good asking price?

96snake719

Established Member
Hey Im curious to know what I should ask price wise for my car...I said I would never sell it because I have put A LOT of work and money into it! but Im looking at terminators now for somthing a little more streetable. Anyway the body has 90k on it newly built motor has about 3k on it... def could use a paint job body isnt perfect but I have WELL over 10 grand into the motor and everything else for that mater. everything done to the car is in my sig, what do you guys think? thanks Nick

Mustang Matt

Established Member
My guess would be $9-$12k.

It's hard to find a buyer though because most banks won't finance such an old car.

mustang3X

Established Member
I was going to say around 8,500. No one is going to buy a car that needs paint unless they get a killer deal. Take a look at CL and the forums for proof.

While most people like a few performance parts buyer can get scared when the list gets too long, and personalized. Maybe some guys on this forum won't but the general cobra buyer will, and they won't buy unless the price is low enough to cover any unforeseen problems they think they will have.

Banks still loan money on these cars, it just won't be much since it will be a percentage of blue book. I got loans on both of may last cobras, a 97 and 98.

Just list it for the 15K, you never know, someone might be looking for your exact car.

Kiohtee

Established Member
How bad is the paint exactly? I'd guesstimate $10-12k, maybe more if it's exactly what a person is looking for, maybe less if the paint is as bad as you make out.

$15k is teetering toward a Terminator and even though at your power level you're more than capable of demolishing a stock one as well as some lightly/moderately modded ones, a Terminator for the most part is more valuable overall and preferred by most. They're easier to get a loan on/find within book prices as well generally carry more clout.

But you never know though, list it for what you think it's worth and let people know the price is negotiable and just listen to what potential buyers have to say. FWIW, my bank doesn't really have a year/mileage restriction (just no salvaged titles) and will loan up to 110% of NADA's Clean Retail value! I could have gotten something like $7,300 or so for my 160k '97 Cobra instead of the $6,450 I needed!

Last edited:

NOVA98Cobra

Street Defiers
Established Member
On the forum you will probably get around $9,000 because people camp on the for sale section and see sick sn95 cobras go for around 10k all day. You will honestly get more on craigslist because people are less educated on our cars. Some kid with way to much of daddy's money will only look at your HP numbers and pay your asking price.

00_silvergt

Established Member
My bank told me my car is only worth $4,400 lol. Its a 97 cobra with 89,000 miles. Now Im not saying your car is worth $4,400. Im just saying it will have to take a cash buyer to sell

93&99cobrasvt

Established Member
Ya it's a rough market especially for a car that needs paint as paint jobs aren't cheap. I'd say around 7k to 8k if u find someone who knows what there buying. Good luck

Kiohtee

Established Member
My bank told me my car is only worth $4,400 lol. Its a 97 cobra with 89,000 miles. Now Im not saying your car is worth $4,400. Im just saying it will have to take a cash buyer to sell

Your bank is retarded. My bank just loaned me $6,450 on a '97 Cobra coupe with about 160k miles. Then again, my bank will loan up to 110% of whatever NADA Clean Retail is.

mustang3X

Established Member
Your bank is retarded. My bank just loaned me $6,450 on a '97 Cobra coupe with about 160k miles. Then again, my bank will loan up to 110% of whatever NADA Clean Retail is.

Mine is 80% of high NADA retail. Just have to shop around for one that has the numbers you need.

00_silvergt

Established Member

that same bank wouldnt lend more than $6,600 for the car 2 years ago when it had 86,000 miles. the thing about my car is that it was an out of state purchase. so maybe they were afraid of lending more on a car they couldnt see:shrug:

96snake719

Established Member
Thank you for all the input guys! It was just an idea kicking around in the back of my mind but from the general consensus it looks like I'd be better off keepin it and enjoying the 650 horse lol

mrxr250rider

Established Member
My guess would be $9-$12k.

It's hard to find a buyer though because most banks won't finance such an old car.

this sounds fair. its worth atleast 10k in my eyes and thats for a quick sale. id try selling it for 12k. def sounds like a sick cobra besides the paint

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Hey Im curious to know what I should ask price wise for my car...I said I would never sell it because I have put A LOT of work and money into it! but Im looking at terminators now for somthing a little more streetable. Anyway the body has 90k on it newly built motor has about 3k on it... def could use a paint job body isnt perfect but I have WELL over 10 grand into the motor and everything else for that mater. everything done to the car is in my sig, what do you guys think? thanks Nick

What makes the current car not as streetable as a terminator?? Is it because of the JT trim?

96snake719

Established Member
Yea with the cams I have in there combined with the JT trim it's a screamer all the power is up top...! Boost starts out slow but it comes on like a freight train towards the end lol

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Part it out, I did and made 8 grand on parts and I still have a stock car left. Just needs a couple small parts like a pulley or two, some seats and wheels and a little labor to make her run again.

mystical

Established Member
^What he said, better off parting her out unfortunately will get more that way.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
Not many people have 10-15 grand to spend but a lot of guys with sn95's have 500-2,000 to spend on parts. I had a few guys come and remove the parts they wanted and some of them gave me the stock parts I needed to make the car whole.

Users who are viewing this thread