Good street tire

Zevox

Established Member
What are your guys opinions on every day street tires? Looking to get tires and probably upgrade rims at the same time. The rims I'm looking at are the silver AMR 20x8.5/10's. Probably 255/35 up front and either 275/35 or 285/30 out back. Not sure if I want the height or width more.

On to tires! I was thinking Nitto 555's or the Hankook Ventus V12's. I could go with Mickey Thompson Street Comps or Cooper RS3-S if I go with the 275/35. I'm open to other suggestions just trying to stay out of the $300++ a tire range since being staggered they won't live as long as normal.

Last edited:

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
I went with 295/35/20 on my 20's because I knew it's more of for looks and I want some ride quality. I also don't want to bend my 600 dollar wheel. Even with the taller tire my MPH at the track is within 1mph of my usual time on a shorter tire. That was my rationale. I went with the Nitto Invo decent life, looks, and price. I highly recommend the Ventus if they have it in your size. I think they have more traction than the Invo I was able to get a 1.8 60ft on 275's and they last a long time. I've run 555's as well and once they break loose it takes forever to get traction back as well as being pretty loud.

Last edited:

burke985

Established Member
Alot of guys like the continental Extremecontact DW's which is what ill probably be going with since Michelin dont make a SS in my size that i need on the front

Baysixx

Established Member
Are you looking for a god street tire as in straight line traction, traction thru turns, quiet, etc? Obviously a drag radial would be best for straight line traction but I just went from the stock zeros to 275/40/19 Michilin ps2's. The cars handles like its on rails thru the twisters and straight line will hook up in second if its warmer than 70* with my current mods.

greenscobie86

Established Member
My advice for a daily driven tire as follows:
I have silver 19" AMRs that I just put on a few months ago. I have 285/35/19 Mickey Thompson all around. They are pretty darn good in the wet and even in the snow surprisingly! They are stiffer and noisier than the factory Pirellis for sure though. Overall Im happy with them. Decent off the line traction too, definitely not the BEST but overall 8/10 I would say.

Pic form the first snow these tires(and the car have seen this past weekend)
2013-12-08174148_zpsf0a0a7b2.jpg

Zevox

Established Member
Are you looking for a god street tire as in straight line traction, traction thru turns, quiet, etc? Obviously a drag radial would be best for straight line traction but I just went from the stock zeros to 275/40/19 Michilin ps2's. The cars handles like its on rails thru the twisters and straight line will hook up in second if its warmer than 70* with my current mods.

I'm going more for straight line traction but good riding and quiet are pluses. On my mods, which is little to none, in the mid 70°'s last night I shifted to second at around 2000rpm got in it and burned through all of second and third... I have to get better traction. I almost feel like even a 285 will be too small but the 295/305 tires are into a pricey range.

stang8psi

Established Member
When a budget is in your case wants and needs vs price and size well you are In a pickle! Can't have size which you want but don't want to pay for well than you don't need them.. you want to pay XXX price well 275/35-285/30 are your choice. Now you want ride quality and straight line performance.. well that's going to limit your choice to 275/35 for ride choice and 285/30 shorter but wider and limited to a good brand for the bigger contact patch.. if it helps I went with 275/35/20 on my car due to price ride comfort and matching fronts In a 255.. the height was my major concern I wanted a close to 28" rear tire that also had brand marching front tires and were a good value price for just driving it around and not worried about performance that much.. I have a set of track wheels and tires for that.

Good luck with your choices..

Dave5.0

Established Member
In WARM and DRY weather, the Hankook R-S3s + my suspension bring my 730RWHP Coyote to traction in 2nd gear. That says something.

Not to mention they handle like an R comp with a progressive break away.

Last edited:

MRSUPRA

Established Member
/\I like RS3's, but at $400+ per tire on a 20'' rim. Kind of expensive.

Zevox

Established Member
When a budget is in your case wants and needs vs price and size well you are In a pickle! Can't have size which you want but don't want to pay for well than you don't need them.. you want to pay XXX price well 275/35-285/30 are your choice. Now you want ride quality and straight line performance.. well that's going to limit your choice to 275/35 for ride choice and 285/30 shorter but wider and limited to a good brand for the bigger contact patch.. if it helps I went with 275/35/20 on my car due to price ride comfort and matching fronts In a 255.. the height was my major concern I wanted a close to 28" rear tire that also had brand marching front tires and were a good value price for just driving it around and not worried about performance that much.. I have a set of track wheels and tires for that.

Good luck with your choices..

I dislike the thought of having a shorter rear tire than I already do, which is why the 285/30 is not my preferred choice. These won't be seeing the track, I just want to make sure I buy something that will at least sort of hook on the streets.

I've been very happy with the Nitto NT05's, I think Discount Tire has them for ~$233 each, my rears run 275/40/20.http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/tires/nitto/size/viewProductDetail.do?pc=40523

Nitto's website says they are coming out with a 305/30r20 which would be just what I want, not sure how much it would like being crammed on a 10" rim, but not sure when it will release.

This decision kind of hit when I found a bubble in my stock Pirelli's sidewall, it might be okay but I should probably be tire shopping... :nonono:

Last edited:

vortecd

Established Member
Nitto 555r's are a great daily driver tire. They work great in the rain also.

kona12

Established Member
My advice for a daily driven tire as follows:
I have silver 19" AMRs that I just put on a few months ago. I have 285/35/19 Mickey Thompson all around. They are pretty darn good in the wet and even in the snow surprisingly! They are stiffer and noisier than the factory Pirellis for sure though. Overall Im happy with them. Decent off the line traction too, definitely not the BEST but overall 8/10 I would say.

Pic form the first snow these tires(and the car have seen this past weekend)
2013-12-08174148_zpsf0a0a7b2.jpg

just dont ride on them when it get colder cause they suck in the cold feel like skates be careful as they are straight summer tires coming from your neighbor in BK..

greenscobie86

Established Member
^
Good looking out. Much appreciated. Definitely dont plan to daily the car on these but I came away pleasantly surprised to say the least.

hoodley

Established Member
if you can get the sumitumo in 20" go with them. i have the amr wheels 275/40/18 on back and ride great and cut a 1.9regular 1.87 best 60foot so far, with about 10k miles on em they look new and i go to the track every week

Users who are viewing this thread