Good PC games?

slick4_6

Established Member
I have been playing Rainbow Six Vegas 1&2, COD4, Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway, Ace Combat, and GTA San Andreas for PS3 and PS2 respectively. My laptop died again with another hard drive failure so I decided it was time to replace it. The last PC games I played were Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Battlefield 1942. I am getting a new laptop and want to get a few good PC games to play on it and so I can play on the Live Network with a few of my buddies. What are some good PC games? Will I be able to really crank up the graphics on most of the new PC games with this setup?

System specs are:
Area-51® m15x

Warranty: 3-Year AlienCare Onsite Service and 24/7 Toll-Free Phone Support
Design & Display: Silver Ripley Design
Display: 15.4" WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 LCD (1200p)
System Lighting: Alienware® AlienFX® System Lighting - Blue
Video/Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® Series - 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 9800M GT
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz (6MB Cache 800MHz FSB)
Operating System (Office software not included): Windows Vista® Ultimate with Service Pack 1
Notebook Tuners and Remotes: With ExpressCard Media Center Remote Control
Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 667MHz – 2 x 1024MB
Turbo Cache Memory: Intel® Turbo Memory (1GB) – Accelerate Data Transfer Speed
Available on Windows Vista Only!
System Drive: 160GB 7,200RPM (8MB Cache) w/ Free Fall Protection
Optical Drives : 8x Dual Layer Burner (DVD±RW, CD-RW) w/ LightScribe Technology - View Demo
Wireless: Internal Intel® Wireless 4965 a/b/g/Draft-N Mini-Card
Sound Card : Internal High-Definition Audio with surround sound
Keyboard Options: AlienFX® Illuminated Keyboard – Exclusive Design
Mobile Essentials: Belkin® AC Anywhere 300W Vehicle Outlet Adapter
AlienRespawn: AlienRespawn v2.0 Recovery DVD – Windows Vista® Edition
Microsoft Office Suites: Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 – Factory Installed!
Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint and One Note
Port Adapters: FireWire Adapter: 9-pin (1394b) to 6-pin (1394a)
Port Adapters: HDMI Cable: Connect to any HDMI display

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
The RAM seems a little off, you should get at least 800 MhZ DDR if you are sticking with 2GB, but I would look into 3.

Also is your OS 64bit or 32bit Vista?

I would hate to see the pricetag on that thing.

Did you try other boutique builder sites like Falcon Northwest, Vigor Gaming, Maxforcepc.com, etc?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
youre gonna pay an extra $1k just for the name (XPS/Alienware).

start off with a base dell, like a Inspiron 1520/21 or 1720/21 and go from there. Or check out other offerings.

Last year my buddy built a 1720/21 (the last digit denotes either intel or amd, first two denote screen size) with the best intel processor available (2.5ghz dual core), best video card available (8600M-GT) and 4gb of the best available ram, largest screen resolution (1920x1200 glossy widescreen) and it was $1700 out the door. Plays Crysis on medium (which is hard to do because Crysis was programmed wrong and rushed) and almost everything out there on full.

Last edited:

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
youre gonna pay an extra $1k just for the name (XPS/Alienware).

start off with a base dell, like a Inspiron 1520/21 or 1720/21 and go from there. Or check out other offerings.

Last year my buddy built a 1720/21 (the last digit denotes either intel or amd, first two denote screen size) with the best intel processor available (2.5ghz dual core), best video card available (8600M-GT) and 4gb of the best available ram, largest screen resolution (1920x1200 glossy widescreen) and it was $1700 out the door. Plays Crysis on medium (which is hard to do because Crysis was programmed wrong and rushed) and almost everything out there on full.

Sorry to hi-jack

What is the deal with cyrsis? I remember some on here made a thread that is was a bad ass game but when i bought it, it looked like ass. Terrible graphics.

Back on point

I would think about building your own. It's much cheaper.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
???What??? The other office manager i work with built his own. I believe he bought a older one and upgraded some of the parts in it.

that is very different then building one from stratch. and if this guy wants to play good games he will want the newest mobo's and chipsets that support DX10 graphics and a decent C2D.

