Got a flat today and have a question

mach1won

Established Member
Walked out of work today to find that the first day I get the mach out for the year I pick up a screw in the back right tire and it's sitting on the rim. No big deal because I'm getting new tires this month anyway. So I put the spare on and drive it home about 20 miles. Now that I'm home I'm curious if running a 18 inch wheel on one side and the stock smaller spare on the other could have hurt anything in the rear end? It didn't make any sounds or anything but I was just wanting to be sure? May be a dumb question but never hurts to ask! :beer: thanks guys!

tistan

Established Member
Probably not in 20 miles, but you wouldn't want to do it for a month. It will wear out the clutches in your differential if you run it that way for an extended period.

SweetSVT99

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Walked out of work today to find that the first day I get the mach out for the year I pick up a screw in the back right tire and it's sitting on the rim. No big deal because I'm getting new tires this month anyway. So I put the spare on and drive it home about 20 miles. Now that I'm home I'm curious if running a 18 inch wheel on one side and the stock smaller spare on the other could have hurt anything in the rear end? It didn't make any sounds or anything but I was just wanting to be sure? May be a dumb question but never hurts to ask! :beer: thanks guys!

Yes, running different size outer diameter tires on the drive axle can cause issues if ran for extended periods of time. I'm sure nothing was hurt in a short 20 mile drive though. If you have to drive on it until you get new tires, put it on the front.

mach1won

Established Member
Thanks for the advise guys! To the garage it goes now to get all the tires off for powder coat and tires!

slider701

Established Member
The clutches in the Ford 8.8 axles are set up so loose from the factory the chances of hurting them are slim.

If you had a locker or if the factory diff was set up by someone that knows how to set them up correctly (on the tight side) then you might have to worry, but not the way they are set up from the factory.

Common

Established Member
Thanks for the advise guys! To the garage it goes now to get all the tires off for powder coat and tires!

I did it before, for about 80 miles to make it back home and didn't have any issues. Don't do it for a really long time and you will be fine!

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
The rim size makes no difference.

The question is, When you went to 18s did you size them and keep your overall diameter the same or close to it? If you did then there is no issue at all.

If you didn't and there is 1 inch difference then you will still be good for a while.

If you have a huge difference in Dia. then there may be an issue but fact is the rear is set up to handle turns. And plenty of them. Every time you change lanes they slip, every corner, they slip. Think about it. It isn't rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread