got a few lightning pics tonight

on the way home from work tonight, noticed lightning off in the distance, so when I got home I got my Canon EOS Rebel 300D out, and set my aperture between F/4 and F/11 (had to fine tune a little bit...had good luck between 6 - 8), set my ISO to 100 (switched to 200 for the last 2 shots), set my Quantaray Sunpack Speedlite to 0 EV, stuck it on a tripod (i have a 50") but I only extended the very bottom legs, so i could sit on the ground on my front porch underneath the overhang.

took quite a few but only came away with about 5 pics. not bad for a beginner, I need to find a good hilltop somewhere and get some good photos from afar.

I have my shutter remote on the way, which will help my reaction times and remove any movement/vibration from me hitting the shutter button.

here's the results...I had a damn street lamp coming in from the left, so that's why you see some white marks on the top left of the photo. these came out better than I thought they would though.

lightning5.gif

lightning4.gif

lightning3.gif

lightning2.gif

lightning1.gif

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
I'm sorry, but I see no lightning. Maybe something in that last pic, but, other than that, nothing.

I'm sorry, but I see no lightning. Maybe something in that last pic, but, other than that, nothing.

well not directly...but the 2nd pic was...i moved the camera as it was shooting.

but a couple of the pics you can see the sky lit up from the lightning.

just cause you don't see the bolt doesn't mean its not lightning.

UtahSVT

Established Member
You are trying to show pictures of lightning??? I don't see a damn thing that resembles anything close to lightning.

Dude i seen some awesome lighting tonight here and it would have been nice to put it on a camera but didnt have it

sweetness...kind hard to shoot from my house....cause we have the tree lines and it's pretty hilly here...i miss my old place in Missouri where you could see 10 miles away and it was all flat land.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Do you have a hood for your lens? That would help get rid of that streetlight glare coming in on your shot. Photographing lightning is all about patience. I just set the camera on my tripod and keep shooting. Eventually you will get a good shot.

Here is a quick shot of one I did a little while back. This was the best shot I came out with. I played with the colors a little bit to bring out the blue. Im not trying to hijack your thread.

DSC_0400-1.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have a hood for your lens? That would help get rid of that streetlight glare coming in on your shot. Photographing lightning is all about patience. I just set the camera on my tripod and keep shooting. Eventually you will get a good shot.

Here is a quick shot of one I did a little while back. This was the best shot I came out with. I played with the colors a little bit to bring out the blue. Im not trying to hijack your thread.

DSC_0400-1.jpg

dude those are awesome! what aperture, iso, etc? did you use to get those?

i have a wireless remote shutter on the way so that should help my lightning picture taking.

I'm just starting out, I need to find a damn photography club around here, so I can learn how to use this. Next year i'm getting a Canon EOS 40D.

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
dude those are awesome! what aperture, iso, etc? did you use to get those?

i have a wireless remote shutter on the way so that should help my lightning picture taking.

I'm just starting out, I need to find a damn photography club around here, so I can learn how to use this. Next year i'm getting a Canon EOS 40D.

Thanks.....It was taken with a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens set at an aperture of f5.6. It was a 15 second exposure with an iso of 200. I shot in raw format and then played with the color curve. Next time I am out shooting lightning I will change my aperture to around an f8 or f11 since thats where this lens is the sharpest.

Im also a beginner. I got my camera a few months ago and I have just been reading a lot of books and taking a lot of pictures and just experimenting with the camera.

Last edited:
Thanks.....It was taken with a Nikon D40 with a 18-55mm lens set at an aperture of f5.6. It was a 15 second exposure with an iso of 200. I shot in raw format and then played with the color curve. Next time I am out shooting lightning I will change my aperture to around an f8 or f11 since thats were this lens is the sharpest.

Im also a beginner. I got my camera a few months ago and I have just been reading a lot of books and taking a lot of pictures and just experimenting with the camera.

very nice man!! that's the camera my mom, brother, and I are getting my dad for his birthday in October!

I just joined the Nashville Photography Club, so hopefully they can help me out with learning this thing a little better so I can get shots like yours!

Abilene06speed

Formerly Abilene01stang
Established Member
Oh and don't use your flash next time....just looked at your exif data and noticed you used the flash. Its not needed when you use a 30 second exposure....the camera receives plenty of light during that 30 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread