Good pump for E85

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
I was looking into keeping a barrel of E85 at the house and was wondering what was the best way to dispense E85 out of a 55 gal drum. Was thinking of just hand pumping it or finding an electric pump thats safe for it. Local race shop uses an air compressor to pressure up the tank and pump it out that way but I feel an air compressor is adding water.

Bad Company

Established Member
I was looking into keeping a barrel of E85 at the house and was wondering what was the best way to dispense E85 out of a 55 gal drum. Was thinking of just hand pumping it or finding an electric pump thats safe for it. Local race shop uses an air compressor to pressure up the tank and pump it out that way but I feel an air compressor is adding water.
E85 doesn't vaporize as fast as gasoline. But still make sure you get a pump and hose system designed for fuel transfer. The hose will have an anti-static build up feature that bleeds the static electricity back to the pump and barrel. Run a ground wire from the drum to a ground rod to dissipate any static electricity build up while transferring fuel. Otherwise on a hot day when the E85 does vaporize fairly easily, you could have a flash fire on your hands. A friend of mine got burnt badly because of this with diesel fuel, which isn't as volatile as gas either. Most diesel transfer pumps designed for small tanks or barrels don't have anti-static features

Now where does the static electricity build up come from? The transfer of fuel as it rushes through the hose and into the tank of the car. The other big problem ocurrs in the winter months when people get back in their car while refueling at a gas station. The hot dry air inside the car promotes static electricity build up when the person moves to exit the car. They never touch the body of the car or pump to bleed it off. Once they grab the pump handle and remove the nozzle the static electricity in their body jumps at the pump nozzle tip as it exits the car. Right where the gas vapors are during refueling. Always touch the car body before you grab the handle to remove the nozzle to dissipate static electricty

Users who are viewing this thread