MoToCoBrA

Established Member
that is very different then building one from stratch. and if this guy wants to play good games he will want the newest mobo's and chipsets that support DX10 graphics and a decent C2D.

Oh well I'm too good with computers. My friends laptop is damn good. I have played everything under the sun on it and i think he paid about 1500 total.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
The system you listed came out to $27xx.xx when I ran it.

This Dell is $20xx.xx
My Components
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
Tuxedo Black
No Microsoft Office
DellCare Premium
Full Hi Definition, glossy widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1920x1200) & 2.0 M
3GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)
Speed: 160GB 7200rpm SATA Hard Drive Free Fall Sensor
Slot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT
Dell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini Card
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
High Definition Audio 2.0
Finger Print Reader XPS M1530
Personalize
My Software & Accessories
My Service
Receive an E-mail for your Dell Remote Access
DataSafe included with DellCare Service bundle
No ISP requested
Also Includes
Windows Vista™ Premium
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
Black Glossy, widescreen 15.4 inch LCD (1280x800) & 2.0 MP Camera
I chose Security with Value, Plus,or Premium Warranty Bundle

This Vigor Gaming rig (a personal favorite company) is $16xx.xx

PROCESSOR Intel® Centrino® 2 Core™2 Duo Mobile Processor T9400 at 2.53 GHz, 1066MHz FSB, 6M Cache
NOTEBOOK COLOR Black
MB CORE LOGIC Intel PM45 + ICH9-M Chipset w/1066MHz FSB
SCREEN SIZE 15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 ClearView Glossy-Matt Wide Screen TFT LCD Display
MEMORY 4GB Kingston SODIMM KVR800D2S5K2/4G CL5 PC2-6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 X 2048MB)
TURBO MEMORY 1GB Intel Turbo Memory for up to 2X Faster Performances under Windows Vista
HARD DRIVE 160GB Ultra Performance S-ATA150 7200 RPM Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce Go 9600M GT 512MB DDR2 16X PCI Express DirectX 10 Ready
OPTICAL DRIVE Internal 8X Super Multi DVD+/-R/RW (4X+DL) + 24X CDRW Drive
RECORDING SOFTWARE Bundled DVD/CDRW Software
SOUND High Definition Azalia 7.1 8 Channel 3D Digital Audio w/2 Speakers
WIRELESS NETWORK WiFi Wireless Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Card
BLUETOOTH Internal Bluetooth Module
NETWORK PORT Built-in Gigabit 10/100/1000 Mbps NIC
MODEM 56K Modem with V.90 Technology
I/O PORTS 3 USB, Firewire, VGA, HDMI, Express Card Slot, and 4-in-1 Card reader for MMC/SD/MS/MS PRO
CAMERA Intergrated 2.0M High-Resolution Digital Video Camera
SECURITY Integrated Fingerprint Reader for Data Security
OPERATING SYSTEM Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit w/Original DVD
OPTIONAL MOUSE None.
EXTERNAL FLOPPY DRIVE None.
DIMENSIONS 14.11" Width X 10.20" Depth X 1.00"~1.54" Height. 6.5lbs.
MOBILE TRANSPORT Free Mobile Transport Bag (MSRP $69.99)
SERVICE Standard 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
EXTRA BATTERY None.
STORAGE MEDIA None.
SOFTWARE BUNDLE None.
ADDITIONAL SOFTWARE None.

This Maxforcepc (an upcoming company with good cust support) is $25xx.xx
*Note the DDR3 RAM*
Case: MSG 1598GT 15.4 (1920x1200)
Display: Clevo M860TU 15.4
Graphics: nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 512MB
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Mobile Processor T9400 2.53GHz 6MB
Memory: Super Talent DDR3-1066 SODIMM 3GB (2GB + 1GB)
Hard Drive: Seagate 160GB (ST9160823AS) 7200rpm SATA2 8MB
Optical Drive: 8X Super-Multi DVD ± RW Drive
Wireless LAN: Intel 5300 Wireless WiFi Link 802.11a/b/g/n
Solid State Drive: ***None***
Operating System: Microsoft Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Dual Boot OS: None - Hard Drive Formated after Testing
Productivity Software: None
Burn Software: None
Keyboard/Mouse Combo: None

IMO ALL three of these are better than the alienware! Make sure you look around man.

