Good street tires

GoneN60

Established Member
I'm looking for a pair of sticky street tires to put in the rear of my 13. Right now i'm on toyo proxie plus 4s (255/20" front 295/20" rear. They are very good tires but cant seem to handle the added power from the new blower. I know 1st and 2nd are usesless. 3rd gear seems to be the gear of choice at 60 mph for roll races but still i break traction a bit on these tires. I do have a pair of Nitto 555 DRs that I'm reluctant to use because of the strain on the clutch an tranny right now. I have a race against a TT porshe 911 that I plan to race and use them then. I'm just looking for a good set of street tires that would give me better traction than these toyos. I really dont want to have to drive on DRs all the time but if I have to I will . My car is hardly driven hard. Thanks!

RC-5.0

Established Member
From what I've read about the Proxy's, they are about as good as you can get without going to a DR. Also the Non-DR NT05's are pretty good for the street, but if you hvae a power adder there is really NO non-DR tire that will grab on the street. I have 555's, 305/35 out back and with "only" 580 at the wheels, can still spin them. One of the trade offs on a DD Power adder car is going to a stickier tire that wear faster, ride harsher and cost $$..
RC

GoneN60

Established Member
Most of my races would be 60mph+ roll racing so I figured I could get away with a stickier street tire. I guess I will have to mount the radials and leave em on. Thanks for the reply!

cjd223

Established Member
You might consider these if your wheels are wide enough. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...dewall=Blackwall&partnum=835YR0R888&tab=Specs The Nittos have a UTQG of 300. Pretty hard tire. Or these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...wall=Blackwall&partnum=835WR0GFROLD&tab=Specs As RC said, nothing is going to hold 600+ hp except DRs. A TVS really destroys tires. I am in the process of installing mine. I have some 10x18 wheels that I am going to install Nitto 555R 305/45-18 on. My 12 A6 Premium came with the 8.5x19 wheels. I figure it will take be about 5 minutes to swap back and forth with my air wrench. OTOH the 555Rs may be my DD tires. I wrestled for weeks trying to decide between a TVS, Procharger Stage II and Vortech.

Users who are viewing this thread