Got a Borla Quiet catback installed

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Sounds good. I had that same set up fo about 10mins. lol. Sounded nice, just not what I was looking for.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I picked up the catback for $400 slightly used (1K-2K miles). It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I wanted the XR-1's but couldn't find a catback with them. I might switch to them next spring.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
thought the xr1 WAS the quiet ones

The quiet ones look like any chambered muffler. The XR1's look like a bullet style or SLP style muffler. Actually I think the stingers are that shape. I bought the catback from the guy selling it in the market section under (Feeler-borla quiet catback)

Tarball

Established Member
I was under the impression S-type/stinger were the bullet style and XR1 look chambered.

EDIT: according to Borla.com they only make aggressive(stinger) and non-aggressive (xr1 i assume) cat back for the IRS. If you don't have the XR1's I'd assume you have stingers.

Last edited:

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
No. They are 3 different mufflers. XR1 is a bullet style "race" muffler, but different than the Stinger. The ones he has look just like regular mufflers. I do not believe they make an XR1 catback period - you can only buy the mufflers.

amorrow

Established Member
The comments about XR-1s being "bullet-style" is incorrect...well, partially incorrect. While Borla does make round "bullet-style" XR-1 mufflers, the XR-1s used in the discontinued cat-backs appear very similar to their standard "Turbo" mufflers, and appear to look like a traditional chambered muffler. I know this because I have an original XR-1 cat-back on my '98.

If you do switch to XR-1s (a modification I'd recommend if you want LOUD), you can opt for either round or oval XR-1 mufflers. I just ordered a set of round XR-1s for my '65, and look forward to comparing the two. Wish I could give input on the sound differences between the XR-1 styles now, but I don't have the '65 engine ready yet.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Well, there ya have it...I didn't know they made two versions of it. Buy me some XR1's for my car?

amorrow

Established Member
There are actuallly several types of XR-1 mufflers, but the most commonly used on street cars with an inlet and outlet are the oval and round variants.

I'd categorize Borla mufflers with these descriptions:

Turbos: relatively mild compared to other aftermarket mufflers
Stingers: loud
XR-1s: LOUD (more so than Stingers) and a bit higher-pitched

amorrow

Established Member
Those clips do sound great, and I think some of the volume can be attributed to the x-pipe. If you want to keep a reasonable dB level, Borla Turbos are the way to go, imo!

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Sounds great! :beer:

Borla was my 2nd choice.

There are actuallly several types of XR-1 mufflers, but the most commonly used on street cars with an inlet and outlet are the oval and round variants.

I'd categorize Borla mufflers with these descriptions:

Turbos: relatively mild compared to other aftermarket mufflers
Stingers: loud
XR-1s: LOUD (more so than Stingers) and a bit higher-pitched

Correct :beer: in three words Muffler, Round, or Oval style. Many companies have these variations you just have to look.

Users who are viewing this thread