Got a high boosted TVS???

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Currently going to spin the hell out of my Roush TVS charger. I want to max it out on boost that's safe for 93 octane. I shouldn't have any belt slip issues as I'm going to have the Steigemeier Snakebite & Venom cooler installed plus have it ported. So the stock pulley 90mm, will be the equivalent of a 72. Meaning 15 pounds of boost, so no belt slip. If my math is right, an 82 mm will be around 18-20 pounds.

From what I have read, the 2.3 liter TVS maxes out at 22 psi so should be good. But can you run 22psi on 93? Highest I've seen run is 15 psi.

Would like to know who is currently maxing out their TVS on 93 pump fuel with forged shortblock an fuel upgrades.

Is 700-750hp the limit on 93 octane? I'm also 10.1 comp, 5.2 liter pro-mod block, so more boost won't hurt me as much.

Alex12gt was making great power with a 72mm, 93 Octane BBR tune on his Aluminator. Would like to know who else is boosting it up. prn1972 is talking about going the Steigemeier snakebite route as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks:burnout:

Last edited:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I'm running 10:1 compression, stock is 11:1. I believe e85 is scarce here, but is available in Germany. I might go drive to where I heard there was a pump. It's roughly 23 mins away. Not sure of the quality over here.

I guess in my case being an in the middle compression ratio I have, we'll just have to figure it out while getting it dialed in. I was suggested using a 69mm with 10:1 which would be 16-17 pounds from the tuner I want to use (BBR). Was hearing of belt slip issues using anything under a 72mm, so that's the reason for swapping to the snake bite. I keep hearing about an 8 rib system from VMP but, last I heard, it still isn't forsale. Thinking I'm going to like the scream from the snakebite gear swap. Suppose to be a lot louder!!

Last edited:

prn1972

Established Member
Only guys I seen maxing the TVS is Shelby guys, seen them spinning it at little over 20k rpm, that's pushing 20lbs on a Shelby, Stiegemeier told me he had one guy spinning it 22k rpm with port/venom cooler/honed case, not sure what boost it was at but it was fine when it came back in to serviced, of course boost would be different between our 5.0 & the 5.4/5.8
When I first talked to Stiegemeier about the Snakebite he was talking about a 2:1 gear drive, after doing some math that is too much, with stock 6.78" crank pulley 1.5:1 gear drive would be ideal, with 1.5:1 gear drive 90mm pulley would be over 21k rpm, 85mm pulley would be a little over 22k rpm, not sure what the boost would be, I guess Stiegemeier can make whatever gear drive we need but have not asked him yet
I would think at 10:1 you could run 18-20lbs on 93 as long as timing is kept in check & the fuel system is capable, but I'm no expert, talk to your tuner about this

Last edited:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
I wasn't made aware of the different ratio's I only knew about the 2:1. Interesting to hear about the 1.5:1. Since the 90mm makes 7.5-8 stock it makes sense that Steigemeier said I would make 15psi with 2:1 rationing stock pulley. I don't understand how the 2:1 is bad on the crank if it's still spinning the stock speed. Is it causing too much load on it wearing it out? Not sure how this could be any different than running a smaller pulley to equal the same boost as the 2:1 snake bite as it's running at the same rpm. I guess I need to look into it more perhaps.

prn1972

Established Member
Its not bad on the crank, I'm talking about the blower rpm, to calculate blower rpm you use crank pulley size/blower pulley size/engine rpm/blower geardrive ratio. Eaton says max blower rpm is 18-19k iirc. So for example let's say a 75mm pulley with stock size crank pulley at 7000rpm engine speed turns the blower at 15k rpm with the stock 1:1 gear drive. So keep everything the same but go to a 2:1 geardrive, that's 30k blower rpm, that's way too much, too much blower rpm will burn the blower bearings up & make crazy heat. The most I would turn it would be 22k as Stiegemeier said. So we would need a 1.5:1 or 1.25:1 gear drive to get to that 21-22k blower rpm. But I dont know if he can make any ratio gear drive or not. I just know by my math a 2:1 greardrive will spin it too hard even with a 90mm pulley.
This is what I was using to calculate blower rpm, maybe someone can tell me if its correct or not.
Crank pulley size ÷ blower pulley size x gear drive ratio x engine rpm = blower rpm
Pulley sizes in inches

Last edited:

grnenvy

Established Member
22psi on 93 octane sorry but are u crazy? Your looking for problems trying this. I wouldn't run anything smaller then a 79mm pulley when running 93. U get to a point where u have to run so little timing that its not worth running all that boost. Plus the blower makes a lot more heat once u start pushing it. I'm running a 72mm, big injector with Justin from VMP tuning my car and I always run Torco. I also have all the cooling mods.
Remember as long as u have a good tune and High octane your motor will last a very long time.

This gear ratio change would be very nice if they can perfect it.

