Good deal on some tires at Tirerack

Cobra-R

Established Member

Andy M

Established Member
Very interesting! How would these compare with the g-Force KD's which came on the R??? in both sticky-ness and longevity? and what does the tread pattern look like? or are they pretty much slicks?? For this price, I'd be willing to gamble on a set. Man, that is cheap for track tires...or even for use on the street?..

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Very interesting! How would these compare with the g-Force KD's which came on the R??? in both sticky-ness and longevity? and what does the tread pattern look like? or are they pretty much slicks?? For this price, I'd be willing to gamble on a set. Man, that is cheap for track tires...or even for use on the street?..

Andy,
They should be alot better than the KD's for the track. They are a competition tire, so don't be using for trips to the grocery store. :lol: Here is a pic.

bf_g_force_ta_r1.jpg

Andy M

Established Member
Thanks Brian.

I suppose the only negative here on these is the aspect ratio is a little shorter than our spec tires... at 35. Not a biggie though for track use, I would suppose? right?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Thanks Brian.

I suppose the only negative here on these is the aspect ratio is a little shorter than our spec tires... at 35. Not a biggie though for track use, I would suppose? right?

Andy,
I believe this is the size most guys are running for track tires. They also offered 275/40-18 on that list, but I didn't want to take a chance that the 10mm of extra tire width would rub the fender.

1Fast R

Tire size question:

What's the biggest size of tire on the back without creating a problem for yourself? Can you go any bigger than what the car came with? Or will you loose some footprints?

Thanks, Vicki & Bill

kevin

Originally posted by Cobra-R

Andy,
I believe this is the size most guys are running for track tires. They also offered 275/40-18 on that list, but I didn't want to take a chance that the 10mm of extra tire width would rub the fender.

wise choice. the larger tires rubbed on the inside wheel wells.

Andy M

Established Member
Never mind on the last question?.. I went to the tirerack web site and read up on these? They can be used on either side of the car. ie: they are symetrical. I think I am gonna order some of these for a spare set of track tires.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Never mind on the last question?.. I went to the tirerack web site and read up on these? They can be used on either side of the car. ie: they are symetrical. I think I am gonna order some of these for a spare set of track tires.

Sorry, hadn't seen your question in time to lend a hand, Andy. I figured how wrong can I go for that price.

1Fast R

Bill and I want to get some tires the same size that the car came with but not the 100 compound but 200 compound. As the 100's are so sticky it throws everything up against the fender wells, as everyone well knows. Where would be a good place to get tires like these and would 295's be OK for the rear?

Bill & Vicki

kevin

Originally posted by 1Fast R
Bill and I want to get some tires the same size that the car came with but not the 100 compound but 200 compound. As the 100's are so sticky it throws everything up against the fender wells, as everyone well knows. Where would be a good place to get tires like these and would 295's be OK for the rear?

Bill & Vicki

i tried the 275/40's front and rear. lots of rubbing in front on heavy compression. some rbbing in the rear. i wouldn't do it for road racing, but the rear would PROBABLY be ok for just street or drag driving

1Fast R

Kevin: Thanks for the quick reply. We found some tires at tirerack.com and found some KDW's like the ones that came on the car for $235 each. We are now trying to find out what compound they are. We hope about 280. Working on that now...Thank you.

Bill & Vicki

Cobra-R

Established Member
Kevin: Thanks for the quick reply. We found some tires at tirerack.com and found some KDW's like the ones that came on the car for $235 each. We are now trying to find out what compound they are. We hope about 280. Working on that now...Thank you.

Bill & Vicki

I just put some KDW's on my 01 Cobra. Nice tires, but not as sticky as the kd's.

Andy M

Established Member
I bought a set of KDW's mounted on some new R rims from TireRack just after I bought the R. I use these rims and tires for street driving. They look good, handle reasonably well - at least good enough for street driving...and it lets me preserve my sticky tires for track events only.

At this same time, I also purchased a new set of KD's from tire rack and those are mounted on my original R rims... these I have already done one track event at TWS with and they handled well on the track... at least I thought so?? I never went off the track that day, so I consider it a good day!!

And just this morning, I purchased a set of these competition R1A's from TireRack. I think I will have these mounted on my track rims so that I can try them out next time I go to the track?? damn!! - I need a third set of rims now??? when will this madness end?? :D

One thing for sure though - You really notice a BIG difference in the handling department when running on street tires vs. track tires!! :eek: There is a huge difference between the KD's and the KDW's! Of course, the KDW's don't throw up so many pebbles, will do much better in case the R rolls in something slippery like water? , and they will last alot longer as their rubber is not the same R compound that the KD's have. So far though, I have been very pleased with them. Oh yeah, one more thing... it is MUCH easier to burnout with the KDW's on the car... not that I ever do that though?? ;-)

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
I bought a set of KDW's mounted on some new R rims from TireRack just after I bought the R. I use these rims and tires for street driving. They look good, handle reasonably well - at least good enough for street driving...and it lets me preserve my sticky tires for track events only.

At this same time, I also purchased a new set of KD's from tire rack and those are mounted on my original R rims... these I have already done one track event at TWS with and they handled well on the track... at least I thought so?? I never went off the track that day, so I consider it a good day!!

And just this morning, I purchased a set of these competition R1A's from TireRack. I think I will have these mounted on my track rims so that I can try them out next time I go to the track?? damn!! - I need a third set of rims now??? when will this madness end?? :D

One thing for sure though - You really notice a BIG difference in the handling department when running on street tires vs. track tires!! :eek: There is a huge difference between the KD's and the KDW's! Of course, the KDW's don't throw up so many pebbles, will do much better in case the R rolls in something slippery like water? , and they will last alot longer as their rubber is not the same R compound that the KD's have. So far though, I have been very pleased with them. Oh yeah, one more thing... it is MUCH easier to burnout with the KDW's on the car... not that I ever do that though?? ;-)

I agree 100%. My street tires for the R is Bridgstone s01's or something like that. So much better for street driving.

Burnouts, hmm whats that????? Must be something you guys with 32 valves can do. :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

kevin

Bill & Vicki

so do you guys do any road track events???

1Fast R

No Kevin, we don't do any racing. Bill likes fast cars and he inherited some money lately so we had some people looking for a 2000 R for us and we found the one at Evergreen Ford in Issaquah 3 weeks ago. We are going to drive it around town and take her to a lot of shows this spring and summer so other people can enjoy seeing an R in person and not just dream about seeing one. We want to share it with people. Bill is talking about taking it on the course, though, for beginners at the Bellevue Wa show and Pony Trails events this July. Over 2,000 Mustang show up there every year for a 4 day event.

Vicki

kevin

No Kevin, we don't do any racing. Bill likes fast cars and he inherited some money lately so we had some people looking for a 2000 R for us and we found the one at Evergreen Ford in Issaquah 3 weeks ago. We are going to drive it around town and take her to a lot of shows this spring and summer so other people can enjoy seeing an R in person and not just dream about seeing one. We want to share it with people. Bill is talking about taking it on the course, though, for beginners at the Bellevue Wa show and Pony Trails events this July. Over 2,000 Mustang show up there every year for a 4 day event.

Vicki

don't know how far it is for ya. but we're having a track event in iowa next oct. can't think of a closer track than that for this group

Users who are viewing this thread