Good news and bad news RIP KB L

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
I got my SRT4. Pulls hard and runs great. Its very fast and I still got 26 miles to the gallon on the way back from VA. Ba

Bad news: I sold my L on Friday. My friend picks it up around 8 pm. Not even 24 hours later he tries to race a friend of his and blows a hole in the driver side of the block big enough to put your fist through. Evidently he held first gear out too long, the truck leaned out and put a rod through the block. At least this is how I think what happend. He said he turned around and his friend was behind him and he started to go, not even fast, he heard a tapping noise and it started smoking. Oil went everywhere. From where he started to spray oil and he stopped was quite a distance. From where he pulled out and the oil on the road started was about where 1st gear would have redlined at. Where he turned around at was a deserted part of the highway where people go to race. They turn around and race back on the highway. He is trying to say that I sold him a truck with motor problems and know it was about to blow and didn't say anything. I have owned this truck for over a year and a half with no problems. He gets it and blows the motor within 24 hours. He has a track record of not taking care of shite. He convinced me and my parents that he would take care of the truck and baby it just as I had. I guarantee you he grabbed the steering wheel and just stomped it. It hit 6000 or whatever the highest rev limit is and expected it to shift and instead just blew it. I am so pissed. He bought the truck and signed the title into his name. It was his mistake and is his problem. Any advice/ suggestions???

JP

EnglishAdam

Established Member
Why do think he held first gear too long? Was he manually shifting the trans?
I see from the mods in your sig that you were probably sailing close to the wind on a vented block anyway. 16lbs on a stock block and cold weather is not a good combo. Did the truck need your snow kit to stay out of detonation? Maybe it failed or he ran the tank dry. The words Time Bomb come to mind.
Hopefully, you gave him a receipt that says "sold as seen" or something similar or at least made him aware of how your truck was tuned.

Last edited:

lightning666

Established Member
if he was manually shifting that was his own fault. If he was just driving down when the engine blew then he would have a reason but not if he was racing

KenneSVT

GOT BOOST??
Established Member
No warranty. I offered to detune the truck he denied. He know the power and performance of the truck. He wanted it that way. He knew it had too much power. Its a SHOW truck not a RACE truck. I take it to car MEETS not HRP every weekend!! No bashing on you guys, I am just really pissed.

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
That really sucks. I sorta know how you feel. I sold a friend my bagged 98 Sonoma, and he proceeded to take it to his friends "shop" and had the rear frame notched, and the bed cut up. Poor truck.

KYLightning02

Established Member
hell his fault screw him for blowing it up its his problem not yours all you gotta worry bout now is your srt-4 you sell out LOL just playen man but yea dont worry about his truck now

o0QuikSilver0o

Established Member
The kid I sold my civic to blew the head gasket on the way home.. It was his first boosted car and the civic was purrin like a kitten when I handed the keys over. I ended up giving him the money for a headgasket.. But its a little different in your case.

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
Yeah your not at fault at all... I wouldnt stress about it, next time you see him get a quote for a new built motor and just give it to him... Tell him he knew what he was getting into with that high of mods on a stock block.

Thunder Bolt

AKA Ron's Bolt!
Established Member
Justin, if I recall correctly your truck didn't even have larger injectors, MAF and pumps.
It was just a matter of time. Driving it hard in the right conditions (cool weather) would
eventually do her in.
BTW, did your tuner have the shift points set at 6,000 RPM's? If not it was a sign that your
tranny was starting to go out. All in all the engine failure could have been avoided.

bmfgsxr

Established Member
regardless of whether the truck was a time bomb or not he bought it as his, did not want you to detune it, and he blew it up racing.. the truck wasnt ticking when he drove it off so its not like you sold him a rotten apple. but the kid wasnt smart enough to know any better.. he should have done his research on how L's should be modded. i dont think you owe him anything. although it is a very unfortunate situation.

LightningMAS

Banned
bmfgsxr said:
regardless of whether the truck was a time bomb or not he bought it as his, did not want you to detune it, and he blew it up racing.. the truck wasnt ticking when he drove it off so its not like you sold him a rotten apple. but the kid wasnt smart enough to know any better.. he should have done his research on how L's should be modded. i dont think you owe him anything. although it is a very unfortunate situation.

+1

Justin, i think ur L is telling u, why did u sell me to a Retard, who dont know anything about me.. he blew it up, so its his fault.. dont worry... if he keeps coming to u about money for a built motor... Tell him "OH WELL" I guess uve learned ur lesson.. i told u about it and u didnt listen and then go out and tear it up.. his fault... now time to build her up..

but, damn that sucks man.. poor L.. :(

Last edited:

MMShaggy

10 Second Club
Established Member
+2, I never sell to friends, just for that reason. Accidents happen.

Not your fault. He was racing, not you. How can he get mad at you because he was racing and blew her on a cold day.

On another note, I thought 15psi was max on the stock head gaskets and then you need to go copper?

And how was he holding it in first? Manually shifting??

I wouldn't lose sleep over it thou, your not to blame, especially if you offered to detune it & he declined.

02TrueBlu

Established Member
KenneSVT said:
I got my SRT4. Pulls hard and runs great. Its very fast and I still got 26 miles to the gallon on the way back from VA. Ba

Bad news: I sold my L on Friday. My friend picks it up around 8 pm. Not even 24 hours later he tries to race a friend of his and blows a hole in the driver side of the block big enough to put your fist through. Evidently he held first gear out too long, the truck leaned out and put a rod through the block. At least this is how I think what happend. He said he turned around and his friend was behind him and he started to go, not even fast, he heard a tapping noise and it started smoking. Oil went everywhere. From where he started to spray oil and he stopped was quite a distance. From where he pulled out and the oil on the road started was about where 1st gear would have redlined at. Where he turned around at was a deserted part of the highway where people go to race. They turn around and race back on the highway. He is trying to say that I sold him a truck with motor problems and know it was about to blow and didn't say anything. I have owned this truck for over a year and a half with no problems. He gets it and blows the motor within 24 hours. He has a track record of not taking care of shite. He convinced me and my parents that he would take care of the truck and baby it just as I had. I guarantee you he grabbed the steering wheel and just stomped it. It hit 6000 or whatever the highest rev limit is and expected it to shift and instead just blew it. I am so pissed. He bought the truck and signed the title into his name. It was his mistake and is his problem. Any advice/ suggestions???

JP

i wouldnt even worry at all... friend or no friend. i had the same thing happen, but it was with a 4-wheeler. i had a raptor that was bored out and all the goods.. it could have been set up for drag racing (even had it tuned) SOMEHOW my buddy managed to blow it up and tried to blame it on me. he said i ragged the shit out of it..... DUH!!! thats what i built it for. needless to say we are not much of friends anymore due to his ignorance

Users who are viewing this thread