Good rubbing compound for headlights?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
***Pics added!*** Good rubbing compound for headlights?

I'm wanting to avoid buying an overpriced kit, especially since I already have sanding paper from 800 all the way to 2000, so all I need is the compound. Has anyone done their own true DIY headlight cleaning and what product did you use so I know what to look for when I go to Autozone or O'Reilly's next?

Also, will a random orbital like you use for paint work for the polishing or should I just use a buffer that goes on the end of a drill?

Edit : I tried using my Meguiar's PlastX and it didn't work, so that's what got me thinking I need something more aggressive.

Last edited:

clbailey

Established Member
I normally go with wet 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 then a rubbing compound then a polishing compound then normal wax. Keeps theme nice for a while. All by hand. You eventually will need to just shell out for new headlights.

mnewxcv

Established Member
ive used ultimate compound on a few sets, by hand with a cloth applicator pad with a velcro hand grip. took elbow grease but they looked great after. depending how bad they are you might not need sand paper at all. I didnt.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I don't mind doing it by hand if I need to, I just don't know what chemical I should actually get since there are so many - I haven't heard of Ultimate Compound, who makes it?

The headlights are now "clear" in the sense that there is no more peeling and the surface is smooth as glass, but now just a bit hazy that needs to be buffed out, so at least my in my case the wetsanding definitely helped. This is the first time I've sanded/polished the lights so I was thinking that once I finish it this time, using some 3M covering to "seal" the headlight from further deterioration.

Last edited:

thebestdj07

Established Member
The most course id go is 1500. 2500 usualy works just fine. I then use a mini buffer with a yellow pad and 3m prefect it compound and polish. Also used 105 and 205

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
3M makes a plastic cleaner and a plastic polish. I've used them (cleaner then polish) after the 1000 to 1500 to 2000 wetsand w/good results. But I've also had a set of headlights that the hardcoat was too far gone and it never looked new. Much better than they were but not new looking. It really depends on how far gone they are before you try something.

Slowerthnyou99

Established Member
plast-x works good, if they are not horrible even a wax with a mild cut will clean them up. I cant believe they charge 20 bucks for a headlight restore kit lol.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
plast-x works good, if they are not horrible even a wax with a mild cut will clean them up. I cant believe they charge 20 bucks for a headlight restore kit lol.

That's kinda my thinking and although I'm one that will pay for something if I know it will work better than anything else, I know the kits price is NOT the sum of its parts and are made for the non-car guy that just wants to buy something to pretty them up for aesthetics or brightness reasons and be done. I don't mind skimping $15-$20 and just buying the rubbing compound and pad myself.

I posted this also on Corral and wanted to clarify something before I go to Autozone later - RUBBING compound is what I want and not POLISHING compound, right?

leegro1015

Established Member
I have done this a few times. But i use my orbital buffer. I start with turtle wax rubbing compund first. If that doest help then i go straight to 1,000 grit wet sand. Then maybe a 1500 grit. Then back to the rubbing compund followed by a polish. It all goes the same as working on paint start with the least abbrasive and work your way to a more aggressive if needed. My next trick i am going to try is wet sanding 800 grit, clear coat then work with sanding and polishing what do you guys think?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Thought I would followup on this in case anyone else reads this and is looking for the same thing. Turned out I had Ultimate Compound all along and was sitting in my detailing box for months that I had forgotten about :kaboom:

After the wetsanding up to 2000 grit, it left the light hazy (obviously) and the PlastX did virtually nothing for the light as you can see here :

IMG_4491.gif

This is barely hitting it with Ultimate Compound while the headlight is still on the car, so not only did I not get good surface contact like I did with the light sitting on my bench, but there was hardly any product on the edge of the pad I was using :

IMG_4494.jpg

I have no doubt that once I pull the light off and polish it properly it will look almost brand new again! Thanks for all the thread replies and hopefully this helps someone else later on down the line.

zPipes

Established Member
Thats with the Meguires Ultimate Compound huh? Good to know, Ill have to give it a whirl. Do you have to use a buffer or can it be done by hand?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Thats with the Meguires Ultimate Compound huh? Good to know, Ill have to give it a whirl. Do you have to use a buffer or can it be done by hand?

Yea, this was the stuff recommended and the stuff I found in my garage, unopened of course :bash: :

2815_lg.jpg

I used my random orbital that I use for polishing my cars, but I'm sure you can use it by hand as well. I would recommend using terry cloths instead of microfiber since its more "abrasive" and will really help to polish it out; at least, that's what I used and it worked great!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Since I actually finished the job, figured I'd post up pics real quick of the final product. I might still hit it one more time before putting the lights back on, but here is a good look(s):

IMG_4503.jpg

I think I might post up a how-to so if I do, I'll post that link in this thread as a heads up. The good thing about this stuff, is that I spent at most the same amount as a headlight restoring kit but I have so much sandpaper, compound, and pads left that I could do a lot more jobs than the kits can.

Here is everything I used...

IMG_4508.jpg

... and the results starting with 800 grit :
IMG_4512.jpg

1000 grit :
IMG_4513.jpg

1500 and 2000 grit :
IMG_4514.jpg

polished and done :
IMG_4515.jpg

Both sides now done, will take a pic once they are on the car and after the car has been polished up
IMG_4516.jpg

shurur

Established Member
I used 300, 600, 1000, 2000 all wet sanded with denatured alchohol. (not lacquer thinner as it will eat your plastic.... not sure about the use of paint thinner ). Then I sprayed lenses with clear acrylic/enamal uv paint.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread