Good ol' Slab Leak

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
For some reason the water tends to eat copper here. Any house thats 15 yrs old or more I guarantee will need a repipe of the whole house. Cape Coral was studied by national firms to try to pinpoint why the problem is so common. I believe it's a mix of the water treatment and the soil that does it.

The only time I heard of it eating out was if the water was acidic but with everything added to the water and soil anything is possible.

airjon23

Established Member
UPDATE:

It's been nearly 6-weeks since my slab leak was repaired. My damaged carpet was finally scheduled to be replaced this coming Wednesday (timely, huh?); however, I came home tonight to discover that I had another slab leak! (Side yard opposite supply from water main is flooded and can hear the same audible 'running water' sound as previous leak.) What are my options? I've obviously already contacted the home builder (voice mail), but, it appears as though this may be a vicious cycle! I'm going to try to locate a lawyer on Monday. This may sound crazy, but I want the builder to buy me out of my mortgage AND buy my family and I a new home in which to live. I think that is a very reasonable request...I don't want to keep having my slab busted up with a jackhammer every couple of months!

Similar to the first leak, the water has apparently found a way out from under the slab as opposed to leaking inside the house; however, UNLIKE last time, outside temperatures are now in the low 20's. I'm very concerned about slab/garage floor/driveway cracks now due to the freezing water. Also, I'm gaining increasing concern for mold and mildew that may find it's way inside my house!

Thoughts? Any lawyers/attorneys on here that think I have a legitimate case against the builder? I'm going to push for soil/sand testing and request proof of similar testing performed by the developer to gain approval to commercialize the land. (This used to be a farm field...no telling how many chemicals from herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc. have leached into the soil!)

By the way, for the ~5 years that I lived here BEFORE the first leak, our monthly water usage was approximately 3,700 gal/month. The first leak started in September and resulted in usage of nearly 11,000 gallons. Even though the leak was fixed 2-weeks into October, our October usage was over 48,000 gallons! What a leak! Obviously much more than the 275-gal/day leak that I thought I had! I don't even feel like looking at the meter this time to determine how bad it is leaking now.

Last edited:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
You own a 5 yr old house. It has leaks. It needs maintenance. If i was ever served papers from someone like yourself for this reason with such a stupid request, I'd find a place to bury you.

WTF are you jacked up on?

To the OP, I wish you didn't have to deal with that. I and my parent's have always had crawl spaces. I hope you get it taken care of.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
UPDATE:

This may sound crazy, but I want the builder to buy me out of my mortgage AND buy my family and I a new home in which to live. I think that is a very reasonable request...I don't want to keep having my slab busted up with a jackhammer every couple of months!

Thoughts? Any lawyers/attorneys on here that think I have a legitimate case against the builder? I'm going to push for soil/sand testing and request proof of similar testing performed by the developer to gain approval to commercialize the land. (This used to be a farm field...no telling how many chemicals from herbicides, pesticides, insecticides, etc. have leached into the soil!)

If your home is only 5 years old you should have a remedy through your new home warranty. If you are the original owner you have a 10 year full structural warranty, while only two years on plumbing, a case could be made for this effecting the foundation which is structural. Also, you likely have a claim for soil testing.

However, you are not entitled to the rescission of your deal with payback and the builder purchasing you another home. You really need to contact the state regarding the home warranty as they are typically regulated through the state.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
That sucks to hear.
Given what's said, maybe you can make a case for having the plumbing rerouted to your attic space. Insulation will be very important where you are if you go that route.

Most of the house around here with the afore mentioned copper issues have had their plumbing routed overhead. It is a big PIA, lots of cuts in drywall, repair and repaint but then you wouldn't have your plumbing underslab.

Good luck and if you go the lawsuit way try to find a forensic engineer near you to do a report.

Additionally: IIRC the going rate in this area for a replumb was $20-25K. Keep in mind contractor rates are different geographically and that rate was when everyone was busy. Aso, that cost wouldn't have included insulated/protected lines against freezing.

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Sorry to hear you have problems again. With the amount of water that is leaking you are going to end up with a small lake if it keeps up.

My Cobra

Gigidy Gigidy Gigidy
Established Member
This is a good read. Sorry to hear about that. I think they would have to fix the problem and re route the lines. Dunno if i was the builder if i would buy your house then buy you another one. But i would make it right the way you wanted it.

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Whats wrong with pex piping? I've used it on projects and I actually like it more than copper.

Some PEX is cheap, you have to get good stuff. Most will only work (or at least work best) with thier specific fittings and tools.

PEX is new, it has not really stood the test of time yet. The grey PVC used to be used alot, 10 years down the road and alot of lawsuits later it is now prohibited to use in most places.

Users who are viewing this thread