Got a letter from the CHP for cadet testing!

vulk

Established Member
Yes sir.. scheduled for the written test on Feb. 14th and my PAT on the Feb. 28th. I just got home from running 1 mile, and I must say.. I need to get my cardio up; Im still out of breath.. (I guess thats what you get for neglecting cardio at the gym.) Im curious, is there anyone on here who is in the CHP? If so what area?

Krwy

Established Member
You should have started running months ago. No matter how much running you do, it will not prepare you for whats waiting at academy. I'm awaiting my results for my QAP. I'm at the gym about 5 nites a week. The PAT is easy, don't worry. Where are you? If its Southern Division, you're gonna love Sgt Garret. You'll have a nice surprise for you at the PAT.

There is a member on here who starts the academy this month. I'm hoping to get in by August.

vulk

Established Member
You should have started running months ago. No matter how much running you do, it will not prepare you for whats waiting at academy. I'm awaiting my results for my QAP. I'm at the gym about 5 nites a week. The PAT is easy, don't worry. Where are you? If its Southern Division, you're gonna love Sgt Garret. You'll have a nice surprise for you at the PAT.

There is a member on here who starts the academy this month. I'm hoping to get in by August.

I am in Sherman Oaks, CA (5 mins from Los Angeles.) I think ill be okay for the academy. I goto the gym 4x a week, and have been consistent for about 2 years now since i knew this day was going to come. My strength, agility, flexibility and balance are great. Im aiming for top of the class (getting just a little more stamina is not a problem.) Hopefully my marksmanship will be up to par with the military guys.. and I sense a little sarcasm with Sgt Garret? Challenges are welcome :beer:

Krwy

Established Member
I am in Sherman Oaks, CA (5 mins from Los Angeles.) I think ill be okay for the academy. I goto the gym 4x a week, and have been consistent for about 2 years now since i knew this day was going to come. My strength, agility, flexibility and balance are great. Im aiming for top of the class (getting just a little more stamina is not a problem.) Hopefully my marksmanship will be up to par with the military guys.. and I sense a little sarcasm with Sgt Garret? Challenges are welcome :beer:

If you haven't done so already, head to the book store to pick up the books to help you with the test. There is good information, and pointers for your different steps down the line. Never lie, ever. They will know, even if it's for something stupid. Tell the truth no matter how it makes you look. "CHP Cadets do not lie, cheat, or steal, and do not tolerate those that do"

So your test is at the Convention Center and the PAT at the school in Whittier. Show up early. If you're not early, you're late. As soon as you get your test score, schedule a ride a long, it will help in the QAP. Also try and memorize the mission statement, C.H.P. P.R.I.D.E., and what the 7 points on the star mean. These things will help you get the main idea behind the department. Every officer that I've met so far has said running is the toughest part physically. Although most cadets fail out on the EVOC course. When I went on my ride a long there was an officer still with his FTO, he was prior USMC, and he said start running more then you can ever think. I was also surprised when he told me how many fail out on the EVOC course. I wouldn't worry about the marksmanship now. Get through the QAP and your intial background interview. You'll have a few months to take some classes if you feel the need to have a better eye.

Good luck!

Quik Z06

Established Member
Nice congrats :beer: You could PM "mkb116" he is a CHP in the LA area if I recall correctly.

vulk

Established Member
If you haven't done so already, head to the book store to pick up the books to help you with the test. There is good information, and pointers for your different steps down the line. Never lie, ever. They will know, even if it's for something stupid. Tell the truth no matter how it makes you look. "CHP Cadets do not lie, cheat, or steal, and do not tolerate those that do"

So your test is at the Convention Center and the PAT at the school in Whittier. Show up early. If you're not early, you're late. As soon as you get your test score, schedule a ride a long, it will help in the QAP. Also try and memorize the mission statement, C.H.P. P.R.I.D.E., and what the 7 points on the star mean. These things will help you get the main idea behind the department. Every officer that I've met so far has said running is the toughest part physically. Although most cadets fail out on the EVOC course. When I went on my ride a long there was an officer still with his FTO, he was prior USMC, and he said start running more then you can ever think. I was also surprised when he told me how many fail out on the EVOC course. I wouldn't worry about the marksmanship now. Get through the QAP and your intial background interview. You'll have a few months to take some classes if you feel the need to have a better eye.

Good luck!

Thanks alot man, I appreciate the advice. I just got my 2nd letter informing about the test location and time. Ive been pretty honest and trustworthy my whole life so I dont think I would have to lie. Even if there is occurrences which im not proud too of, I will admit them and tell them what Ive done to better myself because of it. I heard EVOC was hard from a couple of people; maybe if there was a clutch, the pass percentage would increase lol. I just got back from running a mile, my time was 5:06 (ran only 1/2 a mile the day prior to that, after which I felt like dying.) I ordered this thing called "Police Exam 911" online, I think it is very helpful in terms of what to expect during the different stages of evaluation and testing. I am definitely thinking about possible questions that might be asked and my responses to them. Again, thanks so much for the advice; It makes me glad I will get to be a part of something with great people.

Users who are viewing this thread