Good deal on an 01 GT + a few ?'s

89BIRD

Established Member
Have a chance to pick-up a 01 GT / auto with 36k on the clock for an already spoken price of $10k, might be able to get him down to $9k -
Has been garaged & pampered and is pretty much in mint condition.
good deal ?

Car would be a DD - what gas milage can I expect from the auto - mostly freeway driving say - 70/30 highway to city?

Octane requirements? I'm in Cali - 91 is the highest (guy says he runs 87 in it)

Did a search on inherent problems - doesn't look like much other than
issues with the plastic intake and coolant tube - any issues with the auto tranny ?

TIA

Note: car won't be modded - already have money pit in sig.

707Mach

Sounds like a good deal.

All you need is 87 unless you mess with the timing.

There's no reason you can't get 25+ MPG on the freeway as long as you're not doing 90, I tend to get 200-210 miles a tank under heavy driving with 4.10's all on the street.

Last edited by a moderator:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
i have a 5spd in mine and i get 26.5mpg cruising on the interstate @ about 70-75mph. This is after my mods I have though, the tuner really helped me on gas mileage

89BIRD

Established Member
i have a 5spd in mine and i get 26.5mpg cruising on the interstate @ about 70-75mph. This is after my mods I have though, the tuner really helped me on gas mileage

Wow that's great. Is this tune with hand held like a predator or similar or custom tune from shop or pro tuner?

TIA

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
yep just a canned tune from a handheld (SCT xcal2) i also have STEEDA u/d pullies, SLP lm1 catbacks and SLP o/r x

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
Dont worry about fuel economy. My BUILT and SUPERCHARGED GT with a tune got 20+ mpgs if I was driving it civil. These cars are pretty reliable, just do your best to diagnose any potential problems on a test drive. I have some friends running well over 120k miles with their cars and doing great, but unfortunately there are some guys that had issues, mainly with tranny related stuff.

89BIRD

Established Member
Thanks for all the replys. I bought if for $9.5k - go to pick it up Thursday.

During test drive it shifted very crisp on the 1-2 at full throttle - almost as hard as my built 200-4R in my TTA so I was stoked about that.:banana:

If I get 100k out of it with no major issues - I would have gotted my $$$ worth and then some.

The only question now is whether I'll leave it stock.:beer:

Last edited:

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
hell mine is on 82K right now, bought it with 30,500. Its been almost 52K hard miles on it and i mean hard, and I only replaced the clutch because of the track visits. Now my 3650 tranny is giving me problems. Has been since the 2nd week i had the car

mineralgrey01gt

loud-n-slow
Established Member
a few times ive gotten 26.5mpg traveling on the interstate, of course thats doing the speed limit with cruise control on

89BIRD

Established Member
Thanks for all the responses.

First full tank I put through it, I got 19 mpg, this with a heavy foot.

If it picks up to 21-23 with civil driving, I will be happy.

I'm gonna slap a K&N filter in and do the air box mod. Is it
worth throwing a can tune like the diablo or SCT on an otherwise stock car?
From what I've read on this board - from what I gather it's not really worth it without other mods. TIA

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread