Got a engine troll. Need help please.

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
This thing will not idle where its supposed to. Start-up is 1000 to 1100rpm and after a few minutes driving, its anywhere from 1400 to 2000rpm. Sometimes it comes back down to 1100rpm when sitting at a light. Heres what I have done so far:

1. Replaced boost bypass solenoid on the Whipple (nipple busted off creating vac leak)
2. Rechecked all vac lines (no leaks and routed correctly)
3. Replaced TPS sensor and adjusted to .998 volts (old sensor would not go higher than .943volts)

I am running out of ideas and Dante at DMP thinks its mechanical. Anyone have any ideas? I am tired of bugs and just want to drive it.

Last edited:

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
I orginally thought the IAC was fine only because its the same one that came off my old motor and that idled without any issues. But after some data logging, the IAC integral values went from some rediculous number (1048756.00) to zero intermitently. It was either that or zero. Not linear. I am just waiting on Stan and Dante to confirm. What should that number be?

FordFanStan

Established Member
Scott, I just checked out your datalogs. Definitely something is up with your IAC, but I still need some more pids to correctly identify if there are other issues. I'll be resending you an email tomorrow momring from the shop once I hook up an Xcal2 to my pc. Without I cannot correctly see all the available pids to select from and I don't have one at my house right now. I need you to deselect some that are not needed and add some others in. Ttys, Stan

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Replaced the IAC today with one I had laying around from Mikes old motor. Still idles at 1100rpm! Double and triple checked for vac leaks and there is none. I have no clue what to look for next.

Anyone wanna buy a 6 speed Lightning? I am tired and pissed off. Goodnight.

Stan, I sent more logs. Take a look and let me know what you think.

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Sounds like the problem i had with my lighting when i added a Acufab t/b. Couldnt figure it out...it was brand new....switch tps..iac..kept trying to set voltages..nothing..switched t/b's and it was fine....prolly not your case but throwing in my 2 cents

haybale

Don't upset Little Man!!!
Established Member
here is a thought, it happened to me!!!

on the driver side head check the temp sensor/connection, if the sensor is reading low or not at all and the engine is warm it might make it idle goofy!! when it happened to me it did pretty much the same thing. I just cleaned the connection off and no problems yet!!

Did Stan figure anything out with the data logs?

Good luck!

Scuba-Matt

Boost Freak!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Replaced the IAC today with one I had laying around from Mikes old motor. Still idles at 1100rpm! Double and triple checked for vac leaks and there is none. I have no clue what to look for next.

Anyone wanna buy a 6 speed Lightning? I am tired and pissed off. Goodnight.

Stan, I sent more logs. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Scott did you set the IAC voltage to .99 volts ?

FordFanStan

Established Member
I think all Scotts voltages are set correctly, doesn't look like any vac leaks, and still we have small issue. It is weird, late last night we deleted some of the auto trans values to try, it brought the idle down alot, but then when it was running the speedo jumped to 220kmh, (140mph), and the odometer was rolling fast, in nuetral lol. So reloaded base values again and it brought the idle back up damnit. There is also a surging going on, idles down and then will idle up. Scott and I are going to get on the phone and possibly let me have remote access to his pc on Monday or Tuesday so we can try to figure this out by doing alot more datalogging and and trial and error with the auto trans parameters. I really think the SCT is not the best choice for a very custom setup like this, but it is the most easily obtainable and cheapest for Ford EECs.

I'm trying to note everything so when Mike is ready we will know exactly what to do hahaha.

Until then, I'm off to work to help tune this:
1966 Daytona with a 1993 Cobra engine and EEC IV and ofc ourse the 4 speed toploader.
0516081917.jpg

Last edited:

Scotts Elle

Yup. Still don't care.
Established Member
Still got issues. The speedo is good at neutral but when I am rolling any faster than 5-10 mph(ish) it goes right up to 220km/hr (140mph). I made a trip up to home depot which is about 5 miles away and the odometer put on about 35 miles.

The TPS is set and adjusted to .998 volts and the IAC is replaced. Stan and Dante have been really good with sending tunes and a quick note... "try this".

Its a custom set-up and long process. I am glad they are looking after it. I just hope we can fix this idle crap and the high rev stalling gets sorted out. It takes more than just turning off the trans controls in the ECM. There is tons of adjustments that have to be made as well.

FordFanStan

Established Member
Scott, I still need to get with you on the pc and do some more logging and testing things out. I have finals tomorrow though, so wednesday would eb best if you could, but your gonna have to set some time aside. Stan

Users who are viewing this thread