Good clutch for CJ car just bolt ons no power adders

OxfordCoyote

Established Member
As the Title states, im looking for a good clutch for a 2013 mustang that has CJ, Mono, and full exhaust on E85. Car also has MGW and a Stainless clutch line.

basspro302

Established Member
I will be going with the mcloud rst. I'm having the clutch pedal sink at 6800rpm. I'm on the stock clutch also but it locks me out above 6800

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
The stock clutch usually doesn't like the higher RPMs needed to get the extra performance from the CJ.

I second this. The stock clutch is absolute crap for anything north of 6900 RPM. The boss Clutch is a little better, but will still lock you out on anything past 7600. To get the true benefit of the CJ set up, you should be prepared to spin it to at least 7500.

jn2

Established Member
nothing wrong with the stock one at that power point. Especially if its a DD

Like others have stated, the stock couch can handle the power with out slipping but it does not like to be taken past 7k. I have MGW's newest shifter and I still get locked out when trying to shift anything higher than 7k rpm.

To the OP, you could look into the Excedy Mach 500...

http://www.americanmuscle.com/exedy-mach500-stage3-grooved-1114gt.html

That is the clutch I am considering. Just hard to justify the cost right now since my stock clutch is not slipping.

5.0s 4 ever

Established Member
I would go with an Exedy Mach 500, that's what I run now. I was running a McLeod RXT twin disc, its a beast of clutch no doubt, but for a daily driver with just basic bolt ons it was overkill, I couldn't stand how noisey it was below 2k rpms

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
I have never had lock out problems with my stock clutch.

I have Gen 1 MGW, Blowfish bracket, Whiteline bushing insert, McCleod SS clutch line, DOT 4 fluid, & helper spring removed.

When I was N/A & Boss mani, I could shift at 7500 RPM no problem. Even when I installed my VMP TVS, I still shifted at 7000-7100 and the stock clutch has held up fine.

I think some people have issues and some don't.

Derek@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Consider the single disc McLeod units...

McLeod Super Street Pro (550 hp)

McLeod Street Extreme (700 hp)

A twin disc is a lot of clutch for a car with bolt ons, so these are the kits that McLeod developed for cars with N/A power. The Street Extreme will find it's way into my car, it uses the same ceramic friction material that is used in the RXT. The Super Street Pro is basically their version of a dual friction, it's uses an organic/metallic friction material. These will work with the stock flywheel but it's recommended to get a McLeod flywheel or something built around the 99-04 cars as they will provide more friction surface for the clutch.

If you have any questions about these, don't hesitate to contact us!

Thanks

Last edited:

DaBigBone

Established Member
Consider the single disc McLeod units...

McLeod Super Street Pro (550 hp)

McLeod Street Extreme (700 hp)

A twin disc is a lot of clutch for a car with bolt ons, so these are the kits that McLeod developed for cars with N/A power. The Street Extreme will find it's way into my car, it uses the same ceramic friction material that is used in the RXT. The Super Street Pro is basically their version of a dual friction, it's uses an organic/metallic friction material. These will work with the stock flywheel but it's recommended to get a McLeod flywheel or something built around the 99-04 cars as they will provide more friction surface for the clutch.

If you have any questions about these, don't hesitate to contact us!

Thanks

I was looking at those the other day but I couldn't find hardly any reviews for them at all

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
You won't consider a clutch from a manufacturer who has been building performance clutches longer than anyone else in the game because it's rated by "HP"? :dw:

jn2

Established Member
You won't consider a clutch from a manufacturer who has been building performance clutches longer than anyone else in the game because it's rated by "HP"? :dw:

Pretty much :p

I know they make good stuff, I just don't take them into consideration, mostly because of the HP rating. The excedy mach 500 is more than enough for my set up

Last edited:

Mark Aubele

Established Member
Will the single disc Mcleods shift at 7900 like the RST/RXT? Twin is just overkill for my setup, but I would like to do this once and be done.

centerforce

Established Member
Our Dual Friction clutch is perfect for street cars with bolt-ons. It has the added holding capacity, while maintaining a stock-like pedal pressure for daily driving!

kdaly

Established Member
just saw all the reply's to my comment.

Didnt know that. I never took mine that high. Sorry for the shitty advise

Users who are viewing this thread