Google Car.. Great idea, yes or no?

03DontMach

Established Member
I remember seeing this a couple years ago. Very cool imo. Maybe we can make a law where horrible drivers have to use a google car. Haha.

wallie40

Established Member
That is what i was thinking. There is a flip side to the coin. Big companies, Ford, chevy, honda, wouldnt really exist. Insurance companies could collapse due to claims falling off. Hospitals could see less patients since accidents are falling off.

I think it is a great idea, if implemented the correct way.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Im for it. The only con is if cars become automated we lose our freedom to drive how we want. Then again if they strike a balance by giving a manual mode option and all other cars networked can still "see" and compensate for the cars on manual mode and their movements, I dont see that as being a problem.

dwish

Established Member
After continuously seeing countless idiotic drivers every single day, this is probably a good thing.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I see it as a way to take away freedom, you know it will be used wrong to track us and control our movement.

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
I could picture one driving 55MPH in the left lane of the highway. Then I picture myself getting really pissed off.

9CobraVert8

Established Member
There will never be a fully automated driving world. Not for a looooooooong time. Cool idea, but I don't think it'd ever work.

motoman991

Banned
I've heard about this tech awhile back. The first thing I thought of was who is responsible when a wreck occurs. The person in the car obviously isn't in control of the vehicle, it's the computer produced by the manufacturer.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I've heard about this tech awhile back. The first thing I thought of was who is responsible when a wreck occurs. The person in the car obviously isn't in control of the vehicle, it's the computer produced by the manufacturer.

Last time I heard they logged 240, 000mi and only one single incident occurred. It was the operators fault for taking it to manual when he wasnt ready causing a fender bender in the google campus parking lot.

A wreck would not occur between two automated cars. Unlike a human, the computer sees way more options and outcomes per millisecond and chooses the most logical course of action without hesitation. Two of them that are networked wouldnt both make enough wrong decisions in sequence to create a collission unless there was other mechanical failure. Now a human driver vs automated, if the automated car cannot compensate fot the actions of the human driver then its likely that the human driver has messed up bad enough that a collission is unavoidable.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I could picture one driving 55MPH in the left lane of the highway. Then I picture myself getting really pissed off.

Automated cars will likely be able to drive faster on freeways.

If there was more automated care than manual ones they could start driving closer to eachother and faster since the volume of cars per area of roadway would decrease if they can pack tighter.

They can do this, yet google maps sucks! Lol

As compared to?

usmc320

Established Member
I'm surprised so many people on a car enthusiast site are for taking away the pleasure of driving.

flS/R

Established Member
repost, this was done in the movie iROBOT to name one

seriously, if more drivers would realize that driving requires active participation instead of treating it as if it were an inconvenience there wouldn't be too much need for this technology.

electric power steering, okay. Drive-by-wire, maybe. Steer-by-wire, not so sure. Google car, WALL-E is going to be busy. There would be no point in having to get a driver license at this point

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
I like the thrill of driving too much to even consider a car like this.

Are people really this incapable/lazy to drive!?

Users who are viewing this thread