good choice of degree?

sixt5

Established Member
im curently a general laborer for a horse farm and in a dead end supervisor job. im wanting to get a degree in something that can lead towards automotive marketing.

im thinking like a buisness marketing degree. i'd love to be able to sell/promote products and be able to travel to big shows and things. i love motivation and could use that to further experience and pay.

vertcobra99

dacube
Established Member
im curently a general laborer for a horse farm and in a dead end supervisor job. im wanting to get a degree in something that can lead towards automotive marketing.

im thinking like a buisness marketing degree. i'd love to be able to sell/promote products and be able to travel to big shows and things. i love motivation and could use that to further experience and pay.

Do you already have a college degree?

Planter

Banned
Communications Degree with a minor in PR or Marketing/Advertising.

reason I say this is because with a Communications Degree, your possibilities are endless.

The market is flooded with PR and Marketing Degree majors who are out of work.

If you do something like Digital Media Communications or something similiar, you can do a variety of jobs from photojournalism, to android and iphone app design, to web design, online advertising (selling advertising online, creating ads), video editing, video production, etc, etc, etc.

think big picture. your objective in this sluggish economy is to make yourself as valuable as possible, and you do that by being able to do a wide variety of things. In the event your career field is flooded or there's no jobs, you need to be able to do something else to earn income until you get your foot in the door somewhere.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
Communications Degree with a minor in PR or Marketing/Advertising.

reason I say this is because with a Communications Degree, your possibilities are endless.

you mean the possibilities are dead end.

I switch from com to business because getting a com job blows chunks. I had friends who spent 2+ years working temp jobs searching for a com job.

Planter

Banned
you mean the possibilities are dead end.

I switch from com to business because getting a com job blows chunks. I had friends who spent 2+ years working temp jobs searching for a com job.

your friend was probably stupid too. a Communications degree is not a dead end.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
A communications degree is simply another non specific 4 year degree. It will let you qualify for jobs that require a bachelors degree. But rarely do you see businesses stating that the minimum requirement is a bachelors of arts in communication. But you do see a bunch stating specific degrees such as accounting, nursing, business, engineering.

When compared to other degrees, a communications degree is just not as valuable.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
your friend was probably stupid too. a Communications degree is not a dead end.

ya, 4.0 GPA....degree in communications and psychology. sure was super stupid with that 4.0. and thats just one of my friends....he's actually going back to school to get a different degree now since he cant find any jobs worth anything for his degrees.

i had several other friends encounter the same thing. its why i switched out of com even though i loved it.

A communications degree is simply another non specific 4 year degree. It will let you qualify for jobs that require a bachelors degree. But rarely do you see businesses stating that the minimum requirement is a bachelors of arts in communication. But you do see a bunch stating specific degrees such as accounting, nursing, business, engineering.

When compared to other degrees, a communications degree is just not as valuable.

:beer:

swiseuf

Established Member
Just go get a degree, and make sure it's from an accredited four year program, not some .com degree or diploma mill. In this job market, unless you are rocking masters level paper, you will be fighting an uphill battle. Get some experience to go with one of the general business degrees mentioned here and you can move up the chain. I know one thing, you do NOT want to be a horse farm laborer for the rest of your life. You will be physically beat down by 50, with no education to fall back on...

TorchMach

Established Member
Try real estate.

I been doing it since I was 18, 22 now and I been doing good for myself.

Just a thought..before anyone says it. It is a hustle but you see the income directly.

projectslideway

Established Member
I'm Business Admin with previous automotive certificates and ASE certs... I hope to combine them when I graduate after my last 6 credits.

truebluedevil02

Captain Jackstands
Established Member
Get into the medical field. They are ALWAYS hiring. You can make around 25-30K/yr as a CNA with a little experience(6wk program), LPN's (1yr program) can make upwards of 35-40K, ASN (associate registered nurse) make upwards of 55-65K/yr, and you can go up from there to a BSN (bachelors in nursing) will allow you to work as a DON (director of nursing), NP (nurse practitioner) nearly 100K/yr, and more. It's crazy how many different things you can do. I never knew how much was available until I Got with my wife. I wish I could do those jobs cuz I would go for my ASN and be done with it.

My wife is a CNA, will be getting her LPN in a year and then her ASN a year later.
We have a friend who makes $42/hr doing nothing but passing meds at a nursing home as an ASN. Its crazy.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
We have a friend who makes $42/hr doing nothing but passing meds at a nursing home as an ASN. Its crazy.

The license as an RN is valuable as it allows that person to do so many revenue generating (CPT reimbursable) things. In a nursing home they often only have one RN on who directs a bunch of LPNs and CNAs and therefore pays them more than average.

Right now signing bonuses for RNs can be upwards of $15K.

However, you wont become a Director of Nursing without an MSN or a BSN and MBA in HCA.

Users who are viewing this thread