Got a charging problem

Dead Mach 1

Established Member
So Saturday I pick up my first cobra, and on the hour and a half ride home about 20 or so minutes from my house the car dies out. radio shuts off all the dash lights come on and if i hit the gas the car falls flat on its face (no power to speak of). so i pull over to the side of the road and it stalls out and wont start back up, the starter just clicks. the battery is dead as a door nail. the guy i bought the car off told me he just had a new altenator put in the car. i guess he read that they go bad and so he just put a new one in just because.

the cars stereo has been upgraded a bit, new head unit, kenwood amp, it had a sub woofer at one time, and it has a viper car alarm.

I don't know if the altenator is new or remanufacturer, he told me it was new but i dont know. he's sending me the old altenator and im going to put that one back in and go from there

has anyone with similar stereo upgrades or more upgrades ever have their altenator crap out on them? if so let me know what you did to fix it...

Last edited:

nicoli

Established Member
having the same issue with my cobra. difference was mine had a 4 inch alternator pulley on it with a stock crank. it would stay charged while i was driving but fall on its face at idle. im just gonna install my new metco crank and alternator pulley and probley grab a better amp output alternator while im at it.

Users who are viewing this thread