Good Aftermarket Wheels

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Well, I'm going to start looking around for new wheels for the cobra. When I have to buy new tires, I don't want to have to buy these puny 245's again, knowing I will soon swap out wheel sizes. I've seen the wheel replicas wheels and they look nice, but I've heard they aren't near as strong as the OEM wheels. I'm definitely wanting to go with the stock cobra style wheels. Since I can't go with 99-01 wheels in 9" and above, the 95 cobra r's will do fine. So the question is, what company makes very good quality cobra style wheels for our cars? One other thing, I definitely don't want the 03-04 cobra wheels. I think the spokes are too fat and I hate the idea of looking anything like a Terminator. Thanks in advance for your help guys.

One more question for the handling guys. I love the look of 10.5" wheels with 9" up front, but how will this effect handling and cornerability. Is a 9" wheel the best option for handling? If so, I will do 9" with spacers in back. Thanks again.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're set on 95 R's get the real thing direct from ford. They are inexpensive at about $160 per wheel and they are of high quality and low weight.

From a handling standpoint it's really going to depend on what you are doing. If you're a serious road course or auto-x guy then going with a 10.5" wheel in the rear isn't going to be the best idea for 2 reasons.

1. Our cobra's with the IRS handle very neutrally, adding more contact patch in the rear vs. the front can send the car in to understeer or "push" characteristic handling. Better than oversteer but not as good as neutral.

2. (this is most important) The use of a 10.5" wheel on the rear of an IRS equipped mustang 95% of the time requires some type of spacer. This moves the weight of the wheel off the hub and on to the studs. During cornering those loads can become quite large. Start adding sticky tires to the mix and the problem compounds on itself.

Now with that said, if all you're worried about cornering wise is good street handling and maybe an auto-x here or there, then by all means go with the staggered fitment wheels. Otherwise stick with 9" wheels at all 4 corners. If you want a bit more meat in the back step up to a 285 section width on the rear wheels.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
Torch10th said:
1. Our cobra's with the IRS handle very neutrally, adding more contact patch in the rear vs. the front can send the car in to understeer or "push" characteristic handling. Better than oversteer but not as good as neutral.

I have to disagree that any stock mustang, including our cobras is very neutral.

It pushes like no other when stock.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
quadcammer said:
I have to disagree that any stock mustang, including our cobras is very neutral.

It pushes like no other when stock.

That's not really what I've experianced with my 99. The couple track outings I've been to this year on street rubber and stock suspension has produced linear handling, depending on how aggressive I'm coming in to a turn I've actually been borderline on oversteer, especially while trail breaking.

But either way, adding more rubber to the rear isn't optimal for handling in a mustang application.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Torch10th said:
That's not really what I've experianced with my 99. The couple track outings I've been to this year on street rubber and stock suspension has produced linear handling, depending on how aggressive I'm coming in to a turn I've actually been borderline on oversteer, especially while trail breaking.

But either way, adding more rubber to the rear isn't optimal for handling in a mustang application.

That's what I thought. I think I'll be sticking with 9" wheels. Will a spacer in the rear with 9" wheels produce much of a load on the studs? I'm trying to fill in the rear wells as much as I can.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
The spacer is for aesthetic reasons, not rubbing.

You could run them on the street for aesthetic purpouses, but if you go to an auto-x, open course event or any other situation where you know you're going to be placing the car through it's paces, I would remove the spacers.

Users who are viewing this thread