Last edited:

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Good information. So it sounds like I need to look into e85 as a viable option. I guess I was just confused on what ratio he was using. I need to talk to Steigemeier and see what rpm it'll be running at. He just sent a quick email saying the stock pulley would equal 15psi. That's all he said. He didn't give me any math formulas or ratio's to play with to find out what would be best. I could see if it is 2:1 that would make it the equivalent of a 45mm pulley which sounds like it would over spin the hell out of it of for what it was designed for.

So other than Alex12gt old grabber, there isn't anyone making big power on 93? He claimed to make 736 rwhp, 688tq at 11:1, 15 degrees timing running a 72mm pulley making 15 psi of boost with a JLT intake, headers, no cats, a bigger heat exchanger, and bigger expansion coolant tanks. Fuel mods were only larger injectors and a BAP.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
grenvy, when you say you run Torco, are you talking about an octane booster additive? Or full on race fuel?

Edit* I found this on torco's site;
Mix a 32 oz can of Torco Accelerator with 10 gallons of 91 Premium Unleaded to make an efficient 102 Octane race fuel. Mix a 32 oz can of Torco Accelerator with 5 gallons of Premium Unleaded to make a whopping 105 Octane! See blending chart.

Un-chain yourself from the drum!

Torco Accelerator is perfect for any high performance race car, street car, watercraft , motorcycle, or ATV – carbureted , injected, turbo’d or blown.

Is that what you are using Greny?

Last edited:

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
grenvy, when you say you run Torco, are you talking about an octane booster additive? Or full on race fuel?

Mix a 32 oz can of Torco Accelerator with 10 gallons of 91 Premium Unleaded to make an efficient 102 Octane race fuel. Mix a 32 oz can of Torco Accelerator with 5 gallons of Premium Unleaded to make a whopping 105 Octane! See blending chart.

Torco Accelerator is perfect for any high performance race car, street car, watercraft , motorcycle, or ATV – carbureted , injected, turbo’d or blown.

Yes he's referring to Torco Accelerator. Good luck getting it in Germany though. Trust me, I tried getting it when I was stationed there 3 years ago. Its pretty much impossible.

When do you PCS? I'll be PCS'ing from Hawaii to Vilseck this coming Nov.

-Nick

grnenvy

Established Member
Hey

Yes Torco unleaded Accelerator. U need to buy it in a 5gal drum if u can. It's a great alternative if u can't get race fuel.

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Yes he's referring to Torco Accelerator. Good luck getting it in Germany though. Trust me, I tried getting it when I was stationed there 3 years ago. Its pretty much impossible.

When do you PCS? I'll be PCS'ing from Hawaii to Vilseck this coming Nov.

-Nick

Aug 2016, stationed at Katterbach, I deploy sometime in June for an undetermined length of time, up to 1 year, but unlikely.

prn1972

Established Member
So other than Alex12gt old grabber, there isn't anyone making big power on 93? He claimed to make 736 rwhp, 688tq at 11:1, 15 degrees timing running a 72mm pulley making 15 psi of boost with a JLT intake, headers, no cats, a bigger heat exchanger, and bigger expansion coolant tanks. Fuel mods were only larger injectors and a BAP.

Well I was close till it blew up..lol...I was running 15lbs, only difference was 75mm pulley, 13* timing, high flow cats, stock long block, only spinning it up to 6900rpm hoping it would live longer, making 606whp on low reading mustang dyno, dynojets are typically 12-15% higher which would put it at 690-710whp range

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Do you think Steigemeier was wrong when he said the stock pulley would equal 15 pounds? Might just be smarter for me to skip the snakebite option, if you are maxed out on 93 Octane at pretty much 700+ rwhp regardless of fuel system, cooling setup.

Like you mentioned before Meth injection could be an option to put on top of the tune.

prn1972

Established Member
Do you think Steigemeier was wrong when he said the stock pulley would equal 15 pounds? Might just be smarter for me to skip the snakebite option, if you are maxed out on 93 Octane at pretty much 700+ rwhp regardless of fuel system, cooling setup.

Like you mentioned before Meth injection could be an option to put on top of the tune.
I'm not going to say he is wrong, it looks like it makes sense, a 90mm pulley make 6-8lbs of boost with the stock 1:1 gear drive, so a 2:1 gear drive should double it, but when I do the math it would be spinning 29k rpm, way too much, I tried to call Stiegemeier twice yesterday but he was not there.

Yes meth injection works, its cheap & lasts a long time, but it has its cons, I wish there was E85/racing gas at every pump, I would spend the money to run it

DEADLY FORCE

Established Member
Found one. Price is in Euro and in liters. Just looks cheap.
image_zps1a89f32c.jpg

debit_free_2010

Established Member

Cobra guys are getting 23-24psi out of the VMP TVS, that is pretty much Maxed out @-20000 rpms, Absolutely no reason to spin it harder than that as it'll turn into a heat pump. And like the others said, you're going to need to pull a lot of timing to keep your love alive on pump gas trying that.

This is the Eaton TVS R2300 map and as you can see above 2.2 bar (17psi) @16000+ Rotor rpm the TVS is less than 58% efficient,

Compressor%20Map,%20Eaton%20R2300_6.1L%20Plot.gif

Users who are viewing this thread