Good wheel set up

erick stangup

Established Member
In a few months ill be getting a paxton so now im looking into new wheels and tires to hold the power. Im going to go with drag radials but what size will be best? I want some nice black rims with nice chunky tires. I will be dropping my 2011 mustang about an inch and a half. I also take my car to car shows so i want some nice style rims

wile2k

Established Member
How important is performance to you over looks? How big is your budget? I just spent about 5 weeks solid doing research for the exact same thing. What I decided on though was based on my criteria, and that might not align with what you'd want.

erick stangup

Established Member
How important is performance to you over looks? How big is your budget? I just spent about 5 weeks solid doing research for the exact same thing. What I decided on though was based on my criteria, and that might not align with what you'd want.

Performance is top priority. Budget is around 3k.

wile2k

Established Member
Performance is top priority. Budget is around 3k.

That is plenty of money for a nice wheel / tire setup.

Since performance is top priority, then 15x10 rear and 17x5 front is a good combo with nice tire selection and great performance potential. You can save another pound or two by going 15x4 front but you have to switch to a 05-10 front caliper bracket and rotor. Do you have a Brembo car, that affects wheel clearance due to the brakes and I haven't researched that very in depth (not a problem on my car)? You will need sway bar relocation brackets for the 15x10 rear either way.

If you just want something to bolt on and go, then I'd go with Weld wheels, RT-S series. They are light and high quality and come in a few designs. Here is a fitment chart for Weld on Ford,
http://weldracing.com/press/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Weld-RT-S-Ford-App-Guide-May-2013.pdf
Check out this for their designs
http://weldracing.com/street-performance/rt-s-2014/rt-s-15.html

From the above fitment chart, you have exact part numbers with spec. The specs will be relatively safe from an offset / backspace perspective and should fit without issue. On the 10" rear, an offset from +45 to +55 would be good and allow a bit of rear tire bulge and on the front, a 5" should have an offset of around -5mm to -15mm (the 15x4 would need an offset of around -25mm).

For tire, you'd have to decide on slick or drag radial. Slicks would be max performance since they will weigh less than radial tires and are more strip oriented. Match the front to what rear you choose. The popular drag tire manufacturers all sell suitable front runners for the skinny fronts.

Let some of that sink in and let me know what I can try to clarify further on.

Users who are viewing this thread