Gonna upgrade brakes...few Q's

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
OK Im probably gonna just get a set on Ebay for some slotted/drilled rotors...I founds some for $160+31 for shipping.....I really dont see a difference in any of the rotors other than cost and some dont do zinc plating (which Ill get)....but what pads should I look to get....I found a set that are made of ceramic....Any opinions on some good ones to buy at a good price...Hell even rotors if you have a suggestion----Thx JT

Bingo13

Established Member
Hi,

I would stick with the stock Brembo units unless you upsize the rotors. As for pads, in our part of the country I highly suggest Porterfield R4-S. In a colder climate on the street I would go with CarboTech Bobcats.

jimwood

Established Member
Brakes and Rotors really depend on the application.
Road Racing requires different pads. Just for the street, you should be okay with any mid grade brake.
Also, if you have a choice of slotted or Drilled and/or slotted, go with ONLY slotted. Apparently, some have problems with Cross drilled rotors cracking under certain circumstances. But if your not on the track, Cross drilled are fine.

In fact Im road racing and Im going with Ford Racing Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors. I let you know if they crack.

IMHO the stock brake pads are pretty damn good compared to other brake pads out there.

The regular Hawk braking pads, i.e. street application, didnt hold up well at the track and were gone in one days worth of track event. The performance was decent. By comparison Stock lasted 10k miles and two track days.

Last edited:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
FYI I had cross drilled powerslot rotors on my last cobra and they cracked. Car was a daily driver, not really tracked.

jimwood

Established Member
Shit man. Now I'm worried, Ill bet my great Ford Racing Rotors at 107 each are going to crack the first time out. Oh well, I guess thats a risk I knew and assumed when I bought them. PowerSlot too, those are good.

03yellwguy, for some reasons I have this sneaking suspicion that you may be a little more "demanding" then the average 03 driver. But thats just based on speculation. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

JTSVT

Equal Opportunity AzzKker
Established Member
Thx for the opinions guys....I guess Ill stick w/ the regular pads and go slotted...I have heard about the drilled ones cracking but mostly in extreme circumstances..I dont wanna cross that road so ill just go slotted.....Thx again---JT

Users who are viewing this thread