goodyear tires on the Shelby

Cman01

hello
Established Member
I've been reading about how the Goodyear tires were designed for the Shelby and all that jazz, so how are they really for this car?

I've never been a fan of Goodyear tires (never liked them) so I've been thinking of switching them out for a different brand once I get my car (hated the G/year runflat tires on my Z, had a buyer lined up the instant I got my car and put on B/stone RE050 RF's, wwwwaaaayyyyyy better tire).

Been looking on tirerack and am considering getting Pilot Super Sport Michelins (in OE size) for the car. What do you think?

Michelin Pilot Super Sport Shelby GT500&autoModClar=Coupe

BOD89LX

Established Member
Well I have olny put about 150 miles on mine but they seem fine but pick up every stone on the road I would change them for that fact alone.

flyby763

Established Member
Dont compare those garbage runflats that GM uses to these...no comparison. While the G2s may not be the greatest, they are better than those.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
apparently the G:2 tires work great after you get a lot of heat in them, but aren't so great while cold.

They must be some kind if wonder tire considering GM cut 1.6 60ft. times....
:lol:

Dont compare those garbage runflats that GM uses to these...no comparison. While the G2s may not be the greatest, they are better than those.
the GT500 and ZL1 use the same tires:poke:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
I thought the ZL1 tires were zl1 specific ?
well goodyear produces them in a specific compound for GM, just like they do for ford as well, but that's about it. the tire construction and design is still the same, it's just the compound that's different. but it sounds way cooler in a press release to say that "goodyear is making these tires SPECIFICALLY for our car!!!"

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
It has to be a lot of heat. I am not a fan of them. A few months ago some idiot tried to change into a lane I was still in. I gave some throttle and turned the wheel a little left to avoid him and ended up losing traction and doing a 180. Granted TC was off but to this day I still believe I did not over steer and did not give enough throttle to break grip. I just don't trust them and wish a more viable option was out there.

apparently the G:2 tires work great after you get a lot of heat in them, but aren't so great while cold.

flyby763

Established Member

Unless they changed something for 12 and 13, the vette does not use the same tire as the gt500 and zl1. I was comparing the G2 to the runflat the vette uses.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Lol ok makes sense now
yea, ford did the same thing a few years back when "BFG made tires specifically for the ford raptor!!!", when they are just your good ol' BFG in a ford specified rubber compound.

Unless they changed something for 12 and 13, the vette does not use the same tire as the gt500 and zl1. I was comparing the G2 to the runflat the vette uses.
agent504 was referring to the mythical 11 second run by GM with the ZL1 camaro in which it pulled a 1.6x 60ft on "stock" tires. he wasn't talking about the corvette. and, on a side note, the corvette has been using non-run flat michelin's for a little while now.

Last edited:

flyby763

Established Member
yea, ford did the same thing a few years back when "BFG made tires specifically for the ford raptor!!!", when they are just your good ol' BFG in a ford specified rubber compound.

agent504 was referring to the mythical 11 second run by GM with the ZL1 camaro in which it pulled a 1.6x 60ft on "stock" tires. he wasn't talking about the corvette. and, on a side note, the corvette has been using non-run flat michelin's for a little while now.

Maybe so, but I was talking to the OP and he was talking about a 'Vette. I guess they started using the G2s on them for the 2012 model year, my GFs 11 vette had the Gen 1 F1s, that what I was originally refering to. The Michelins are runflats according to Chevys website.

phil123

Established Member
They are fine when warm but when cold sometimes it is like they are on marbles. I have had a few unpleasant surprises and have to remind myself to take it easy till they warm up. The only tires in the same size Tire Rack shows are Pilot Super Sport Michelins and they are noted as BMW specific.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The Z06 vettes now use the Goodyear Gen2 F1 runflat tires, which from what I've read seem to be better than the Gen1 version (what my Z had). They only come with the Michelin ps2 runflats when equipped with the carbon ceramic brakes (along with a larger wheel and tire package) to get those tires.

Since someone mentioned the Pilot Sport Michelins in the Shelby sizes are BMW specific, would there be an issue to put them on a Shelby?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Pilot Super Sports FTW!! Should have been stock on this car. No pre-heating nessasary! They just grip and go.

speedrx

Established Member
One of the first things I do is swap out stock tires for Michelins on all my vehicles, I would love to hear some first hand experiences with a Michelin swap on the '13 GT500.

Users who are viewing this thread