JasonSnake

Established Member
for those that don't know, yes you can have a laptop "customized to order" from the manufacturer but not in a way like you would with a desktop where you can fully build it yourself.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Sorry to hi-jack

What is the deal with cyrsis? I remember some on here made a thread that is was a bad ass game but when i bought it, it looked like ass. Terrible graphics.

Back on point

I would think about building your own. It's much cheaper.

its just not programmed correctly to take advantage of much of anything. really glitchy and rushed out so they could say they have the best looking game, even though almost nobody at the time could play it to its full splendor. i couldnt play it on any higher than medium with my 8800GTX without getting into the sub 20 framerates. Even with a brand new GTX280 my buddy can run it on max. They rushed it and didnt take any time to streamline the game engine to make it playable for everyone, they went straight to uber graphics so the only people that could revel in the games beauty were uber pc builders with deep pockets, overclocked and watercooled gaming rigs, etc.

Right now though, every other game that has come out thats equal if not better graphics wise, i have no issues running on high or max.I was playing DiRT the other day with everything maxxed and just started to see low framerates only when i was surrounded by hella cars, once i got in the open, clear as day. Just picked up The Orange Box (which was new shit for GeForce8 cards) and was playing TF2 and i have the resolution on full and everything maxxed out, and still pumping out awesome framerates.

also you can check the Dell Outlet for deals on prebuilt systems.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the HP HDX(aka Dragon) it's a monster 20.1in hd screen 1680 x 1050, hell it even has a built in subwoofer. It's gotten stuck in the xray machines at Indianapolis' airport as well as LAX. Intel Centrino Processor/ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor x9000 2.8ghz . 4gigs of ram (dual channel) as well as a nvidia 8800m gts W 512 ded up to 2303mb shared. It has every bell and whistle including a Blu-ray drive. Vista Ultimate Sp1 x64 btw.
hp_hdx_notebook1.jpg

On the road I've been playing allot of Spore as well as Supreme Commander (+Forged Alliance exp). MS FLT SIM X, IL2 1946, and Battlefield 2 (+ all the expansions) are my other favorites. Civilization 4 is great too, it does not need any power to run it though.

Last edited:

JasonSnake

Established Member
I have the HP HDX(aka Dragon) it's a monster 20.1in hd screen 1680 x 1050, hell it even has a built in subwoofer. It's gotten stuck in the xray machines at Indianapolis' airport as well as LAX. Intel Centrino Processor/ Intel Core 2 Duo Processor x9000 2.8ghz . 4gigs of ram (dual channel) as well as a nvidia 8800m gts W 512 ded up to 2303mb shared. It has every bell and whistle including a Blu-ray drive. Vista Ultimate Sp1 x64 btw.
hp_hdx_notebook1.jpg

On the road I've been playing allot of Spore as well as Supreme Commander (+Forged Alliance exp). MS FLT SIM X, IL2 1946, and Battlefield 2 (+ all the expansions) are my other favorites. Civilization 4 is great too, it does not need any power to run it though.

yea what's the battery life, 30 seconds? lol

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
most processors and video cards on laptops/notebooks wont run at full power or full capability unless they are plugged into an AC outlet.

astrodudepsu

1of72 Hater
Established Member
And to answer your original question:

Fallout 3
Dead Space
Crysis Warhead
Bioshock and Mass Effect ( not brand new but still worth playing if you don't mind DRM)
Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 will be out eventually

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
The battery life is nearly 2 hours, which is pretty darn good. My old hp had about 45 min and it was just a non ht p4 with the brightness all the way down.
It's only 15.5 lbs and I had to order the case directly from hp (backpack and wheels/retractable handle), I don't have too much trouble with it besides airport security, which I deal with alot. It either gets stuck in the xray machine or the screeners test it for explosive residue. Thanks to my job im on the road 90% of the time and it is more of a mobile desktop, which is great when your not at home, and you need/want power.

BTw as far as games Farcry 2 is supposed to be out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread