what happened on my BMW then when I swapped from run flats to regular tires and found a bent rim.

waggs

icy.i see.eye sea.icee.
Established Member
Damn, I didn't know a tire installer could bend a wheel. Probably what happened on my BMW then when I swapped from run flats to regular tires and found a bent rim.

Highly unlikely considering the prybar doesn'teven touch the bottom part of the rim. Unless it was reverse mount but even then it wouldn't bend unless you smacked it with a hammer or something.

04owmach

Established Member
Also I did not have the place here in Lafayette touch the car after we found the bent wheels because I knew if I did the other dealer could just claim someone else did it at the place here in town. And yes wish I would have spent the extra 3 or 4000 and bought a new one but who would expect this from a 2014 with 9700 miles in excellent condition otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread