Good brake upgrades?

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Enjoying my new to me Cobra but I feel like the brakes are not really up to par. This is only scary when you compare my daily driver is a F250 Crew Cab. I realize there are some nice big brake kits but I'm considering a cheaper pad/rotor kit right now as I have maybe 1 or 2 months left driving this car before she gets put up for winter.

I have some Hawk pads on my F250 and they made a world of difference even with stock rotors.

Thanks in advance!

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
Change the break fluid, some pads and rotors. If still not happy then go for bigger breaks

I personally run porterfeild r4s pads and slotted rotors, and stainless steel lines

Last edited:

weaselp1

Established Member
Hawk pads are nice.

FTBR sells a 14 kit you may want to look at.

+1 on the FTBR 14inch front kit....great value for the price and OMG the cobra stops! PM if you have any questions about it OP. I got the kit with Russell SS lines and ferodo ds2500 pads and i could not be happier :banana:

Davey07

Established Member
I think he may be looking not to spend 2200, but somewhat around 500-800, like me. I'm also looking for a better brake upgrade. my current setup is terrible and were on the car when i got them, some ebc garbage.

spike_africa

Established Member
Good pads, good DOT4 fluid, and stainless front brake lines will make a world of difference in feel and stopping power. Brake pad choice is like oil choice everyone has one they like. Hawks are ok and easily purchased, I like Satisfied brakes GS6 pads. But they are hard to come by. Recently did DOT4 fluid and Hawk HPS pads on the girlfriends Jetta TDi and made a great difference in braking power and feel.

cobracide

Established Member
Good pads, good DOT4 fluid, and stainless front brake lines will make a world of difference in feel and stopping power. Brake pad choice is like oil choice everyone has one they like. Hawks are ok and easily purchased, I like Satisfied brakes GS6 pads. But they are hard to come by. Recently did DOT4 fluid and Hawk HPS pads on the girlfriends Jetta TDi and made a great difference in braking power and feel.

This ^

You do not need more for a street car to trip the ABS. Also - good TIRES. I run GS-D3s up front and NT-05s in the back right now. Using the FTBR 13" slotted rotors all around for some functional bling.

sonic cobra

Established Member
You need more brake to match that 629 horsepower. If you are serious about brake upgrade the easiest and most cost effective choice might be the M-2300-x 4 piston brembos that were original equipment on the 2000 cobra R
Noticably better on the street and with the right pads and brake cooling ducts, very effective on the race track.
Don't know about the cost effective part, Just checked prices $1100 to $1400. Damn, I paid $890 at Tousley Ford in 2007.
All the brake you will ever need short of a dedicated track car

WannaWhine

Alaskan Steed
Established Member
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I am definitely looking for something under 1,000. I haven't been happy with the brakes in normal day to day driving and certainly nervous on the slowing down side of our 1/4 track.

Looks like I would be best to go with pads/rotors/DOT4 fluid.

Any thoughts on rotors?

cobracide

Established Member
Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
People that are 'happy' with the OEM Cobra brakes typically are people that have not been exposed to cars that stop well. Are the two piston floating PBR front calipers that came on your Cobra decent? Yes, they are decent. Just like the suspension, the differential, the clutch, the exhaust system, the power level and cooling system are all decent. Everything is decent. Nothing on the car, as it came from the factory is clearly outstanding with the exception of possibly the power level.

Ford is in the business to make money, putting expensive components on the car at the factory will raise the vehicle's cost. Raising the vehicle's cost puts the car over certain buyer's budgets and less units will be sold. This equates to Ford making less money. Ford is not in the business to do that.

This is why people mod their cars because they came from the factory only 'decent'. They mod the power level, the cooling system, the exahust, the CAI, the suspension, etc. Only after they do those mods do they finally realize that their brakes also need to be modified as they are clearly the weak link. Brakes, for whatever reason, always seem to be the last thing people think about modifying. Power always seems to be the #1 mod.

There is a reason that Ford put 14" Brembo brakes on the 2007 Shelby GT500. That reason was 500 hp. There are a LOT of Terminator owners that are still running the 13" OEM brakes with 500 rwhp or more.

When I put the 14" Brembo front brake conversion kit on my car, it was immediately one of my top four favorite mods I did to the car. When you see serious brake mods on a car they usually include large Brembo calipers and two piece rotors. People that are more budget minded opt for Stop-Tech or Baer kits which sometimes include heavy one pc. rotors. But Brembo still is the undisputable top dog when it comes to brakes, which is why we offer them.

When you want to run with and pass Z06 Corvettes on a race track driving a Mustang, you're going to need brake and suspension upgrades and we are here to help:

FULL TILT BOOGIE RACING

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Users who are viewing this thread