Got a blower question about future setup

harleyreb1

Established Member
I'm in the process of restoring my cobra and getting close to finishing the interior. Next step is to pull the engine and refurb the engine bay and engine. Since I'm not keeping the cobra 100% stock(overall) I'm considering going witha small blower paxton...etc 5-6 psi. The engine is/will be basically stock except for forged pistions(stock comp ratio) a 1 step up from stock cam and it already has gt-40 alum heads on it. My questions is will the stock injectors and the FMU that comes with the blower kit be fine for daily driving. Or will I have to have it dyno tuned. Keep in mind I'm not taking it to the track every weekend and I'm not looking for the ultimate performance just a bit more than stock. Will this setup be fine to drive across country??? I want a car I can jump in a drive anywhere I want and not have to tune this or adjust that just to make it 50 miles. Thanks in advance!

1slohawk

Established Member
I had a friend run a vortech A-trim with fmu and a btm with no problems at all. he had a wideband in the car to make sure his air/fuel was safe. at 5-6psi you should have no problems at all.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Those injectors won't cut it. They may work with an FMU, but why try? just throw some injectors in it and don't worry about running lean.

-edit, I agree that they will technically work, but reallly, why not just throw some injectors in it, and do it right with no FMU and a couple more lbs of boost?

Besides, the small Paxton (Novi 1000) moves a good amount of air, and I wouldn't exactly call it small. A Vortech A trim is a small blower, not a Novi 1000, especially with stock injectors.

Last edited:

harleyreb1

Established Member
I'm kinda wanting to stay away from...

adding injectors and custom tunes(I'm not very close to any good tuners here in MS) like I said I'm just wanting a little more kick and not run the ragged edge of performance. And I'm not sold on Paxton vortech is fine( but i do kinda like paxtons new SL series, no hole to put in oil pan!) keep the responses coming!!!! Thanks again!!

harleyreb1

Established Member
As a side note I have already upgraded..

the fuel pump to 155lph unit but I still have teh stock 24lbhr injectors and stock MAF & TB.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
adding injectors and custom tunes(I'm not very close to any good tuners here in MS) like I said I'm just wanting a little more kick and not run the ragged edge of performance. And I'm not sold on Paxton vortech is fine( but i do kinda like paxtons new SL series, no hole to put in oil pan!) keep the responses coming!!!! Thanks again!!

you dont need a custom tune

drkhrse

Established Member
I run a 9lb Powerdyne with stock 24# and a FMU, Nothing but problems.

Last summer I switched to 30#, no fmu and got it duno tuned, Big improvement!! It is all stock from TB to pan, (except port martched upper to lower intake and a windage tray) made 353 rwhp, 369 rwt and drives great!! I drove it to SLC from Boise last summer ran the open track SVT exp III event and drove it home, no problems.

Deadly_engine.jpg

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
adding injectors and custom tunes(I'm not very close to any good tuners here in MS) !!
No tune needed, all you need is an A9L computer and a matched MAF to the injectors. Hang on to your stock stuff, or sell it off to pay for the computer and injectors with cash left over.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
No tune needed, all you need is an A9L computer and a matched MAF to the injectors. Hang on to your stock stuff, or sell it off to pay for the computer and injectors with cash left over.

exactly!! I run 60lb injector, pmas blow through mass calibrated to 60's on a stock cobra computer with no problems.

Last edited:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Agree with the others, do not use stock injectors and a FMU. I would start out with a 36# injectors, a 255 in tank pump, and pulley it to 9psi. Only running 5-6 psi will not be efficient or give you enough power for it to be worth the investment. Definitely swap to a A9L computer or you will have to have a custom tune.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
Im curious y does everyone say switch to the A9L. Im running the stock cobra computer with no issues and without a custom tune. What r the pros of the A9L verse the stock cobra unit.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
Im curious y does everyone say switch to the A9L. Im running the stock cobra computer with no issues and without a custom tune. What r the pros of the A9L verse the stock cobra unit.

you are lucky then.

The x3z likes to do strange things with the MAF transfer function when using aftermarket meters.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
you are lucky then.

The x3z likes to do strange things with the MAF transfer function when using aftermarket meters.

Ive heard that before. My car pulls with no problem to 5800rpms. Does this problem show up on the dyno graphs or is something that I could actually feel. Besides the occasional idle surge. It drives like factory

For future reference. What are these strange problems?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread