Good HID kit for the 07?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron57

Established Member
Who makes a good hid kit fogs and headlights for these cars? I would prefer a plug and play kit.

-Cameron

Cameron57

Established Member
The hid guy kit looks interesting. What wattage seems to be melting the housing?

PLASMAN

Don
Established Member
Who makes a good hid kit fogs and headlights for these cars? I would prefer a plug and play kit.

-Cameron

Dallas mustang has a good headlight HID kit that is plug n play. I have had it for about 8 months with no problem.
I previously had one from americanmuscle ($399) for 6 months that burned out on me, and they refused to honor the warranty. They referred me to the manufacturer in Tiawan. I'll never buy from them again.
I don't think there is a kit out there doesn't melt the housings yet including HID guy's. Read their vendor forum over on GT500 for more info, people 6 months ago still melting housings and not getting warranty taken care of.

I went with the LED fogs color matched to the HID headlights and it looks great at night. The fogs provide no help in lighting, but are cosmetically pleasing. The HID headlights are more than enough light at night and never need highbeams. Just my two cents...

http://www.dallasmustang.com/mustang-parts/product/HEADLIGHTS-HID-CONVERSION-2005-2011-KIT/17557

the pic in my signature below was before the LED fogs..

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Really that's interesting. I was going to get it with new fogs from HID Guy since my original got warped from another HID kit. He said he'd warranty it if it did melt.

Poster on another Form has had melted housings and no replacements for some time from them. :read:

Walk2Much

Established Member
I have read on another fourm that these hella lights (link below) will replace our stock fogs and wont melt from heat of HIDs. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Optilux-H71020051-Model-Halogen-Driving/dp/B0002MA3OY/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1WCTLDJ7PUISQ&colid=2RVOYSYGRHYG]Amazon.com: Optilux H71020051 Model 1300 Round 12V/55W Halogen Driving Lamp Kit: Automotive[/ame]

Rotarded

Brap
Established Member
gotta warn you, on coming traffic might flash you cause they think you got high beams on.

Probably because you just throw the HID bulbs into the housing without a proper HID projector with a cutoff. You are likely reducing your overall light output rather than increasing it (which is the whole reason you bought them to begin with, right?). You are just scattering the light all over the road as opposed to a focused beam straight in front of you. People that run these "HID" kits in a non projector housing irritate me.

Cameron57

Established Member
Probably because you just throw the HID bulbs into the housing without a proper HID projector with a cutoff. You are likely reducing your overall light output rather than increasing it (which is the whole reason you bought them to begin with, right?). You are just scattering the light all over the road as opposed to a focused beam straight in front of you. People that run these "HID" kits in a non projector housing irritate me.

please explain

Rotarded

Brap
Established Member
please explain

HID systems are not just the capsules and ballasts/ignitors. HID systems rely on special headlamp designs to better utilize their light output. This is often the reason that a factory HID upgrade can be over $1,000 -- you are getting different headlamp housings too.
Why is this important? It is important in the context of putting HID capsules in headlamps not designed for them.

Factory Housings HID capsules do not spread their light 360 degrees like a filament-based bulb does. This means that the lenses and reflectors must aim the light in a very specific way or there will be large hotspots and dark areas.
Looking head-on at an HID capsule, there is a yellow/orange area pointing downwards. This area always points down, regardless of how the capsule is rotated. HID headlamp systems actually block this area entirely. If not blocked, a strange yellow area would be projected on the ground, causing the rest of the headlamp to appear discolored. Some systems spread this yellow area out across a very wide area so as to make it hard to see.
There is also something known as a return-wire shadow. The small ceramic insulator that runs the length of the glass will actually cause a dark spot if the capsule is viewed head-on. A car with factory HID will have headlamps that hide this shadow; halogen headlamps will have a dead spot where this wire sits, usually at the bottom.
These two factors are the biggest contributor to glare and hotspots on non-factory HID installations. It is virtually impossible to correct them sort of installing different headlamps.
Additionally, the headlamp pattern is different on HID systems. When viewed frown directly overhead, the HID system will cover a larger area. So not only do HID systems put down more lumens on the pavement, they better spread it across the lanes ahead of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread