Good breed of dog for someone with allergies

bluebullitt256

Established Member
Just want to get some opinions on what a good breed of dog would be for someone with slight dog allergies.

-Looking for one that isnt huge but not one your going to step on either
-laid back, not a ton of maintenence
-friendly

I have a decent sized fenced in back yard that it could stay in during the day while i am at work.

Any advice is welcome on picking a breed for someone with allergies. Pictures are great too...

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
check out Labradoodles

The only Labradoodle I ever had the pleasure of personally knowing was the most hyper dog I've ever seen. It was good size and was literally running up the wall doing circles in mass amounts of joy.

relentless

Established Member
The only Labradoodle I ever had the pleasure of personally knowing was the most hyper dog I've ever seen. It was good size and was literally running up the wall doing circles in mass amounts of joy.

Friend has one and is pretty good dog. Their kids have allergies and the dog doesn't set them off. You do have to deal with the traits of each of the breeds.

awful knawful

Established Member
We have a Havanese. A fruity lil dog but we love her. She's tough too, she plays with 5 kids under 6 all day long. Loves to be with people all the time.

mcdover

Established Member
We have a Havanese. A fruity lil dog but we love her. She's tough too, she plays with 5 kids under 6 all day long. Loves to be with people all the time.

+1 on the Havanese. They have hair, not fur. Don't shed and don't produce the dander that cause the allergies. Very smart and great with people and kids.

Ironhand

Banned
German Shepherd... But then again I am a proud owner of two of them. The oldest one is very laid back around the house.

JPD5801

Established Member
As a dog owner with allergies , there is a lot of bad information here. Check out Dog Breed Info Center®, DBI. They have a list of dogs that are ok for people with alergies.

The list is good, but it will largely depend on your allergies. I have a yelow lab, and he doesn't bother me. Also, a friend of mine who doesn't have allergies is bothered by cats that are supposedly great for allergy sufferers.

I would say you need to spend time with the dog before you buy/adopt to see how you wil react.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread