Good CC and Type of Engine for Starter Bike?

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
It'll be my first, I've ridden my buddies 'Busa before but this is a starter bike for me. I don't want "too much" bike to start out with. I willnot ride stupid, but I still prefer to start out smaller. I am looking at a 550 and a 750. Comment? Ideas?

Thanks guys,
John

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I should also say I am going cheap cheap cheap used. All bikes eventually frame ride, so for my first I am going dirt cheap. And I prefer cruisers to sportbikes.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Cruisers are significantly less powerful than sportbikes. I would not recommend a modern 600CC sportbike as a good beginners bike. A Hayabusa is an even worse choice, and, frankly, your buddy is an idiot to let you take that bike out without ever having ridden before. He may trust you, but that is a LOT of bike for someone with no experience to control.

I can say that I am glad you liked it, and, if you decide to do it, welcome to the two-wheeled brotherhood.

I think a 550 or 750 in a cruiser would be fine because they aren't overly powerful.
Make sure the bike isn't heavy, though. Lighter bikes are easier to control and more confidence inspiring. And easier to pick up if/when you drop them. :D

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
All the manuf. make a good 600-800cc cruiser to start on. The only diff. is in the looks. They all perform about the same. I perfer suzuki but to each there own.

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I agree about not getting something with more CC than I can "handle" to start with.

But is a 550 just alittle too small on a Suzi GS550TX? (I know that the 550 desiginates the engine size lol )

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
ISUPonyBoy said:
I agree about not getting something with more CC than I can "handle" to start with.

But is a 550 just alittle too small on a Suzi GS550TX? (I know that the 550 desiginates the engine size lol )

Depends on how heavy you are. Every 500+ out there should be able to haul you without any problems at more than legal speeds, unless you weigh like 350 lbs or something. You won't get bone crushing acceleration, but when you are starting out, you don't really need it. Concentrate more on your riding skills (ie, low speed control of the bike, looking out for road hazards, predicting the movements of other drivers, etc). This is your first bike, not your last; you'll upgrade in a 1-2 years most likely.

Don't forget gear either. That can easily run you another $400-1000 depending on what you want to buy.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
ISUPonyBoy said:
I'm in the muscular build range of ~200-220lbs.

I'm not familiar with cruisers, but I would tend to say any 550+ will be fine.

These might help you:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Default.aspx?PageID=4

The Suzis you are talking about are older bikes aren't they (like early 80s/late 70s)? The would be fine as starter bikes, but, being so old, may have some maintenance issues. Not sure, as a new rider, you want to have to spend a lot of time fooling around with that type of stuff, but, maybe you do!

I would probably go with a 750 myself, if I were looking at something that old, but could probably have just as much fun on a 550. I don't weigh as much as you, though (180lbs).

ISUPonyBoy

Mr. Bright Side
Established Member
I have no issues working on something, but a money pit is not what I want either. And yes it is an older bike.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Yeah - I don't see how any of those would be a problem then if working on them isn't a problem.

Didn't realize you are NIUPonyBoy on the corral.

Users who are viewing this thread